Objectivism Online Forum

Government force and foreign oil

Rate this topic

brian0918

I'll keep it simple and hope for some explanation in the responses: is it justifiable for the government to prevent me from, say, offering services to the North Korean military? How about other enemies of the country?

And, how about importing oil from enemy countries, or countries with ties to our enemies? Is this happening now? Should the government stop it?

I'll keep it simple and hope for some explanation in the responses: is it justifiable for the government to prevent me from, say, offering services to the North Korean military? How about other enemies of the country?
The way you've phrased this is from a political, not a moral, standpoint. As such, it is an issue of treason. In a podcast (or two), Peikoff argued that it is not treason if one's government has not declared war against the country that you have dealings with. In essence, the other country is still "OK," for now at least. Furthermore, it is not the job of a normal citizen to determine the enemies of his government. I agree with that.

However, I think the more important question is the moral one (unless you're breaking actual law, then of course that is more immediate). Are you actually improving your life over the long haul by dealing business with North Korea? What will they do with the money you give them? Would you rather put your money in a country that is more civilized, and has a greater chance of giving you more value for the dollar you're given them now, in the future? Not to mention, you are likely providing support for a culture of ideas that is completely opposed to everything you believe in and live by yourself.

Of lesser concern, assuming North Korea is on America's "Crap List," and you know this, would it be smart to deal with the country when you suspect you will have to withdraw in the near future, as it would then actually be treason? Not a very good long-term business prospect, from any way I see it.

I really like JASKN's point about this being a political question, and related to treason.

If the OP doesn't mind, here's an additional question: Are trade embargoes (i.e. I am forbidden to sell my goods to North Korea, but we are NOT in a declared state of war) legitimate?

I would lean towards assuming that absent a state of war, it would be a violation of citizens' rights to forbid trade with another country. (of course, we probably should be in a declared state of war with North Korea and a number of other baddies, but that's a different matter.)

Edited by BrassDragon

I would lean towards assuming that absent a state of war, it would be a violation of citizens' rights to forbid trade with another country. (of course, we probably should be in a declared state of war with North Korea and a number of other baddies, but that's a different matter.)
I don't think it's a different matter, I think it's the heart of the matter. It points to the fundamental failure of US foreign policy, the inability to actually take a clear stand and have a specific goal -- to defeat the enemy. When you have an enemy that threatens your existence, the proper function is to defeat the enemy, and war is the way to do that. If another country is just crabby at you but not an enemy, then it's a severe violation of the rights of an individual to prevent individuals from doing business in that country because they don't like us. The lack of moral clarity on the difference between aggressors and opponents or competition is appalling.

I don't think it's a different matter, I think it's the heart of the matter. It points to the fundamental failure of US foreign policy, the inability to actually take a clear stand and have a specific goal -- to defeat the enemy. When you have an enemy that threatens your existence, the proper function is to defeat the enemy, and war is the way to do that. If another country is just crabby at you but not an enemy, then it's a severe violation of the rights of an individual to prevent individuals from doing business in that country because they don't like us. The lack of moral clarity on the difference between aggressors and opponents or competition is appalling.

Well said, and the same thing I was thinking. :D