Objectivism Online Forum

Help Me Shortlist These Judges!

Rate this topic

Qwertz

There are something like 1,000 Federal judgeships. Not all of these are filled, but most of them are. Nearly all of them hire a clerk, and most hire more than one.

I'm about to start applying to judges for a clerkship.

But boy howdy are there a lot of them. I need to winnow them down, and I need some help.

1) The first way I'm going to narrow the field is by type of court. There are 94 District Courts, 13 Circuit Courts, and 1 Supreme Court. There's no way I'm getting a Supreme Court clerkship. I didn't go to Yale. So that one's out. Besides, there's no one there I'd want to work for. I'd prefer a District Court for the experience, and I think they fit better with my qualifications. I wouldn't say no to a Circuit Court clerkship, however. So really, I've only narrowed the field by one court.

2) The next way I'm going to narrow the field (and this is where I need your help!) is by location. There are District Courts in all 50 States, plus D.C., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands. I've already eliminated a few States categorically, for various reasons: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Massachusetts, and Utah are right out. I'd love to get out of Key Midwestern Swing State, but I'm not going to give up the home field advantage that comes with applying to clerkships in the same state as my law school.

So here are things I need to know: What do you like about your state? What have you heard about other states? I mean, I've heard plenty of things, but I want as much data as I can get. Where is a good place to live and work?

3) Once I get a shorter list of judges I can start narrowing by jurisprudence and other individual characteristics. But right now, all these judges are just too much to handle.

~Q

I'd have said that Illinois, California, New York City, and DC are right out on account of the gun laws leaving the citizen completely stripped of his right to carry. But recent developments may change that (I'm not holding my breath).

So that aside, I'd still say California is ridiculously expensive and also subject to nonsensical laws (which were what made it so expensive). New York is nearly as bad in terms of expense and the onerous government which caused it. Even outside the city, you are still subject to the problems caused by its government. (I've heard it described as a "money vortex" which sucks the rest of the state dry) Most of the East Coast from DC up is the same way, with some small notable exceptions.

From the sound if it, you'd probably also want to eliminate states which don't have a lot of development. Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska and so forth. Utah's full of Mormons, who although polite folk as individuals make collectively for a strange government best avoided. I'd also steer clear of run down areas like Detroit, Gary, St Louis, and the like.

It may help to get a map.

Those are all exactly the sort of data points I'm looking for. I've got a map of the judicial districts and I'm checking and crossing out as I go.

Wyoming I was thinking of keeping because it is a unique district - it is the only Federal district that covers land in more than one state. District of Wyoming includes about 50 sq mi of Idaho, courtesy of Yellowstone National Park (as well as a bigger chunk of Montana). It's next to impossible to get convicted of a felony committed in the Idaho portion of the park. It is extremely interesting. See here. But I will keep your suggestions in mind.

The city suggestions are also useful, because some states have more than one district. I can eliminate districts with bad cities without eliminating the whole state.

~Q

Virginia is nice if you avoid the coast, which is a swamp. Seattle is not bad, but the cost of living there is steadily increasing, however the rest of Washington and Oregon are very pretty. (Oregon especially--just as pretty as Washington, and cheaper.) Colorado is very nice, with some awesome scenery, plus you could join FROG. There are scads of Objectivists living in the general area of Denver. Ohio isn't bad (that's where I live, again), and Indiana is pretty nice as well.

You may want to give Texas a try, also, if you can stand the heat.

I'm not sure what your point was about midwestern swing states. I lived in WI for a long time, but I don't really know what you're after. If you'll consider the state, shoot me some questions about it and I'll answer happily.

Aside from that, the Phoenix area is nice if you can bear heat and heavy trafic.

Key Midwestern Swing State is where I live right now. That's all that was about. Specifically, I'm interested in taxes, regulations, property values, cost of living, weather. That sort of thing. If there's something you particularly liked about WI, or disliked, toss it out there and I'll chuck it in the hopper.

~Q

Aside from that, the Phoenix area is nice if you can bear heat and heavy trafic.

It is nice, if you like your weather sunny and dry (which I very much do). If you don't, you may find Seattle appealing - personally I find that depressing and I'm not alone, if you check the suicide statistics for Seattle (they're somewhat high). But some people I've met find it beautiful so it depends on the individual.

As for Phoenix, while the traffic can be heavy in places, it's not nearly as bad as Chicago or LA.

Specifically, I'm interested in taxes, regulations, property values, cost of living, weather.
Washington has no income tax and sales tax is only a bit more than Ohio's. You also don't have to mess with city income tax, in case you've dealt with that here. Weather in Seattle is a YMMV issue -- less radical temperature variation, dry summers and moist winters (the opposite of Ohio). Bigass storms like last week don't happen, and there is half as much rain there -- but the rain drags out slowly over a long time hence the "always rainy" reputation. Property values declined relatively little in Seattle in the post-subprime crisis era. BUT -- beware anti-development laws. There are already real limits on your freedom to do things to your land if you are near water, in general they are on the cutting edge as far as enviro-fascism goes (there is a phenomenon of "burn bans" where fires in the fireplace etc are illegal, when announced).

The courthouse for E.D.Wa. is in Spokane, which is away from the coast.

That's unfortunate about the storms. I love storms, like the big one last week in Key Midwestern Swing State, which may or may not be Ohio. But no state income tax sounds lovely!

I do think both Washington districts will have to go on the list.

~Q

Unless you like the outdoors and can look past crappy winters and humidity to enjoy the beautiful summers, you should look elsewhere.

The taxes and winter aren't appealing in WI... But if you dig the Packers and the dairy lobby, the state and local governments will be willing to bow down to your chosen pressure group. The cost of living isn't terrible in most places like Sheboygan, Ladysmith and Manitowoc...