Objectivism Online Forum

Google Chrome

Rate this topic

DavidV

Although it needs some other features (like themes), I like how it doesn't have stuff on the sides and bottom, making it much more open-feeling for me. I also enjoy the how the downloads go to the bottom of the screen and you can click on them to open them from there. It also runs faster than my firefox ever did.

I found a portable version of Chrome. You can download it here. It is small enough to run well off of a Flash drive.

P.S. Have you heard that Google is threatening to become a monopoly now?

You can checkout their comic that explains the design here http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Its a pretty interesting design, every tab is its own process. The idea is to isolate crashes and stuff to a single tab.

However, my friend got the whole thing to crash and screw up his windows session just by going on a site (twice). Can't really judge software in a pre-apha state though.

I hope it won't get crippled by feature creep like firefox did.

Edited by jmr

I've been using it for a few days. I had to screw around with both flash and Java to get them to work, and now they slow Chrome down in unexpected ways. Sometimes they don't work at all. Also, the lack of features compared to Firefox isn't great.

But, page loads are really fast, and everything search is incredibly intuitive. So, I'm sticking with it for a while. If Google doesn't update, like they haven't with Gmail or the Calendar, an if Firefox does, I'll switch back.

• 8 months later...

Chrome is severely lacking in features. And without a proper extensions system like Firefox, it isn't good enough for me to bother with. So until they make an updated version that at least has a proper extensions system, I won't use it.

Actually, does it even have an extensions system at all?

I've used Chrome for a while and it serves my purposes well enough, but then I don't use any 'fancy' plug-ins generally speaking. I just like the clean 'lite' appearance.

Fair enough. I myself only use a handful of basic add-ons, the most complex being Google Toolbar. What i would like is for Chrome to have a powerful add-ons system so that those that want some of the features Chrome lacks but other browsers have can have those features.

• 1 month later...

Of course it would defeat what I gather to one of the main purposes of Chrome where it to offer a plugin environment quite as rich as Firefox. In order to do so it would have to slow the browser down a little, and anyway Im sure Chrome is aimed largely at those that want a nice "clean, fast" browsing expeirence without the need for so many addons ( which would slow Chrome down after too many were to be installed and enabled. Anyone that has ever installed a lot of FF addons at once should have noticed the performance hit, especially in terms of memory usage and program startup times.).

Still, I expect in time a lot more options for plugins should appear. Having the options of a lot of plugins (assuming decent plugin implementation) should be a good thing of course.

Of course it would defeat what I gather to one of the main purposes of Chrome where it to offer a plugin environment quite as rich as Firefox.

Well, even before 1.0 final was released Google promised to do exactly that at some stage. Not that they gave any idea when that is. It might not be till version 6 :lol:

Mind you at this rate version 6 will be out by next year. :P

Of course, it is quite possible that Google themselves are not fully aware of the fact their target audience might not require quite the same sort of plugin system....

Another factor is of course, how easy it is to develop Google Chrome plugins. I am told that its not too difficult to develop FF extensions ( I havent tried myself however ). And quite possibly Chrome addons might actually manage to use less resources if the system is better executed.

Edited by Prometheus98876

• 8 months later...

Chrome is smooth, well refined and manages the migration process flawlessly. The best feature is that Google Chrome warns you if you're about to visit a suspected phishing, malware or otherwise unsafe website. One thing which I found very interesting in Google Chrome is the tabs functionality. You can move the tabs around within browser like in Firefox .

The best feature is that Google Chrome warns you if you're about to visit a suspected phishing, malware or otherwise unsafe website.

Firefox does the same thing. It even uses a list supplied and maintained by Google.

I actually use Chrome sometimes now though as now that it has a full extension system many of the features that Firefox has that Chrome does not and that I use are available in Chrome extensions. There is even Chrome versions of many of the main Firefox extensions.

another killer feature of Chrome is its 'Inspect' mode. very useful tools for web developers in there, but it also lets you edit any page your browsing on - so for instance change the background colour, disable annoying widgets and so on

That is not very useful to people like myself that don't know HTML, Javascript, CSS, etc.

I tried out Chrome and Firefox. Firefox is still more quicker and better than chrome in all aspects. I prefer Firefox because of the plugins Chrome is fast but not more than Firefox. It has tab browsing. like the way it's laid out and how it works. Firefox has tons more features. I rarely use Google Chrome.

• 1 year later...

That and there are many things which Chrome *still* fails to do properly for some strange reason. For instance, if you try to use some chatrooms , the text will mysteriously not update dynamically as it is meant to . It does on all the other browsers though, ceteris paribus.

That and there are many things which Chrome *still* fails to do properly for some strange reason. For instance, if you try to use some chatrooms , the text will mysteriously not update dynamically as it is meant to . It does on all the other browsers though, ceteris paribus.

That is why I no longer use it as a secondary browser. IE9 is fast and good enough feature wise for that purpose.

Actually, possibly not "many" things, but enough of certain things that it makes it a little bit of a hassle to bother with Chrome for some of the stuff I like to do semi-regularly. But mainly it is just that Firefox does a pretty adequate job of *everything* I do these days, though I will concede that Chrome probably still does render some stuff a bit faster. But I dont really have much of an issue with speed anyway, so this is not much of a plus for me.

IE9 is certainly pretty fast, and it is nice to see IE9 ( 8 as well to a lesser extent of course) doing a really good job of CSS, at least compared to the horribleness of earlier versions. It is still not perfect, but frankly *no* browser implements the most current verison of CSS perfectly anyway.