Objectivism Online Forum

The new Dallas Cowboys stadium.

Rate this topic

rickthepick

Has anyone seen the new Cowboys stadium? You can virtual tour it at dallascowboys.com. It will be the biggest in the world and is being built with private money. Compare it to the rats nest Olympic stadium in china. I think it really says alot about the aesthetic difference between architecture by committee and individual vision. It's just great to see a grand architectural endeavor occur in America again!

The renderings look very attractive. I like seeing some exposed structural components like the anchors on that stadium. However I must note that being from Maryland, I take offense to the 3rd picture on page 2 where the moving message board shows "Cowboys 21 Redskins 7" ;)

Wow!

The Cowboys are adding an innovative design element to the Stadium with a one-of-a-kind center-hung video board. It hangs 110-feet above the field from the arches, but here is what will be exciting to fans: It will stretch between the 20 yard lines, meaning the sideline boards will span 60 yards. So the fans sitting in the upper decks will have what amounts to a larger-than life game being played directly in front of them if they choose not to look down at the field, giving them an unprecedented benefit up top.

And this high-tech video experience doesn't exclude those fans sitting at both ends of the stadium, since there will be two 48-foot wide boards facing them to enhance their game-day experience.

At 60 yards long X 50' in height (and weighing 600 tons), it will be the largest media board in the the world -- better than a 60 inch screen in your living room.

One of the more dramatic features at the new stadium will be the end zone plazas, where arriving fans will be met by ground-breaking retractable end zone doors. That's right, not only will the stadium have a retractable roof, but also the world's largest retractable doors. The broad openings where fans can gain entrance into the stadium will allow them to see what's going on inside the stadium from the expansive outdoor plazas.

Each end zone door will consist of a five-leaf, clear retractable opening measuring 120-feet high and 180 feet wide. The 38-foot panels take only 18 minutes to open or close. By using clear glass for the door panels, spectators experience panoramic vistas from within the seating bowl and when walking through the stadium concourses.

More at: http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

We will organize an "NTOS field trip" to a game after it opens! Even the nose-bleed seats should be great.

Edited by Old Toad

Wow!

At 60 yards long X 50' in height (and weighing 600 tons), it will be the largest media board in the the world -- better than a 60 inch screen in your living room.

More at: http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

We will organize an "NTOS field trip" to a game after it opens! Even the nose-bleed seats should be great.

This would be so amazing if I didn't have such a passionate hatred for the Cowboys...maybe I can go see them lose?

Has anyone seen the new Cowboys stadium? You can virtual tour it at dallascowboys.com. It will be the biggest in the world and is being built with private money.

Huh? Its capacity is 80000, there are several stadia which are bigger than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Nou

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Stadium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Cricket_Ground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wembley_Stadium

Edited by eriatarka

This would be so amazing if I didn't have such a passionate hatred for the Cowboys...maybe I can go see them lose?

Hi Kat,

You would be welcome to join us and you might even get to see the Cowboys lose! (It sounds like I would probably have to sit between you and my wife, though.)

Huh? Its capacity is 80000, there are several stadia which are bigger than that.

The major point was that it is gigantic and beautifully so. Also, the Cowboys' stadium will be expandable to seat 100,000 for major events and I think it will still be able to be entirely enclosed. None of those others are enclosed, and even then only Salt Lake seats more -- but it is not so beautiful.

Edited by Old Toad

I saw it from the plane while landing in Dallas and it's huge even from that distance. Does anyone know if taxpayers are being asked to foot the bill for this stadium, as they are with just about every other sports venue? That always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm with you, Kat. I'll go if Dallas loses. ;) Go Broncos!

None of those others are enclosed, and even then only Salt Lake seats more -- but it is not so beautiful.

Reliant Stadium in Houston has a retractable roof and it closes completely. (Although it only has around 70K seats.) The league decides before game time whether the roof will remain open or closed, so no one ever really sees it opening or closing; however, a foil balloon from some tailgaters hit a power line during a game I attended. Due to the power outage and subsequent loss of A/C, the officials ordered it open. It was an amazing sight.

Edited by K-Mac

I made a mistake I think it will be the biggest indoor stadium, and it is being paid for by Jerry Jones (no taxpayer money). I didn't think there would be so many haters of Americas team on an Objectivist site. I'm a Cowboys fan, but even if they lose when I attend the game it will be a religious experience for me.

What a huge waste of money!

:thumbsup:

Is your negative assessment of the stadium based on a dislike of football, or that you don't find it aestheticly pleaseing? I'm curious as I do like football, but I love the architecture(massive glass doors and mile long arches). The market will tell if it truly was a bad investment for Jerry Jones, although the guy seems to have a nack for makeing money. I admire the building itself, and the fact that the guy is able to build something uniquely ambitious. Another point that I really didn't express fully in my original post is the aesthetic contrast between the Cowboys stadium and the Olympic stadium. One stadium (cowboys) is big,sleek in design, and yet still inviteing in the sense that you can tell it was built by man for man. The other stadium (in china) a mess of chaotic steel beams trying to pretend to be woven twigs , and not quite as inviteing unless one is a gigantic bird. No way is the new cowboys stadium a waste of money,IMO. I know it's not the greatest work of achitecture out there, but it most certianly is true to it's form, and is being built in America (not Dubai).

I made a mistake I think it will be the biggest indoor stadium, and it is being paid for by Jerry Jones (no taxpayer money). I didn't think there would be so many haters of Americas team on an Objectivist site. I'm a Cowboys fan, but even if they lose when I attend the game it will be a religious experience for me.

America's team my @$$! Go Stillers! :D

I saw it from the plane while landing in Dallas and it's huge even from that distance. Does anyone know if taxpayers are being asked to foot the bill for this stadium, as they are with just about every other sports venue? That always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm with you, Kat. I'll go if Dallas loses. :) Go Broncos!

We paid for most of the sports stuff in Pittsburgh, which was annoying. I like the Broncs OK. My favorite of theirs is that amazing strong safety, John Lynch. He's a brilliant player but he also has that "I want to KILL" look in his eyes that you just can't teach.