Objectivism Online Forum

"Exercise in a pill."

Rate this topic

Mammon

They still need to invent the pill that motivates you to get on the treadmill.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...1827342,00.html

There was this study done on "moderate-intesity" exericise as well. They asked,

Still, the underlying question remains: are diet and exercise a reliable cure for obesity?

And then conclude...

So, if you're aiming to lose weight and keep it off, his message is clear: don't slack off.

I might be a cynic on the subject, but I think these are just excuses for people not to put any actual effort into anything. I think the pill would be useful as a sort of "booster" to an already exercising person though.

Agreed. This is just more "It's ok to be lazy" and "Everybody's a winner" excuses.

Oh yeah, I found another article as well. I really should get a blog and write one nice, put-together post on this because all three of these articles casually connect in a big way.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...1827106,00.html

For instance, read this...

Chemistry is not destiny, of course. Lightfoot hopes to use his research to help determine which patients may need a bigger boost to get moving — he thinks that perhaps close supervision by trainers or rewards for exercising will encourage genetic lazybones to get to the gym. And maybe one day, he speculates, there might even be a drug to compensate for what your genes won't give you. A drug that makes you want to exercise? Now that's a pill worth swallowing.

Not quite, but there is this pill that exercises for you!

Eh, I like the work out I get from doing Kung-Fu, but it isn't just the exercise in and of itself - by that, I mean it isn't just the muscle growth or the physically feeling better. Most of it is psychological. I set myself a goal and I work towards achieving it. It gives me a feeling of being efficacious and gives me a sense of self-worth. Also, the whole philosophy behind studying martial arts is not to just get fit, or just get strong, but to bring a sense of inner-calm to oneself; that is, by the repetition of the physical principles of being relaxed, of trusting in your body, in not trying to pre-empt everything, you start to send a psychological standing order to your brain.

Now, this is just my experience, but I'd be fascinated to learn if anyone knows any more about this link between physical and mental action, how the repetition of principles applied to how you physically handle tasks, effects your psycho-epistemology.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that this sounds good and all, but the problem with exercising is not some mystical, genetic force which empowers you to want to exercise - it's all mental. The reason you lack motivation is a contradiction between what you claim you want and what you actually want, and the reward one ultimately gets from exercise is one of... well, I don't want to say purely mental, but more spiritual, that is, the product of exercise is an integration of efficacy in mind and body, the application of one's values towards one's actions, and the effect of those actions upon ones mental health (in a positive direction).

Ya dig?

Whatever happened to eating vegetables and fish? And I'm NOT talking about the veggies that are pre-packaged for you.
Many people don't live on quaint Greek islands. As you probably know, fish has become one of the great politically-incorrect evils where you can't eat wild fish because you're endangering the natural stocks and you can't eat farmed fish because farmed fish is intrinsically evil since it is not natural and it pollutes the environment and sometimes they escape and compete with Natural Fish. As for vegetables, it's great if you have a farm of your own where you can grow your own tomatos, beans, leeks and so on because a nice ripe summer tomato cannot be beat. That's pretty unrealistic as a way of living, especially in the winter when all that is naturally available is twigs and dead leaves.

So I think the only reasonable solution is to eat pre-packaged pigs, sheeps, cows, chickens, fishes, canned tomatoes (I recommend San Marzano type), various other kinds of pre-packaged vegetables, processed cheeses, breads and so on. Always get the best available, to the extent you can afford it.

As for vegetables, it's great if you have a farm of your own where you can grow your own tomatos, beans, leeks and so on because a nice ripe summer tomato cannot be beat. That's pretty unrealistic as a way of living, especially in the winter when all that is naturally available is twigs and dead leaves.

My grandparents live in a surburb and they used to grow their own veggies until my grandpa became too weak to do it, which was when he reached 80. One of the reasons I think he has great health is because of the gardening, and his diet.

I remember working on the garden with him as a kid, growing your food can be a very esteem building thing. I think it would nice to see people starting their own gardens and growing some of their own food. Processed food is good, and I understand the chemicals are used to preserve them. But there is still no way to get around the better taste of vegtables straight from your backyard.

Maybe people would have time and money to start their own garden if they didn't work for the Federal government for 4 months out of the year?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=magnifying-taste

This is another article on the same subject. It says these taste modifiers could come on the market quite soon. I think it would go a long way to "curing" obesity as well.

The odd thing about this is, the end of the article said that the food your mother eats during pregnancy affects what you like to eat. My mother eat Beef and Chedder sandwitches from Arby's when she was pregnant with me. And I've always, always loved them. Sometimes I get mad cravings for them too. :(

On the subject of inherited taste... I really can't imagine how that could be true as a rule. I mean, by the time the nutrients arive to the baby in the womb, they're already broken down. It isn't like there is something being registered to the baby: "This is beef. This is cheese'. Now, I could imagine that, if your mother took a lot of pottasium supplements, you might find a craving for bananas, but that's still very sketchy.

This is going to screw up natural selection big-time. I LOVE fast food restaurants because the fat, lazy, stupid people who live off welfare all die of heart attacks by the time they hit 40. This pill will allow fat hillbillies who didn't even graduate high school to have more and more kids before they die, thus causing the end of the world.

This is going to screw up natural selection big-time. I LOVE fast food restaurants because the fat, lazy, stupid people who live off welfare all die of heart attacks by the time they hit 40. This pill will allow fat hillbillies who didn't even graduate high school to have more and more kids before they die, thus causing the end of the world.

Well, on the flipside smarter people will live and develop new ways to put those lazy people to work.

I think we should employ convicts to tend gardens. That would be awesome. A team of convicts growing me some turnips.

There used to be quite a few prison farms across Texas, and much of the South, but I think civil rights groups have effectively ended that. It's more important for our prisoners to watch cable TV than to do anything productive, you know. :P