Objectivism Online Forum

Feds to sell controversial Slope leases

Rate this topic

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/466276.html

The federal government intends to hold a major oil and gas lease sale this fall in portions of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska, officials in Washington, D.C., announced today.

The Bureau of Land Management, which acts as landlord for the Indiana-sized reserve on Alaska's North Slope, today issued a "record of decision" spelling out land to be leased.

Too bad that neither candidate for president has any interest in drilling up there. McCain seems to place a greater value on the "pristine" nature of Alaska than the exploitation of any natural resources contained there. And we all know where Obama stands. Any movement seems to be 4-8 years away.

• 11 months later...
Too bad that neither candidate for president has any interest in drilling up there. McCain seems to place a greater value on the "pristine" nature of Alaska than the exploitation of any natural resources contained there. And we all know where Obama stands. Any movement seems to be 4-8 years away.

Isn't there only like, an estimated 9-12 month's worth of America's oil up there anyway? I have no idea, I just read that somewhere.

Why do we even have a National Petroleum Reserve or a Bureau of Land Management in this country that you have to get permission to lease land from? What's wrong with just letting people privately own and develop land by themselves? I really don't get it why people go on about being "addicted to foreign oil" when the US has tons of oil here, but it is illegal to drill or mine for most of it. What is the reason for this?

It's ok USA, Canada has no problem drilling in the north. To quote Daniel Plainview "I'm drinking your milkshake Eli!!!" Oh, we will be sure to sell it back to you though.

Sorry couldn't resist... :lol:

As for the amount, this might help... Looks like about 16245 Million barrels of oil and 10 times that much gas.