Objectivism Online Forum

Tax Spent On Abtract Art

Rate this topic

Charles

I thought some mind find this of some interest:

Im considering starting a notebook, similar to the one Ms Rand kept, documenting altruistic absurdities. In just glancing through a local paper in rural england I immediately spotted a £3000 council art installation - an elaborate series of metal wires imitating a stack of hay, on a metal crate - suspended 'miraculously' on the water of a local pond... part of a £70,000 regional arts project...

For pictures of metal hay see: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/publish...cle_20353.shtml

Besides council art installations, of which there are many (frequently misplaced and distasteful stabs at modernity), I notice numerous occurences of the government handing out 'research' grants to arts students to investigate, for example, 'the socio-political background of black and white televison circa 1950'...

I must have missed something; I was under the impression there were students attempting to discover cures for alzheimers and parkinsons, investigating more efficient fuel injection systems...etc

There is no doubt a massive imbalance between the number of art/humanities students and the number of science/math student (UK)- which I put down to state funded further education: In a privatized system Universities would flourish/demise on intake numbers, and students taking out loans would be forced to apply to institutions which gave them future employment prospects based on good degrees. This would in turn increase the number of science/math students - for which there would be a higher demand.

I usually laugh at these type of things rather than feel irritated. There was an artist in Canada who was funded by the government to hang dead rabbits in a tree as an art exhibit. I've heard there was a pianist in the US who wrote a song called "3:22" or something. His masterpeice was him holding his hands over the piano for that period without moving or touching a key. Haha