Objectivism Online Forum

What do you dream about?

Rate this topic

D'kian

I have been having truly bizarre dreams lately. Usually, I go for a period of a couple months without remembering any dreams, and then I go for about a month having tons of insane dreams. Lately, I've been trying to write them down.

The following is probably the most bizarre dream I've ever had, and it was only part of a series of weird ones:

Me and a friend of mine were walking around at night through downtown Houston (except downtown Houston actually looked like downtown Kansas City for some reason). Anyhow, my sister who lives in Arizona showed up and we were all wandering around in the dark between these buildings. Then, my friend suggests we go into this brick building, so we do. When we get inside, the building turns out to be Epperson House, which is the architecture/urban planning house at a university I used to go to. Epperson in real life is really small, but this one was really spacious. Anyhow, when we get in there, frickin' BILL O'REILLY is standing there. So, my friend takes out this big round cracker, which is supposed to blow up when you throw it at something, and he tosses it like a ninja star at Bill O'Reilly. O'Reilly catches it in his mouth, and it doesn't explode. It's a dud! So, my friend turns to me, says "shit" and pulls out a laser gun. Meanwhile, Bill is just standing there frozen with this horrified look on his face and this cracker in his mouth. So, my friend shoots the gun at O'Reilly and blows him up! WTF. That's just the first part of a weird dream...but it's the weirdest part.

I can see why I'd dream about crackers and laser guns, but the Bill O'Reilly thing just totally confuses me. ;)

In regards to pre-cognitive dreams - this is simply the rule of Large Numbers. It is a mathematical CERTAINTY that we will have a "pre-cognitive" dream at some point in our lives. Watch http://herebedragonsmovie.com/ at the 20:00 mark for an explanation of the calculations involved.

Has anyone had a dream that involved them actually realizing it was a dream?

This is not at all uncommon with me. In fact, whenever I realize that I am dreaming, I take advantage of that to do some things I would not otherwise normally do in real life ;)

Edited by KevinDW78

Lets see..the main ones that I remember are:

Being lost in a huge forest that was part of a toystore while my dream-self was an adult toy shopping for myself

Dreaming that everything was in binary code.

Dreaming that I was doing a World of Warcraft paper, ie learning to play the game.

Weird stuff like that, if I have normal dreams I never remember them.

Edited by Prometheus98876

I had a really odd experience last night. It's not unusual for me to continue a dream, but now I'm having related dreams, ro sequel dreams. Last night I dreamt I could determine, by analyzing data no less, why oil has become so expensive. I awoke from that dream for some reason, then went back to sleep at once. Next dream I was arguing with some people about the reasons oil has become so expensive. It was like having a sequel to the first dream.

I think I've been having that kind of sequel dream for a while, but until last night I wasn't really sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very odd dream last night.

It took place in an offworld base, kind of like Atlantis in Stargate, but not exactly alike. Some people and I had found a field of very strange plants which produced, get this, a kind of living energy source. So we took one sample back to base. We tested it and found it behaved very much like a battery, with a great deal of energy stored within. Fine so far.

Next we'd give it to the chief engineer, who was supposed to test it to power the base. But after a few hours he'd left the organic battery to one side and went to do womething else. Then the military people took it to power their weapons, but the same thing happened. Then it was moved to the arifield to power the radar, and again it was left aside and forgotten. The battery kept being sent to less power-demanding spots, and it kept being unused. It also kept getting smaller and loosing energy for some reason. Finally when it put out only a little energy, the janitor used it to heat a foot bath. Throughout I kept wondering why no one used it for something useful, and where was the energy going if no one used the battery.

So I took a ship and some poeple and we went back to where we found it. We dug around the field and found ruins of a mdoern civilization, naturally more advanced than ours. The ruins were in relatively good shape, but strewn with emanciated corpses. We determined the dead had starved (don't ask me how). We also found a lot of remnants of organic batteries, all small and all used for very small tasks, like cooking.

So we picked another battery and made the desicion to power our ship with it. As soon as we'd decided to do that, we lost interest in the battery and went on to do something else. From time to time we'd decide again to use it, only to again loose interst in it. Eventually the battery shrivelled up like the other one had and, finally, we could think about using it without forgetting to do so. Of course, by then it had too little power left as to make it useless.

One of the scientist in my crew suggested an experiment. I don't know what it was because I dind't see it. But he then announced the battery included a mind-control device that made poeple forget to use the battery for anything at all, or made them loose interest in it. That's why energy was being used up, until there was too little energy for the mind control device to work, or to do much else.

And then I said "Of course! That's how the viros destroyed this world!" My thinking was, they would create a perfect power source, cheape, non-polluting and with industrial strenght, but would make it impossible to use. That's about when I woke up.

Three thigns about this dream:

1) It feels a lot like a Stargate episode. That's not surprising since I've been watching Stargate SG-1 in strip siyndication daily for the last three months, plus SG Atlantis once a week. It's not unusual for me to dream about things I watch or read.

2) There's a lot of detail and it went on for a long time. The reason is I wrote much of it down when I woke up from the dream (around 3 am, BTW). There is more detail I did forget, like names and faces. I'm not sure if the lenght is typical of all my dreams, but it seems about right.

3) There's no symbolism at all.

D'kian.., At first I just though that your dream was going to just be something weird and I wasn't even going to continue reading it, but then I figured someone else could have thought the one about the one I relayed above and so probably had some point in describing it here. I was right; that was quite an insight into the type of energy device an environmentalist would want built. lol It's funny, but I also see it as being completely correct.

It of course reminded me of a dream that I had under somewhat similar lines about 5 years ago.

In real life earlier in the day I was thinking about if everything that could be invented had already been thought of. It sounds kind of silly to say it but you have to understand what I actually meant. I wasn't meaning that everything had been invented, that's just plain silly, just that somewhere someone had at least already conceived the notion of it's possible existence. For example, interstellar space travel or quantum teleportation or something like that.

That night my own subconscious provided me with my answer.

It was a simple example really. Most people have seen the pancakes where you can simply pour the batter pre-made from a big plastic open mouth bottle. Now imagine a similar concept but with regards to bread. Pourable bread. But wait there's more! lol. This pourable bread comes with it's own specially designed metallic plate such that the instant the bread "batter" hits the plate acts as a catalyst create a highly exothermic chemical reaction with the specially designed bread batter so that it instantly "self-cooks" when it hits the plate. Obviously, this idea is at least possible with the right chemical engineering of the plate and the bread "batter"; actually engineering it would be the challenge.

But the point is by this simple dream I both proved to myself subconsciously that the day's earlier thoughts had to be wrong (given that I had never previously even conceived of such a concept, and it surprised the hell out of me in my dream when I "poured" out batter and freshly-baked bread was instantly created) and more importantly as a result I had one of the most creative lines of thoughts of my lifetime--while sleeping. So while it's true that I came up with a way for it to possibly work in reality the next day (the plate was specifically engineered to be a catalyst to some specially engineered chemical components of the breads batter), it still shows how powerful and complex one's subconscious mind can be.

D'kian.., At first I just though that your dream was going to just be something weird and I wasn't even going to continue reading it,

So you didn't think it was weird? :)

but then I figured someone else could have thought the one about the one I relayed above and so probably had some point in describing it here.

Well, the main point is that it was a very unusual dream, and that I mannaged to retain so much of it. Not o mention that it was well-structured from a narrative ponit of view. That's very unusual.

I was right; that was quite an insight into the type of energy device an environmentalist would want built. lol It's funny, but I also see it as being completely correct.

Thank you. However, the point has been amde over and over in places such as this, not to mention by Jack Wakeland and Rob Tracinski in The Intellectual Activist.

It of course reminded me of a dream that I had under somewhat similar lines about 5 years ago.

Now, that's interesting. I do tend to dream about pressing problems, but usually the rather more immediate kind, like deadlines at work, presentations, trips, etc. My subconcious doesn't seem very intersting in more abstract issues, not during dreams.

I had a dream a couple of nights ago where me and my family were taken hostage inside an (empty) walmart by a mcdonalds employee (you know how sometimes they'll have a little resteraunt at the front? It was McDonalds in this one). He was attacking anyone that approached him with mace, so I had my brother go and try to chat with him (without getting maced) while I snuck off and tried to get some sunglasses so that I could confront him. But he caught me - and then the dream ended (probably a good thing, too).

Oh, and I once had a dream where Karl Marx came to our school. THAT was scary.

One of my favorite dreams has always been what I call the "James Bond dream". I'm at a really, really high class party - it's being held at a place that looks a lot like the Grand staircase on the Titanic. I'm in a tux, drinking wine, the whole chabang. Then suddenly, the glass ceiling explodes! So I jump down a laundry shoot and land in a room filled with laundry. And there's this girl there, laughing hysterically. And I've changed my clothes, too. Suddenly, I realize, this is all kind of wierd and rediculous. And I realize I must be dreaming - but, like all things, I have to prove it to myself. So I grab one of my dad's old Star Wars toys from the 70s (don't know how it got there) and - I ate it. Swallowed it whole. Realizing that that pretty much proved it, I woke up.

• 3 months later...

I had two other very odd dreams recently.

First, I may ahve mentioned one of my jobs is to put together samples for our customers. This involves obtaining samples of 150 to 200 products, checking them to see their in good shape, not expired, etc, and labeling each one. Recently we've been trying to seel fruit juices and frozen juice concentrates, and I've handled those as well.

So in my dream I'm putting the sample together and someone tells me "What about the vegetable juice?" which naturally wasn't there.

At that exact moment I had two feelings both at once 1) I'd been told about including the missing juice and forgotten about it and 2) I'd never been informed about it.

I went with the second option, all the while knowing that was wrong. But if I tried to recall details of the first option (when I'd been told and/or how), none would come to mind and I'd also know I'd never been informed.

It was quite unsettling.

On to the other dream.

I talk in my sleep ocassionally. Sometimes I talk so loud I wake myself up (I'm serious). The other day I had trouble sleeping (upset stomach), and kept dozing off and waking up several times during the night. I found myself kind of walking up but not entirely and talking to my dreams. I can't quite explain it, but I'd dream of someone saying "We need to price these 20,000 items" and I'd reply (aloud) "No way! We were asked for perishables and your list doesn't include even one!" This happened at least three times during the long night.

The only other experience that remotely ressembles this one was a fever-induced hallucination I had years ago when I spiked over 40 celsius due to pneumonia. So it's possible I had a stomach bug that gave me a fever and I was actually hallucinating, not dreaming. But they felt like dreams to me. In any case, I did take my temperature the next morning and it was normal.

• 3 months later...

I had a really odd dream.

To begin with in the dream I was an alien detective named Isa of Brax. Actually that's not so odd, since Isa is a character I'm developing and I often think about her. Dreaming of her seems right enough. But this time I was investigating two siblings, brother and sister, whose minds had been transfered to other people's bodies (that's a cliche I don't much care for, which amkes the dream odd).

The really weird part is that I was able to determine the siblings' minds were erratic, tending towards normalcy but never quite reaching it. In time they'd die and have to be transfered again. That was the crime I had to stop.

Unfortunately it gets fuzzy after that. But it might serve as the basis for an Isa of Brax story.

My dreams are typically a pretty decent blend of reality and fiction so that at times I recall an event or the feeling of it, like deja-vu, think about it and realize it was just a dream I had at some point. I do not think that I dream often though or I do not recall them much.