Objectivism Online Forum

High School

Rate this topic

I told a few of the people on here that I would start a thread posting what Bullshit my classmates and teachers would be spewing out of their mouths at my Christian School. Here it is!

Day 1

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I go to my Government Class. The teacher, Mr. P, passes out the books. They are labeled: American Government for Christian Schools. I stress the "For Christian Schools" part. I open the text book to the table of contents; the first chapter (which is assigned to us for homework) is all about how great this country is. But not because it was on individual rights--It was because it was founded on Scripture.

Later that class, we get into the discussion of the morality of civil disobedience. I pointed out that since it was immoral to threaten people with physical force for anything except self-defense and retaliation (which is reserved for the government to keep peace), compulsory taxation is immoral. What do they do? Open the Bible up to Matthew and quote it. "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's; give to God what is God's." I was tempted to say "Caesar doesn't own me, and God doesn't exist", but I didn't feel like making enemies on my first day.

Later that very class, this girl talks about martyrdom, and how she would welcome that death, because she would be dying for her faith and going directly to heaven. My jaw literally dropped and my eyes were wide open; I could hardly believe someone could have that little regard for their own life.

Great first day, right?

Day 2

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thursday wasn't as bad, except for my geometry class.

My Geometry teacher, Mrs. C, stated that "points, lines, and planes" could not be properly defined, and so we must accept them on faith. Typical Christian. But this is fucking math! How are we supposed to define shapes with abstractions that can't be defined? So I defined them for her: "A point is a specified location in space; a line is a straight series of points; a plane is a straight series of lines." I don't know if I got those definitions perfectly, but I do know that they can be defined. Her response? Arbitrary statement.

Wow, and I thought my school was bad. Good luck trying to stomach this crap. Is there any way you could get transfered to a different school?

I'm going to bite the bullet, because this is actually a good prep school, and I can graduate early and do dual enrollment with a local community college. So I may not regret it when I get into college.

I told a few of the people on here that I would start a thread posting what Bullshit my classmates and teachers would be spewing out of their mouths at my Christian School. Here it is!

Day 1

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I go to my Government Class. The teacher, Mr. P, passes out the books. They are labeled: American Government for Christian Schools. I stress the "For Christian Schools" part. I open the text book to the table of contents; the first chapter (which is assigned to us for homework) is all about how great this country is. But not because it was on individual rights--It was because it was founded on Scripture.

Later that class, we get into the discussion of the morality of civil disobedience. I pointed out that since it was immoral to threaten people with physical force for anything except self-defense and retaliation (which is reserved for the government to keep peace), compulsory taxation is immoral. What do they do? Open the Bible up to Matthew and quote it. "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's; give to God what is God's." I was tempted to say "Caesar doesn't own me, and God doesn't exist", but I didn't feel like making enemies on my first day.

Ceaser's dead and doesn't own my money, and what the hell does God even have to do with this? might have passed of all right. It's too bad the only time we can ever think of good replies is hours later or miles and miles away. Your teacher sounds like the Christian Version of my "society-is-god" and "altruism=ethics" history/psychology/government/philosophy teacher (I can't believe they've got him in all of those departments. I remember when he tried to convince my freshman class that free will doesn't exist. I wonder if any of his students who weren't prepared against him already will managed to live decent lives.)

Later that very class, this girl talks about martyrdom, and how she would welcome that death, because she would be dying for her faith and going directly to heaven. My jaw literally dropped and my eyes were wide open; I could hardly believe someone could have that little regard for their own life.

Great first day, right?

I deeply regret that I used to think that way. Is she intelligent? Curious? Conservative? Try winning her over; it worked on me!

Day 2

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thursday wasn't as bad, except for my geometry class.

My Geometry teacher, Mrs. C, stated that "points, lines, and planes" could not be properly defined, and so we must accept them on faith. Typical Christian. But this is fucking math! How are we supposed to define shapes with abstractions that can't be defined? So I defined them for her: "A point is a specified location in space; a line is a straight series of points; a plane is a straight series of lines." I don't know if I got those definitions perfectly, but I do know that they can be defined. Her response? Arbitrary statement.

Holy Mother F****** S***, this is your MATH teacher?!? What the hell kind of school do you go to?

Sorry, no offense meant. But still... Well, at least you are armed. Good luck keeping to Objectivism, it looks like it'll be difficult if you have 2-3 more years of this...this insanity to go through.

Damn, that's one thick math teacher. Does she know how to add, by any chance, or does she claim that it's an arbitrarily process, and that one of her arbitrary statements can make 2+2=5?