Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2008

Rate this topic

D'kian

The Steelers are having a good week thus far. yes, I know they had a bye this week, but Baltimore lost to Indy and Cincinnati to the Jets, and most likely the Browns will succumb to the Giants this evening, so it's a good week for the Steelers.

The question for this week is: what's up with New England? The Chargers didn't just win, they rolled over the Pats. Yes, I know about Tom Brady. But it seems to me that with so much talent on the team and a good head coach, a merely adequate QB should be able to carry the team. We'll see.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, are proof that a flashy offense is just that. Had they lost against anyone but the Texans (or the Lions), that wouldn't be so bad. Oh well. Hopefully the offense will sell tickets this year, and provide much fodder for the Football Follies over at NFL Films.

The Redskins lost badly against the Rams. Again, it isn't so much the loss as the team who handed them the loss. St. Louis looked to be in the running for first round draft pick, not dark horse killer. But there it is.

And the Cowboys gave it their best effort, tied the game with two seconds on the clock, and lost on a blocked punt. Whether the game shows Arizona is a real contender this year remains to be seen. they played well, but the head coach had some questionable calls, like the onside kick halfway through the third quarter. BTW it's the first ever NFL game to end by a blocked punt returned for a TD in overtime. History gets made right before your eyes everyday.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Browns are Giant killers. I dind't see it coming. I saw the game, I saw the Giants loose the elad and never regain it, and even this morning I felt a little surprise at seeing a score that favors Cleveland.

But it was still a good week for the Steelers otherwise. Baltimore lost, and if Cleveland can take the Giants then the Steelers should ahve no problem with them later on.

Now, about that historic game between Dallas and Arizona. It was reported today Tony Romo broke the pinky finger in his throwing hand and he'll be out about 4 weeks. He did, however, play with a broken finger the first series of overtime. Why? Can't the Cowboys' coaches have him try a few sideline passes and figure out he can't play?

I know players go in the field with injuries all the time, but only when they can still play well (or just better than their replacements). In this case Romo should have been taken out and the backup thrown in. A QB that can't pass is worse than useless. Even if the Cards ahdn't blocked the punt, they'd have had excellent field position and an excellent chance at a field goal.

This week I got some Stargate DVDs and I could hardly break away from them to watch Pittsburgh kick the Bengals where it hurts. So this week I'm slightly off. I didn't even see the highlights on Game Day on NFL Network.

As I said, the Steelers did well Sunday. They had a little trouble scoring at first, but they made up for it late in the game. Even better, they face Cincinnati again later this year.

The Cowboys are self-destructing, or so it seems. I think the combination of T.O. and a fragile, inconstant QB is getting to them. On the other hand Romo's replacement ahsn't played for years. We'll see next week. For now I favor Washington to take the division.

The Browns appear to be getting better. I refuse to worry. I've noticed some teams cling to certain attitudes or ways fo doing things, regardless fo changes inpersonnel, coaching staff and even ownership. The Browns excell at shooting themselves in the foot at the most inappropriate time. they'll do it this season too.

And the Chargers are giving the Jets a run for the tiel of Minnesota Vikings of the AFC.

More next week. I'll probably be too immersed in SG-1 to pay any attention to the Pats vs Denver this evening.

Week Eight: The Economy has eaten all interest in Football!!

One of the saddest things in football is watching a team come apart. When it's your team it's much worse, but I don't even ilke watching the Cowboys fall to pieces. This week Pittsburgh came unglued in the thrid quarter, when an offensive lineman commited a the penalty that took away a touchdown. It was all downhill fromt here. the offense started playing badly, the coach started making bad decisions, the team fell apart and NY won.

As to the rest, this week it was the Atlantis first season DVD (now the 4th season makes much more sense), plus I fell asleep from about noon to 3 pm (veeery long Friday plus we went off summertime, ergo I nap). So if someone cares to provide an explanation for the Cowboys' victory and Buffalo's loss, please go ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

It's bad form to report on week nine when week ten ahs already started, but who really cares about the Browns or the Broncos (outside Ohio and Colorado, that is)?

So, week nine. Lots of things happened, I'm sure, games were played, the Cowboys lost, and I wasted half the afternoon at a birthday celebration. So all I know for sure is that Monday night the Steelers kicked Washington hard. While the offense did well enough, without the starting QB for half the game, the credit goes, again, to the defense. I dare say this Steelers defense is even better than the famed Steel Curtain of the 70s. They kept the Giants from scoring a TD for three solid quarters, and the Redskins for the entire game.

Now, about loosing Big Ben at the second half. I've said it before: Roethlisberger faces the prospect of a shortened career with that offensive line. Of course any QB can get hurt at any time. But the odds are that much worse if he gets hit often, especially when he's sacked often. I hope he's making a ton of money and investing it well, or at least safely. I don't think he'll last much longer.

Next Indianapolis. That game may answer some questions, namely what´s up with the Colts? I hope the elder Manning brother is shaking in his boots at the prospect of facing the leagues No. 1 defense. But so much the better if he's not ;)

Hey, watch it with the Bronco bashing! ;)

I haven't even begun to bash them yet. You'll know if I do (one sign may be steam pouring out of your ears). This season I see no reason to.

We're just a few injured-but-rapidly-healing players away from a running game and good defense.

That's what I mean. The season is lost. Oh, Denver will likely make it to the playoffs this year, but only as a function of shaing a division with two atrocious teams (Al Davies should retire before he harms a once-proud franchise more) and the San Diego Chargers. I'd wait for next year. The Cutler kid is good enough.

The long fast is over. Let the feast begin.

I missed much of last night's game (alas). Pretty much I caught up int he 4th quarter, in time to see the Redskins struggle none to well against a NY team barely hanging on. Now, while the first game does count, it usually isn't indicative of what the rest of the season will be like for either team.

Even so, the Giants ahve a track record of doing poorly after winning a Superbowl. This year doesn't bode well for them, as they've suffered two great losses on defense.

OK so this post was September the 8th when the Giants (my team, by the way) faced an immediate formidable challenge in the Redskins, a team built on a superb defense. The Giants prevailed. Osi Yumenyora was hurt, Strahan retired, but Justin Tuck and others more than picked up the slack so far this season.

The result is a Giants team that has all the tools to be a post-season factor.

But the real drama, at least if it doesn't fizzle, will play out in the Eastern Division of the AFC. That's where the Jets and the Dolphins are. The drama is as follows: the Jets acquired Brett Favre from Green bay, and let their starting QB, Chad Pennington, go to the Dolphins. They too face each other twice. Can Favre still play well? Can the Jets neutralize Miami through what they know of Pennington, or viceversa? Favre is one of the best in his position, but he's older, he has to learn a new system (though it's been said the Jets are adapting to him), and the Jets are talented at dashing expectations over and over again. On the other hand, the Dolphins have been pretty much adrift since Don Shula left the team, lo these many years ago.

I agree about the Dolphins. They still gave the Jets a battle, though they lost. Favre has been a factor, though he's been intercepted too much for my tastes. Being a New Yorker, I also follow the Jets.

As opposed to the Packers, Favre has a group of young, strong, and talented receivers and tight ends to work with. So, when playing a team with a weak secondary, the Jets can score lots of points. Witness their big win over Arizona.

I like football a lot. It is a great game of strategy, and can produce many heroes. Certainly the QB is key, but he needs an offensive line to protect him, and receivers, fullbacks, and tight ends to give him pass options.

Besides, I find it's a great escape from the sociopolitical mess out there.

The Cutler kid is good enough.

Well, let's give credit where it's due...Cutler has an arm, but that offensive line is giving him all day long to fire off a pass. Like I said, all we need are our running backs and a few key defensive players to get healthy and we'll be a force to be reckoned with. That will probably be next season, but seeing where the Broncos have ended up the past few seasons, that's fine by me. ;)

Well, let's give credit where it's due...Cutler has an arm, but that offensive line is giving him all day long to fire off a pass.

You had to go and bring that up. Now I won't be abel to concentrate all day, thinking of the thin yellow and black line at Pittsburgh...

Like I said, all we need are our running backs and a few key defensive players to get healthy and we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Tell you what, I'll trade you Willy Parker for half the offensive line. I'll throw in his rookie card (if I can find one on eBay). What do you say?

My brother likes the Broncos. Did I ever tell you that? I learned to bash Denver because of that (I had to, in self-defense). It all worked very well until they finally won a superbowl. <sigh>

The result is a Giants team that has all the tools to be a post-season factor.

I'm sure of it. If they don't wear themselves out in the meantime.

I agree about the Dolphins. They still gave the Jets a battle, though they lost. Favre has been a factor, though he's been intercepted too much for my tastes. Being a New Yorker, I also follow the Jets.

Favre owns the NFL record of most career interceptions. All the best QBs do get intercepted more than average because they throw more than average, too. But his record does explain in part why Green Bay won only one superbowl during his tenure.

:confused: I can appreciate that. I've always hated the Cowboys since so many friends on mine in Houston were fans of theirs while I was still in the Luv Ya Blue days! :P

Ah, well, everyone hates the Cowboys (this of course evades the fact that there are Cowboys' fans, owners and players and staff; and they can't all possibly hate the Cowboys)

But let me tell you what used to tee my brother off. I'd tell him Craig Morton (remember him?) tried for years to win a superbowl for the Cowboys. And when he played for Denver, he finally did it!

Of course when Elway and co. broke the dry spell, it was all ruined.

One week ago I was hopeful (even a little expectant) that my Packers would begin a strong push into the post season by defeating the Titans. I think I'm going to have to wait 'till tomorrow. The Packers next two games are against opponents in the division who are either tied or a game ahead, so 15 days could make or break their season.

The Eagles are so predictable. They look good for a couple of games and everyone gets excited and then they just don't have enough for a tough divisional game. Andy and Donovan still, 10 years later, don't know how to run an effective two-minute drill. I also wish I had started keeping track of the number of times the Eagles have unsuccessfully run it straight up the middle on short-yardage downs this year. They've become so predictable and the rest of the NFC East has passed them by. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me 10 times in a row, I am just an idiot following the same playcall over and over.

At least the Phils are world champions!

Paint drying is still more unpredictable than Andy Reid in short-yardage situations <_<

Yes indeed.

And just so I won't be missunderstood, watching paint dry is more exciting than watching a baseball game.

Did I mention I loathe baseaball? Could you tell? :P

Speaking of short yardage, does anyone else have the feeling that San Francisco threw away the last play on Monday against the Cardinals by running down the middle?

Well, this is unusual: we've had a tied game.

Ties are discouraged in American sports. Just about every sport devised in, or adapted to, America has a tie-breaking system for each game, even regular season ones (that's one reason, perhaps, why Americans dislike soccer; and the intrinsic, er, boredom of soccer, too, of course).

Even more unusual are the teams involved: Cincinnati vs Philadelphia. I mean, the Eagles shouls have walked over the doormat team, right? Well, not this time.

So now Cincinnati improves its record to 1.5 and 8.

I'm actually kind of happy that the Eagles didn't beat the Bengals. The Eagles problem since they went to the Super Bowl is that they are content being 8-8 almost playoff contenders. They always enter the year thinking they can be a legitimate playoff team but then can't put the pieces together. They certainly show flashes of excellence, a 38-3 drubbing of the lowly Rams and a 15-6 defensive domination of the Steelers, one of the best teams in the AFC. Then, in three different games they lose because they can't convert 3rd/4th and 1. This is the way it's been but the ownership has been too afraid to rock the boat because they keep seeing the possibilities. If the Eagles had won 16-13 in overtime, people around here would start deluding themselves again that the Eagles could be a good playoff team.

I think it speaks how terrible the Bengals are that McNabb throws three interceptions, fumbles it on his own 10, and yet they still can't put together a win. When you're +3 in turnovers in the NFL, you're supposed to win.

I think it speaks how terrible the Bengals are that McNabb throws three interceptions, fumbles it on his own 10, and yet they still can't put together a win. When you're +3 in turnovers in the NFL, you're supposed to win.

True. But did you see the box score of the Steelers vs Chargers game? Big Ben had over 300 yards, Willie Parker ran for 115, but they scored only 11 points! Part of it is explained by penalties (13 for 115 yards). The rest, I think San Diego proved fierce in Red Zone defense yesterday.

BTW the media re making much, albeit in passing, that there has never been an 11-10 score before. It's an oddity without much significance, especially since the real score was 17 or 18 to 10. I mean, if that was an illegal forward pass at the end by San Diego, then I'm Barack Obama.

Anyway, the rest of the games were mildly interesting. Chicago and Green Bay proved their division is tight because it is mediocre (with the Lions being plain bad), but still black and blue (I suppose). Dallas, alas, beat Washington and remains alive in the playoff race. The Broncos pulled a surprise win over Atlanta (I was surprised). Miami struggled more than I thought possible or necessary against Oakland. And the wildcat offense is either on the way of becoming standard on a par with the Shotgun and the no-huddle offense, or merely this year's fad.

Time to revise some predictions (so they can be re-revised by season's end):

The Bills didn't stall, they were just never that good to begin with. They need Marv Levy and Jim Kelly back, alas that won't happen.

The Jets are doing better than expected, even with Favre leading. Perhaps, just perhaps, they will relinquish the title of Vikings of the AFC this year. At the very elast they'll amke the playoffs.

But the drama of Jets vs Miami is playing out even better than I thought. Turns out that having Pennington is doing the Dolphins a lot of good, even if not particualrly vs the Jets. But the two look poised, New England permiting, to fight it out over the division's lead.

New England, for its part, hasn't suffered as much from loosing Brady. Cassel is good enough for a rookie thus far. BUt the team still seems exhausted from last year's season.

The Giants, though shaky at season's start, are in true championship form. They may repeat their title if they don't burn out.

Cleveland's riding high on the new QB. Lots of hope there. That's normal for the Browns: lots of hope and little in the way of results. No playoffs this year, most likely, but I'd be wary of them next year.

The Chargers seem bent on taking away the Jets' position as the Minnesota of the AFC. Also a common state of affairs for them. Maybe they should move to an outdoor stadium in Minnesota or North Dakota (can you imagine that?), so at least they'll ahve the weather on their side.

The Cardinals are surprising. Theyre struggling, they don't win easily, but, oh do they win! I'm happy for Kurt Warner. He once staged a comeback astonishing in scope (from NFL draft reject to Superbowl champion). This year he has already come back from "has-been" to winning QB. He may yet win the Superbowl again (has any QB won superbowls on two different teams?) If there is a player in the NFL that personifies achievement and perseverance, Warner is him.

More later.