Objectivism Online Forum

A short story I wrote

Rate this topic

Devils_Advocate

I am writing a short story, and I am going to try and get it published in a magazine soon. It's a little graphic, and isn't for people who read really happy books where everything goes right and the happy couple gets married and lives happily ever after. It's for people who recognize the serious situation the world is in and the barbaric nature of Statism. If you can't handle blood or something like that, DON'T READ. The theme is mostly about how true power can only come from holding to yourself and staying independent, whereas physical power only comes from another's submission.

However, I do want to sell it before I put it up on the internet for all to read. But I trust most of the people here, and I need some criticism. So, the first five people who express interest in reviewing the story shall receive a copy via Private Message as soon as I've finished this draft (might be a few days, I don't have much computer access).

So, hit that reply button if you're interested!

PS: I know, by the first paragraph, it might sound like a malevolent universe premise story. But if you read it, you can tell it's not.

Just to make sure - don't mean to sound paranoid or distrustful, but I just want to be safe.

Can I just have a written statement, right here, that you won't claim it as your own and will attribute any material from it to me? (Thadius Main Jr.)

I trust you all, but I still would feel safer if you just wrote it down. Thanks.

I would like to read it.

I promise to you that I will, in no way give your work to another. :wacko:

Would you mind if I printed it out?

Cause its a personal preference of mine, it allows me to analyze it better. lol But I do understand if you dont want me to, and I wont if that is your wish.

later

I trust you all, but I still would feel safer if you just wrote it down. Thanks.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if you post a bit of the story (say, the first ¶), that might suffice as proof that you wrote it. Regardless, you should definitely save/print any e-mails/pms you send with it, and ensure they are dated.

Would you mind if I printed it out?

Cause its a personal preference of mine, it allows me to analyze it better. lol But I do understand if you dont want me to, and I wont if that is your wish.

later

Feel free! I'm the same way, I can only stare at a computer screen for so long.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if you post a bit of the story (say, the first ¶), that might suffice as proof that you wrote it. Regardless, you should definitely save/print any e-mails/pms you send with it, and ensure they are dated.

Sounds good!

Just to make sure - don't mean to sound paranoid or distrustful, but I just want to be safe.

It's not paranoid at all.

However, there are other measures you can take. I think it's possible to protect a PDF file so it can't be emailed, copied, modified or even printed (of course there are ways around it; everything can be hacked). You should look into it if you send your stories around before publishing them. Even if the people you're sending them to are trustworthy, not everyone who may access their PC will be, and accidents do happen.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think that if you post a bit of the story (say, the first ¶), that might suffice as proof that you wrote it.

I'll post a few paragraphs. I've got the first draft done, I'm going to clean it up a little, and then I'll send it out in the morning to the people who asked for it.

Here's just a little bit:

We grabbed the prisoners and shunted them out of the box car, deliberately being as forceful as possible. The more we hurt them, the quicker their minds would collapse. That was the logic the government had always used – and it had always worked for me. And I had been doing this job for nearly 20 years.

We marched them in a long line up to the gate. On top of it, in large and imposing steel letters spelled out the words “EREBUS DETENTION CENTER FOR THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT AND SOCIALLY INDEPENDENT. Erected by the Monrian Federal Government, 2166.”

I tore the bag off of the head of a man about halfway through the line. When I first tore it off, it startled me. Most of the faces were bloody and broken – all of them were hung in a dejected manner that showed they had pretty much had their spirit broken already. But this man – his shaved, sharp lined face was completely clean – not a cut or blemish on it. His medium length, shiny blonde hair was still nicely combed, unlike most of the prisoners. But the most amazing thing about him was his head – it was held high, looking straight ahead, as though he saw no problem with what was going on.

Edited by Devils_Advocate

Is it too late to sign up?

Nope. I'm sending them out right now, as a matter of fact. Sorry it was late, we ended up leaving the house early and have been out almost all day. But, it's still friday, so - everyone who signed up will be given a copy.