Objectivism Online Forum

best one-liners in Atlas Shrugged

Rate this topic

If it is now the belief of my fellow men, who call themselves the public, that their good requires victims, then I say: The public good be damned, I will have no part of it!

That's the full context!

(Sorry, I would have edited my reply, but the function wasn't available for some reason.)

This is, in my opinon, possibly one of the best line in the whole history of literature:

JG: Tell that bastard to look at my face, then look in the mirror, and then ask himself if my moral stature was ever at the mercy of his actions.

I also love this one (the first line is just to clarify what the second means):

Mr. Thompson: Don't you see? What I've got to offer you is your life!

JG: It's not yours to give, Mr. Thompson.

The whole Galt @ the Wayne Falkland is brilliant.

Edited by Devils_Advocate

"To remind us-in moments of discouragement, in the loneliness of exile- of our true homeland, which has always been yours too, Miss Taggart"

-----------

"The only competition left is in the application to the Board for permission to cancel trains. The railroad to survive will be the one that manages to run no trains at all"

-----------

"When a politician or movie star retires, we read front pages stories about it.But when a philosopher retires, people do not even notice it"

"They do, eventually"

• 6 months later...

"I couldn't help it!"

"It was not my fault!"

I laughed every time one of these was repetitively mentioned. Reminds me of so many people around me, giving endless excuses for why their lives aren't the way they were "entitled" for it to be. One wonders how so many people have such an incredible "lack of luck" in their lives...

Reminds me of so many people around me, giving endless excuses for why their lives aren't the way they were "entitled" for it to be. One wonders how so many people have such an incredible "lack of luck" in their lives...

That reminds me of the short story by DH Lawrence called "The Rocking Horse Winner", which I just wrote an essay for in my literature class.