Objectivism Online Forum

Devil's Advocate

Rate this topic

Hello all!

I'm a young (15) Objectivist from Maine, who discovered Ayn Rand at the beginning of the year by reading "Atlas Shrugged". It compleatly changed my life.

I'm here to mostly meet with other Objectivists, discuss ideas, etc., and ask questions. As my name implies, I will often take the opposite side of an issue to see what arguments can be formulated against it (this does not mean that I actually endorse the idea I propose. If it does, I will say so).

I look forward to having an exciting time here,

Devils_Advocate

Hello all!

I'm a young (15) Objectivist from Maine, who discovered Ayn Rand at the beginning of the year by reading "Atlas Shrugged". It compleatly changed my life.

I'm here to mostly meet with other Objectivists, discuss ideas, etc., and ask questions. As my name implies, I will often take the opposite side of an issue to see what arguments can be formulated against it (this does not mean that I actually endorse the idea I propose. If it does, I will say so).

I look forward to having an exciting time here,

Devils_Advocate

Hah, thats a weird coincidence. I'm also 15, and live in Maine.

hey Im 15, I found out about objectivism when i read Anthem back in February, and i loved that book and she seemed like a unique and interesting writer and people were telling me how good Atlas Shrugged was. So then i decided to read it, i finished it yesterday, it took me 2 months! At first i felt sort of scared and lost and i felt like throwing the book away, becuase i found something true about myself in the book, and something that i had been looking for. Ayn Rand has allowed me to see reality for the first time and what some poeple are really like. It seem like before i was in this kind of dream, and i use to be really shy, but now i feel like i have to speak out about my opinoin and not care about other people,or tolerate people treating me anyway they like.

Miss Rand has also shown me what to strive for in life, and i use to feel this thing in my stomach and it felt like it was holding me down and wouldnt let me go, i realized i wasnt giving myself enough credit, that i allowed what people say affect my emotions, and i use to not like having any close friends but now im fine, since im mainly concerned with myself from now on.

i think the over all objective of the book did affect me alot, about happiness as your goal in life, reason as your initiative and having your own self esteem. but i have to say the end sort of killed me, part of me wanted Francisco to end up with Dagny, he was my hero, but John Galt is alright too.

Welcome to the forum! What motivated you to read Atlas Shrugged? And what other works of Ayn Rand have you read so far?

I think this will awnser a lot of questions outlined above:

I decided to get Atlas Shrugged at Barnes and Noble on December 28, 2007, using a Christmas gift card (lol), because I was heavily immersed in the Republican movement and heard that this book had some strong pro-Capitalist themes. I was a little busy, so the first 300 pages took a little while, but by time I finished those, I was captivated. I read the rest of the book within a week. I loved it, and went and got the Fountainhead. Finished that, and then moved on to Anthem, then We the Living. I was almost compleatly sold - and then I read a bunch of essays in her nonfiction books, I supported it.

Edited by Devils_Advocate

Welcome!!! I almost didn't read this thread because I thought it was about the movie. I discovered rand around your age, too. I was lucky enough to have a family and friend or two who respected Rand.

Oh good! My family and friends all think I'm nuts!!

It seems that a lot of us are 15, including me, except that I live in Florida. I read Atlas Shrugged last summer, and, like you, it changed the way I look at the world. My family is very conservative, but I've exposed my dad and grandmother (who pretty much lives with us) to Atlas Shrugged a few weeks ago. It's fantastic that people in this generation are actually seeing reality. I was dragged along by my best friend's girlfriend to see Wall-e last night, and I walked out after 15 minutes after realizing that it is a subliminal propaganda film 5 minutes into the movie. They stayed, but I couldn't exactly keep silent while watching a film that aims, towards five year olds(!), against industry, technology, and big business. My point is, this is a perfect example of the next generation's antithesis of Objectivism. I don't know how I would have reacted before Atlas Shrugged.

Thank God I'm an atheist.

Lol I love puns :D

Family: Who Needs It :thumbsup:

On *exactly* the opposite note, I watched a miniseries on the life of Stalin once. (Played by Robert Duvall if I recall correctly.) One of his children committed suicide (driven to it by him) and some of his other family members sniped at him at the funeral. After they left, he said, in what was basically an aside, "My family. What a curse they are!" (The real curse would have been revealed to Stalin by one swift look in a mirror, which is why I say this is the *opposite* situation to that of anyone here.)