Objectivism Online Forum

Efficient Thinking by Barbara Branden - Dallas, TX

Rate this topic

The Culture of Reason Center, Dallas, Texas

www.thecultureofreasoncenter.com

EFFICIENT THINKING

CD Audio Lectures

by Barbara Branden

Efficient Thinking is being offered with the written consent of Barbara Branden.

Friday August 22nd through January 23rd, 2008. (All Lectures begin at 7:00 p.m.)

Admission: $5.00 per class. All payments are non-refundable. Each payment is due on the day of class. In the event of inclement weather or an emergency, we reserve the right to cancel or reschedule. Lectures are for adults only. Children are not permitted on the premises. Participants are expected to make childcare arrangements. Thank you.

For location address and or any further questions, please call 214-263-2002 or Email: [email protected]

This course will run weekly on Friday evenings at 7:00 pm beginning August 22nd 2008

This course includes discussions on the following issues: Why a science of thinking is necessary — the relation between efficient thinking and intelligence — the philosophical base of efficient thinking — the nature of intellectual focusing — the various levels of focusing — the problem of concentration — the nature of the subconscious — the subconscious as a "Univac" — the proper use of the subconscious — the psychology of "inspiration" — the effect of repression on thinking. The nature of the conceptual level of consciousness — the nature of intelligence — the destroyers of intelligence — thinking in essentials — the destructiveness of treating emotions as tools of cognition — the manner in which wishes and fears can distort the thinking process — "emotional-perceptual" thinking. The importance of knowing the source and validation of one's concepts — the role of integration in thinking — forms of the failure of integration — evasion as the sabotaging of consciousness — common aberrations in thinking and consequent mental habits — the inability to think in principles — the misuse of abstractions — the "socialized consciousness" and the destruction of language — failures of discrimination in thinking — the error of intellectual "package-dealing" — the danger of false axioms. Psychological causes of inefficient thinking: the surrender of the will to efficacy; failure of self-esteem; the "malevolent universe" premise; "social metaphysics" — the source and conditions of intellectual certainty.

August 22nd An Introduction to Thinking (50:15)

August 29th An Introduction to Thinking Part 2 (50:54)

September 5th Focusing and Problem Solving (49:30)

September 12th Focusing and Problem Solving Part 2(45:50)

September 19th Automatic Mind Functions (49:50)

September 26th Automatic Mind Functions Part 2 (46:50)

October 3rd Conceptual Level of Consciousness (47:09)

October 10th Conceptual Level of Consciousness Part 2 (46:15)

October 17th Conceptual Level of Consciousness Part 3 (49:10)

October 24th Conceptual Level of Consciousness Part 4 (48:00)

November 7th Emotions As Tools of Cognition (50:50)

November 14th Emotions As Tools of Cognition Part 2 (49:58)

November 21st Language and Definitions (50:00)

December 5th Language and Definitions Part 2 (46:20)

December 12th Common Aberrations in Thinking (50:07)

December 19th Common Aberrations in Thinking Part 2 (45:35)

January 9th The Fallacy of The Stolen Concept (68:39)

January 16th Causes of Inefficient Thinking (53:00)

January 23rd Causes of Inefficient Thinking Part 2 (45:00)

This is an original lecture that was approved by Ayn Rand before her division with the Brandens. Please note these statements from The Objectivist - May, 1968 "To Whom It May Concern" By Ayn Rand:

"This is to inform my readers and all those interested in Objectivism that Nathaniel Branden and Barbara Branden are no longer associated with this magazine, with me or with my philosophy.

I have permanently broken all personal, professional and business association with them, and have withdrawn from them the permission to use my name in connection with their commercial, professional, intellectual or other activities.

I hereby withdraw my endorsement of them and of their future works and activities. I repudiate both of them, totally and permanently, as spokesmen for me or for Objectivism.

The reasons are as follows."

"It is important, at this point, to state the exact nature of my relationship to NBI and to THE OBJECTIVlST.

NBI and its various affiliates (NBI Book Service, NBI Communications, NBI Press, NBI Theater) were organized and owned entirely by Mr. Branden (with the participation of Mrs. Branden). I had no business or financial interest in any of these corporations and no part in their management. My interest was strictly and exclusively intellectual: I permitted Mr. Branden to use my name and my ideas, in the sense that his organizations were to teach my philosophy and could recruit students from among the readers and admirers of my books; I retained intellectual control over the content of what was to be taught."

"I must state, for the record, that Mr. and Mrs. Branden's writings and lectures up to this time were valid and consonant with Objectivism. I cannot sanction or endorse their future work, ideas or ideological trends."

-----

- Donovan A

I would also like to note that The Basic Principles of Objectivism Course by Nathaniel Branden has been advertised on ObjectivismOnline.net before from others without any negative comments directed towards the material or the lecture series. And as a matter of fact, an introduction to Efficient Thinking by Barbara Branden is included in that series as well. The complete lecture series on Efficient Thinking is very interesting both from a historical perspective and in content. If you have never heard it before, I highly recommend it.

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.p...261&hl=nTOS

"Nikki Allen has started a group in Grapevine listening to Nathaniel Branden’s original audio course on the philosophy of Objectivism. It’s probably not too late to join this one, either! For more information, you can contact Nikki via meetup.com at http://aynrand.meetup.com/71/member/1623018/"

Edited by Donovan.A

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...