Objectivism Online Forum

Class Dues

Rate this topic

Shinokamen

After searching this site, I was unable to find anything discussing class dues.

By "class dues" I mean fees which are charged in many high schools for unknown reasons (to me). Often there is a vote by the class, but that doesn't seem right to me. I would like some thoughts on this subject.

I feel that they exist, in part, to 'prepare' children for taxes. They are put in place by the majority, they pay for things which the students may not want, and there are unknown punishments for disobeying. I thought we were supposed to have "free and public schooling."

After searching this site, I was unable to find anything discussing class dues.

By "class dues" I mean fees which are charged in many high schools for unknown reasons (to me). Often there is a vote by the class, but that doesn't seem right to me. I would like some thoughts on this subject.

I feel that they exist, in part, to 'prepare' children for taxes. They are put in place by the majority, they pay for things which the students may not want, and there are unknown punishments for disobeying. I thought we were supposed to have "free and public schooling."

I've never heard of "class dues". Where are you from?

I live in Colorado.

Class dues work are put to a vote by all the members of the class, with a win by a simple majority. Each member of the class usually has until the end of the school year to pay the fee or he is not allowed to check out. I have never known anyone to try this, though.

The fee is only $10-30, but I feel that the principal is that which is important.

The proceeds from this go to pay for dances and the like, which I believe would be more justly paid for by an admission fee.

They exist in private universities; I would not be surprised if they existed in a private high school, but it would be interesting to know of such a thing happening in a government school. The purpose of class dues in private universities is to pay for the class-related jazz, such as the bench inscribed "Gift of the Class of 1931" and the annual mailing asking you to contribute. It covers the costs associated with "being a member of The Class", and it's up to you to decide if you want to participate. What you said implied that you are in a public government high school and are still being pressured to make contributions (and I am certain that it is pressure, not enforceable legal obligation). The penalty for not contributing is maybe being snubbed by the social set. This is quite different from taxation, where you literally have no choice. So I think a better analogy is that this is preparing you for a lifetime of feeling obligated.

I am not sure of the punishment exactly, but as I said one of the requirements to check out at the end of the year (along with turning in class books, having lunch account paid off, having all school library books in, having locker clean) is to have your class dues paid.

I am not sure of the punishment exactly, but as I said one of the requirements to check out at the end of the year (along with turning in class books, having lunch account paid off, having all school library books in, having locker clean) is to have your class dues paid.

What do you mean by 'check out'? They won't send you your report card, or what?

I know when I was in Highschool, heck, even middle school, There were class dues.

I live in Ontario, Canada.

There was no vote in the class, just an announcement from our teachers stating that the cost for a student to properly equip them was X amount of dollars. I never really understood it myself, Since we were required to have all needed classroom essentials (Pencils, pens and what-have-you). I heard the excuse to get new textbooks to help replace destroyed ones, but I've never seen a new Textbook in my Highschool in my entire career. If you don't pay they call your household to ask for it directly from your parents. If they say they cannot afford it, you're off the hook.

We're also supposed to have 'free' schooling paid for by the government.

If this is a private school/College/University, then yeah, I guess your stuck :)