Objectivism Online Forum

How's your mama 'n 'em?

Rate this topic

Welcome to the forum!

I would also recommend Sophie's World. It is a good introduction to philosophy in general in the form of fiction. Great way to encourage a child to start thinking about different ideas and their validity. Great opportunity for grandpa's wisdom to shine :) .

I second this recommendation. If there was any book to blame for my obsession with Philosophy, it has to be that one. It's really well written, if a bit didactic at times, but when it gets didactic, it's still clear and understandable. I read it when I was, I think 16 or 17. A couple years ago anyway. It's the one book I recommend to anyone when they ask me what Philosophy is and why they should care about it.

EdSalti, you sound like my kind of guy. Good luck to you.

EdSalti, you sound like my kind of guy. Good luck to you.

Why, thank you, young sir.

Your photo v your avatar. A case of extreme juxtaposition, wouldn't you say? Kipling? In such a modern youth? Amazing. Has been quite some time since I kipled. Must try it again sometime. The Alpha Scot and Michael Caine starred in a wonderful little movie, THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING. Did you see it? If not, you must track it down. Being a retired military man, I have a particular fondness for Mr. K, especially TOMMY.

I'll watch for your posts. ES