Objectivism Online Forum

Help! I need to locate a quote

Rate this topic

I am writing a term paper for school and want to use a Rand quote but I need to cite it and don't remember exactly where it is. It is either in VOS or PWNI

"A moron, raised to the level of a genuis, would paint graffiti on the sides of a computer... then die of starvation."

Anyone know what essay this might be from?

The fact that a brain cannot project an alteration of its own nature and power, that a genius cannot project himself into the state of a moron, and vice versa, that the needs and desires of a genius and a moron are not identical, that a genius reduced to the existential level of a moron would perish in unspeakable agony, and a moron raised to the existential level of a genius would paint graffiti on the sides of a computer, then die of starvation—all this does not enter the skulls of men who have dispensed with the law of identity (and, therefore, with reality), who demand "equal results" regardless of unequal causes, and who propose to alter metaphysical facts by the power of whims and guns.

The Metaphysical Versus the Man-Made part II, The Ayn Rand Letter vol II, no 13, March 26, 1973; p. 185

Environment doesn't make the man. Giving a moron a genius's job, a genius's clothes, a genius's paycheck and a genius's access to supercomputing facilities is not going to turn a moron into a genius.