Objectivism Online Forum

Stage 1 Gentoo Installation

Rate this topic

Prometheus98876

I am considering flexing my Linux muscles and installing Gentoo, using the Stage One method. I am doing this because at least in theory it should allow me the maximum configuration during installion and will allow me to apply more optimisations than Stage 2 or 3, though I dont think that I will be overly aggressive in applying every optimisation that I can find/think of.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has played around much with Gentoo and can share any of their opinions as to whether the benefits you get from performing a Stage 1 install (which apparently can take many hours) iks actually worth the time and effort. Or just whether you had anything useful to say about Gentoo in general.

• 1 month later...

I compiled Gentoo from scratch many years ago. It took me two days, which you are highly unlikely to get back from any performance improvements, if any. However, it you want to learn more about Unix/Linux architecture, you will probably find it worthwhile.

Frankly, its more mental masturbation than anything else. The only real reason I can see for doing that is if you have some special need or want to learn more about the system.

Other than that, there is no reason to not just have some kind of install script. As for having everything built from source, with or without a custom kernel, the difference in speed is negligible. Both my OpenBSD and Arch linux machines (which are binary installs) are lightning fast.

• 1 month later...
I compiled Gentoo from scratch many years ago. It took me two days, which you are highly unlikely to get back from any performance improvements, if any. However, it you want to learn more about Unix/Linux architecture, you will probably find it worthwhile.

Yeah, I am was really ever expecting huge performance improvements. It was more about learning a little more about Linux, and well because it looked like an interesting thing to try do. I would esimate if I was lucky I would get a 5% performance boost in general, maybe a lot more on some older hardware like my other machine.