Objectivism Online Forum

Stress

Rate this topic

What exactly is stress? What causes it? Some people are more victim to it than others. What type of person experiences stress the most, i.e. is it biological or psychological differences or some combination of both that cause these discrepencies? Moreover, if stress is unavoidable, what is the best way to deal with it? I know this is a lot of questions, but I am trying to demystify the answers for myself.

Not apparently, stress can be bad for your health. But the definition of stress seems to be so subjective that it can eventually break down to "a psychological condition resulting from doing something." My father has had some troubles with his heart. He does keep a busy work schedule and travels frequently (about once a week). But he also doesn't eat well or exercise often, and he smoked during 10 of his younger years, so it's hard to estimate the extent that stress has played in his heart problems and his persistently high blood pressure (if at all).

Edited by adrock3215

Cortisol is a hormone closely related to biological stress responses. I tend to think there are definite biological predispositions to becoming "stressed out". Some people never get stressed enough - daredevils, etc., others seem to be continually near their breaking point. You're right that it's an extremely broad term. Some stress is good stress, it often motivates people not to procrastinate.

When your bodie's adrenal response kicks in, any heightened strength, awareness, etc. comes at the cost of your long-term health. If you find it difficult to deal with day-to-day life, and frequently experience stress-related emotions, your body is probably producing an adrenal response of some sort all day.

What exactly is stress? What causes it?
Since there are many kinds of stress, and since the relative strength of it varies between people, I'll just talk about the usual way I personally get "stressed out."

I am prone to doing too much at once, which often leads to stress. I will try to do three or four things simultaneously, when I should be doing maybe just two, and I start to get irritated. I'll realize that I am "failing" at all of my tasks, because I am stretched too thin. Very soon I "shut down" and begin engaging in a default activity like surfing the 'net or playing a video game. Often (and ironically), during the time spent with this "default" I could have reasonably accomplished at least one and maybe two of the tasks I am avoiding. And that compounds on itself viciously. ;) It also doesn't help that sometimes I can do all of the tasks at once that I'd set out to do. But nevertheless I will still feel rushed, irritated, or stressed while I do them because I am close to my personal work limit.

If I am to "relax," I have to schedule the time or consciously remind myself; I don't do it automatically. This is a balancing act that I am still not very good at, and I will sometimes feel guilty for taking time away from all of my tasks. It is the way I try to "fix" my stress. Otherwise, I just let the stress pass by waking up in a better frame of mind, or by reminding myself of context and perspective, which often helps. Or I will cut back on my tasks and reorganize them. Unfortunately, I later tend to return to doing too much.

I do not experience some other common types of stress at all, such as physical fatigue or "breaking down," which seems to make other people emotional, or stress in a "tight moment" where a lot of pressure is involved, where others seem to shut down like I do with too many tasks. If anything, I get more relaxed during times like that; things are very clear, and I just move forward. However, an additional type of stress I have experienced is the "big life change" stress, such as moving to another city or abruptly changing jobs. It usually lasts two to four weeks, and it amounts to my feeling "down" for no apparent reason. But perhaps that can't properly be described as stress.

If I were to say, stress is a psychological condition which is amplified by or feeds into emotions, and it can lead to physical issues such as feeling tired (sometimes with me, anyway). There are two types of people: those who are prone to stress, and those who aren't. And those who aren't seem to stress about the opposite things as those who are.

What exactly is stress? What causes it?
My stab at it (purely as a layman) ...

I think stress is close to "worry". If stress could speak, it would say: "there's a risk that something will go wrong... I might not be able to cope". Stress is accompanied by an alertness, but it is a "worried alertness". That is to say: it is not "pure worry", but worry accompanied by a notion that one is in the process of responding. On the other hand, it is not "pure alertness" in that it is alertness accompanied by a belief that there is a "high" probability of failure. From what I understand, while the higher alertness can be useful, too much of this state -- adrenaline flowing, high-blood pressure -- is supposed to be the cause of health problems.

Another word for stress might be "strain". Or, it might be "anxiety". It's a simple result of the fact that your mind and body are an integrated whole that mental/emotional strain can cause physical strain. When your mind is saying "I need to be ready!" your body will naturally tense up--and tense muscles become tired and achy. Other things happen as well.

I agree with JASKN that there are several different common types of stress. Urgency stress (where everything has to be done now, now, now!) doesn't really bother me, in fact, I kind of enjoy it provided someone isn't in my face while I'm trying to get things accomplished. (That latter is largely because I experience some social anxiety.)

The stress that really bothers me is when I'm trying to get ready for something major or important and I'm *not sure* I've got all the bases covered or that I will succeed in my attempt. I really become frightened and depressed, and it is self-fueling because I become unable to sleep and sometimes even unable to eat, which only makes me feel worse. At times like that, I find that I really just have to put aside the thing I'm worrying about (even if this pushes me closer to deadline without preparation) just to get my shakes under control. I reassure myself that *I can handle it*. It's worst when I have a long time of waiting before I can really do anything. When I get really upset I fall into displacement activity--cleaning, doing laundry, organizing stuff--that burns off the physical fidgets. People say that this "takes your mind" off what you're stressing over, but I find that it's the opposite: it lets you think about it without some kind of over-the-top physical reaction.

Some stress is good for you--exercise, for instance, puts strain on your body. Too much exercise and you could be weeks recovering. However, too little and you'll wind up with other problems that also aren't easy to correct. It's a sort of balancing act, learning how much you can handle and in what ways so that you're pushing yourself without pushing yourself over.

When someone has a health condition they may have severe restrictions on how much strain they can take without causing further damage, and when the doctor warns against "stress" it's because the mind can push the body without you thinking about it.

Is there a way to know when you are crossing over the line from "good, healthy" stress to "bad, damaging" stress? If stress can be defined as "worry", "strain", or "anxiety", then we are all stressed out 100% of the time (for our entire lives). I want to know what type of stress is physically detrimental to ones health. That way, I can tell myself: When I begin doing X or feeling Y, I am stressed to the point of harming myself, and I will try to do Z to fix it.

Since there are many kinds of stress, and since the relative strength of it varies between people, I'll just talk about the usual way I personally get "stressed out."

I am prone to doing too much at once, which often leads to stress. I will try to do three or four things simultaneously, when I should be doing maybe just two, and I start to get irritated. I'll realize that I am "failing" at all of my tasks, because I am stretched too thin. Very soon I "shut down" and begin engaging in a default activity like surfing the 'net or playing a video game. Often (and ironically), during the time spent with this "default" I could have reasonably accomplished at least one and maybe two of the tasks I am avoiding. And that compounds on itself viciously. :lol: It also doesn't help that sometimes I can do all of the tasks at once that I'd set out to do. But nevertheless I will still feel rushed, irritated, or stressed while I do them because I am close to my personal work limit.

This is me all over, with a sign labelled 'dunce'. Seriously, you've put down the exact process that happens for me and why it happens. I'm better now, since I schedule my time when I start to feel this stress coming on, but I still easily fall pray to it when I've got too much time on my hands. At the moment I'm working on filling up my calendar with as many things as possible, so I'm more directed per hour and don't have these lull periods that get me out of routine.

This kind of stress can get really bad - I used to get heart palpitations from this kind of thing, from a build up of physical tasks and emotional dillemas of this sort - and I can only say, to anyone that can identify with this, please, just sit down and focus on doing one thing at a time. Your life doesn't have to be like Frank O'Conner so accurately skewers it in that 'Juggling' painting. It's better to get started on a few things, than to try to reach perfection straight away on everything.

Or as I've often heard it said: "Failing to plan, is planning to fail."

When I get really upset I fall into displacement activity--cleaning, doing laundry, organizing stuff--that burns off the physical fidgets. People say that this "takes your mind" off what you're stressing over, but I find that it's the opposite: it lets you think about it without some kind of over-the-top physical reaction.

Great point! I feel the same way a majority of the time. If I'm doing something physical, it helps get rid of the energy I have, which allows me to think more calmly about what is bothering me. (Rather than just sitting there going, "AHHH, I'm stressed!!!" *fidget fidget*) I should try to do this more often though, because I often just fall into that panicked, overenergized state.

Things that stress me out the most are often things I don't really have control over. Like, if I feel really intense anger or sadness and it's from a problem that I can't do anything to fix, all I can do is feel super stressed on top of the already intense emotions. People always tell me, "Oh, don't worry about it, it's not even in your control!" But that really doesn't change how I'm feeling. Anyone have any better suggestions? :lol:

Is there a way to know when you are crossing over the line from "good, healthy" stress to "bad, damaging" stress?

I think this would have to do more with your reaction to the "stress" - is it is a positive motivator, or a negative depressing one?

Honestly, I don't comprehend stress too much because I am not entirely certain I have ever felt "stressed". I certainly can feel frustrated in situations, but I am not sure that is the same thing. But it's been my observation that people who have stress usually do so as the result of social relationships. In other words - I don't usually encounter stressful independent people. It seems the more independent someone is, the less stressful they are. Maybe it's a reaction to a lack of control then? Those who have sole control over their lives don't feel stress. Those who feel they are lacking control, feel stressed.

Those who feel they are lacking control, feel stressed.
DING.

I've thought this often. I've been in terribly frustrating situations, I deal with gov't bureacracy regularly, but I'm never stressed about it. I think it's because I have a pretty good grasp of what I can control, and what I can't. I see people who get these two categories confused, and they can get downright crazy over seemingly simple obstacles.

Is there a way to know when you are crossing over the line from "good, healthy" stress to "bad, damaging" stress? If stress can be defined as "worry", "strain", or "anxiety", then we are all stressed out 100% of the time (for our entire lives). I want to know what type of stress is physically detrimental to ones health. That way, I can tell myself: When I begin doing X or feeling Y, I am stressed to the point of harming myself, and I will try to do Z to fix it.
Some Googling has told me that you are talking about the difference between other stresses, and chronic stress. It has been a while since I read about long-term effects of chronic stress, and reading about it now gives me the same impression: it isn't all that understood or easy to diagnose. There is probably stress involved in most bad things concerning the body, either before or after (since stress originates in your mind) a more easily-diagnosed problem. My personal remedy is the fix-all which I try to live by: a healthy, active mind (my stress that I described is something I am working to purge from my life for this goal), proper physical exercise (which helps the former, too), and a good, variety-driven diet. The main kink in that formula for me right now is over-extending myself.

And on that...:

I used to get heart palpitations from this kind of thing, from a build up of physical tasks and emotional dillemas of this sort - and I can only say, to anyone that can identify with this, please, just sit down and focus on doing one thing at a time.

[...]

Or as I've often heard it said: "Failing to plan, is planning to fail."

Heart palpitations, hardcore! The worst I got was really lazy. I agree with your former point, at least in theory, but I still have a hard time cutting back. I feel like I'm wasting myself as a resource when I do only one thing at a time. Currently I think that I need to change my idea of the purpose of my life, which is the subtle switch from focusing on my goals to focusing on why I want my goals. That is, focusing more on what makes life happy, and it ain't doin' as much as I can possibly cram into my life!

On your second point, I do better without a written-down plan or structure, instead keeping everything in my head. It's much easier to change stuff around, and I remember everything just fine. When I write plans down, I tend to use too many details and it actually sets me behind.

FWIW, Edwin Locke's tapes "Stress and Coping; An Inductive Approach" goes over these questions.
Thanks for the referral!

People always tell me, "Oh, don't worry about it, it's not even in your control!" But that really doesn't change how I'm feeling. Anyone have any better suggestions? :lol:
This is just a matter of mental practice that you can do with anything you are sure about (first, of course, you have to be sure about it :)). When the dilemma arises again, go over in your head the reasons why your friends are right: you can't actually do anything, so put it out of your mind. If you wish, and this is what I do, go over a way that you can make the thing causing you stress not happen again, next time. If it's something like a volcano eruption or a crazy person, something you really can't predict, catalog that in your mind under "Never Have To Think About Again; Totally Unpredictable." Although, I still have plans of action for that stuff, too.

It seems the more independent someone is, the less stressful they are. Maybe it's a reaction to a lack of control then? Those who have sole control over their lives don't feel stress. Those who feel they are lacking control, feel stressed.
I concur. With every new level of independence or self-esteem that I attain, my general life stress level concerning my goals is reduced.

I don't think it's really a fair assessment to assume that people who get stressed out are not independent. There are things in everyone's lives that they cannot control, and that can be truly stressful. I personally just don't get how sometimes people can just let it go and not be stressed about it at times. I realize that some things are going to be out of my control, but I cannot help but be extremely stressed and bothered (at least some of those things, some others don't upset me as much).

On second thought...the more independent I get, the less stress I have.

Also, lots of people feel physical stress when they strain themselves. For example, sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen can put stress on your neck and back and eyes. *looks away from computer momentarily, lol* Also, as other people said, doing multiple things at once can cause physical stress. I don't know though if we're talking solely about mental stress or physical (though I think they go hand in hand nearly 100% of the time).

This is just a matter of mental practice that you can do with anything you are sure about (first, of course, you have to be sure about it :lol:). When the dilemma arises again, go over in your head the reasons why your friends are right: you can't actually do anything, so put it out of your mind. If you wish, and this is what I do, go over a way that you can make the thing causing you stress not happen again, next time. If it's something like a volcano eruption or a crazy person, something you really can't predict, catalog that in your mind under "Never Have To Think About Again; Totally Unpredictable." Although, I still have plans of action for that stuff, too.

Well, the problem I have right now is not really something that 'occurs'. It's constant.

Edited by Kori

(since stress originates in your mind)

This is pretty much what I have concluded. This would mean, then, that a person doing 3 things at once would become stressed, while another person doing the same 3 things potentially would not. The difference would be in their mental states.

In other words, "stress" is not a particularly biological (i.e. genetic) function, nor some physical (i.e. doing a lot of things at once) function, but rather a pscychological one. This suggests that "stress" can be alleviated and cured by introspection (I don't mean anything mystical, I mean examining one's own mental state). What I have noticed, and someone already also pointed to this line of reasoning, albeit in different words, is that non-integrated thinkers tend to a.) experience a lot of stress, and b.) not deal with stress well.

If this is true, then my concern is how exactly the process whereby this psychological issue carries over to the heart and causes high blood pressure works.

I realize that some things are going to be out of my control, but I cannot help but be extremely stressed and bothered

Exactly. It comes with realizing what you can control and what you can't, and (frankly) not caring about things that you have no control over. When was the last time you got stressed over something you didn't care about :lol:

DING.

Since I seem to be on a roll here by jumping to conclusions, I'll jump on (as Hetty Wainthrop once said, it's the fastest way to the conclusions). I think a lot of people who get stressed do so because they want to deny that (in most cases) they have made their own bed that they now have to lay in. They get stressed over having to take responsibility for the bad choices they have made (money, relationships, etc). Also a lot of people have such low self-esteem that they need validation from others. Attention can equal validation. Drama gives attention. Stress creates drama. See the links?

I'm not saying these are the ONLY reaons for stress. I am just saying they are the main reasons I have observed in this seemingly rampant outbreak of "stress" in society today.

Edited by KevinDW78

In other words, "stress" is not a particularly biological (i.e. genetic) function, nor some physical (i.e. doing a lot of things at once) function, but rather a pscychological one.

[...]

If this is true, then my concern is how exactly the process whereby this psychological issue carries over to the heart and causes high blood pressure works.

Yes, that is essentially what I am working to do: change around my mental approaches so that I can eliminate stress. For me it is a practical thing so that I can do more with myself, and also it is no fun being stressed out. I am not especially concerned with my health, because I don't get that stressed and I am otherwise healthy.

If you are not prone to stress already, I doubt you have much to worry about. Also to note, all symptoms of stress can be measured, so you're not going to turn 65 and suddenly acquire a serious ailment with its root in stress. Assuming you check your health regularly, you would have known about your symptoms early on, to give you an indicator to check for something askew in your lifestyle.

Edited by JASKN

Since I seem to be on a roll here by jumping to conclusions, I'll jump on (as Hetty Wainthrop once said, it's the fastest way to the conclusions).

This reminded me that a good way to relieve stress is to laugh...

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

This is pretty much what I have concluded. This would mean, then, that a person doing 3 things at once would become stressed, while another person doing the same 3 things potentially would not. The difference would be in their mental states.
Yes, however this does not automatically imply the mental state of one is right and the other is wrong or mistaken. For instance, imagine that one person is an expert at those three tasks and has done them many times, and is sure he can do them well and on time, and is sure he can cope with any mistakes that might happen. Imagine that the other has bitten off more than he can chew. It would not be surprising for the first person not to be stressed, while the second one is.

Justified stress: Like many other negative emotional states, stress is "sending a message", telling the person that he is in a negative situation, and that some type of corrective action is required. Assuming that the stress is not neurotic, the person who is stressed needs to step back and re-evaluate the situation, and then take "real-world" actions to change the situation. Maybe he has to learn new skills, or change his job, or lower his ambitions, etc.

Unjustified stress: However, like many other emotional states, stress can also be neurotic. An example would be if the competent person described above were to be feeling stress. If the situation does not justify stress, then the stress is probably neurotic. It's the same as with an emotion like anger of sadness -- sometimes the situation justifies it, sometimes it is neurotic.

Repressed stress: Also, like many other emotional states, stress can be repressed. An example would be if the incompetent person described above repressed his stress. He might engage in some other activity not as a way to take a break and clear his mind, but to regain a temporary sense of control which he then does not use to address the real-life situation. Or, he might change the emotion into something else -- e.g. anger at someone who he accuses of putting him in the stressful situation.

So, if one is feeling stress, I think the first question is to figure out whether it is neurotic or justified. This is easier said than done (to put it mildly). Once one has figured out the source, one then has to address that cause: whether "real world" or neurotic.

Repressed stress: Also, like many other emotional states, stress can be repressed. An example would be if the incompetent person described above repressed his stress. He might engage in some other activity not as a way to take a break and clear his mind, but to regain a temporary sense of control which he then does not use to address the real-life situation. Or, he might change the emotion into something else -- e.g. anger at someone who he accuses of putting him in the stressful situation.

As you have described it, I would consider repressed stress to be the most damaging stress to one's health. Let's assume that a given individual is encountering stress and is repressing it, by, as you said, either engaging in other activities and never addressing the real-life situation, or getting mad at someone. What is the root psychological cause of this? To speculate, those who I have observed this phenomenon in are typically intelligent yet non-integrated thinkers who operate on what Rand calls a 'malevolent universe premise'.

For the record, there was one time in my life when I felt 'stressed out' for long, extended intervals at a time: the period I was engaged to my wife and we were planning our wedding. But I assume that's typical for most men.

As you have described it, I would consider repressed stress to be the most damaging stress to one's health.
I don't know. In fact, I'm not really certain if stress is an emotion, a bundle of emotions, or simply a symptom. If it is the latter, it would mean replacing the term "stress" with some other emotion(s) (anxiety perhaps?) in my post above.

Gotta think about this a bit more.