Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2008

Rate this topic

D'kian

The pre-draft game show, or whatever it was, got held last weekend. I swear I saw the name a hundred times (each time I switched to NFL Network or scrolled apst it), and I don't recall what the event's name is. They get lots of promising elegible players to run the 40 yard dash, jump, catch, etc and display who did bets at what category. I honestly don't know what it all means, though I supose scouts from various teams either 1) find it very useful for recommending certain players or 2) find it very useful to justify recommending certain players.

Whatver, it got promoted a lot more than the Pro Bowl. My guess is it generated as much interest as teh Pro Bowl, too.

Speaking of the Pro Bowl, I've been thinking a bit more about it. There's just no way to make it interesting. I understand All-Star games in other "sports" generate as little interest, too. So perhaps the League ought to try to make it fun instead. No high drama, no close game. After all the result doesn't matter one way or antoher. It's an exhibition game and that's it. So let us have something worth watching. Let all players play, for starters, get even more players into it (say five QBs per conference), and change the rules, for that game only, to give the offense an edge (in order to get a better spectacle). Encourage the head coaches to try more wildcat type plays, more fake punts and such.

Or take a page from "pro" wrestling and make it a semi-scripted circus (semi, I say, because scipting a full game is not possible). Let the League call plays when interest is low, make the players fumble the ball, the QBs throw interceptions, etc. Sure it would be a farce, but the point is good rating, rigth?

Damn I miss Football.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think you are referring to the "Combine". :P

Coemt o think of it, it may have been just that. There was nothing else on the NFL Net. Not even a single Top Ten show or an NFL Films session. It bodes ill for Draft week. I suppose it will be on nonstop for an entire month.

BTW what the hell is your avatar? I know it's been Obamafied, but what was it before? It's creepy. It would be great for one of the more mediocre franchises to wear on their helmets to intimidate opponents (and scare children). For the Saints, say, or the Jets.

BTW what the hell is your avatar? I know it's been Obamafied, but what was it before? It's creepy. It would be great for one of the more mediocre franchises to wear on their helmets to intimidate opponents (and scare children). For the Saints, say, or the Jets.

It's the obamafication of my usual avatar. I thought the "OBEY" would be especially apropos on this forum, don't you? :lol:

It's the obamafication of my usual avatar.

I realize that. My question is: what is your original avatar? It's still creepy and would scare the Detroit Lions silly.

I thought the "OBEY" would be especially apropos on this forum, don't you? :lol:

I quite agree. But as I can't make it about Football I'm afraid I have to call an off-topic penalty, five yards.

I realize that. My question is: what is your original avatar? It's still creepy and would scare the Detroit Lions silly.

It is actually a graphic off of a cake of fireworks. You can see it on top there.

I quite agree. But as I can't make it about Football I'm afraid I have to call an off-topic penalty, five yards.

Hey, you brought it up! :lol:

It is actually a graphic off of a cake of fireworks. You can see it on top there.

Hm. Now I'll have to forget that before I see another fireworks show...

Hey, you brought it up! :lol:

Are you the kind to blame the center when the QB fumbles? Oh, what do you know, I can make it about Football. Well, too bad penalties cannot be reviewed.

Another one bites the dust.

And by that I mean the news that Nate Washington went and signed with the Titans. It may be a loss for the Steelers, but it will be more than that for Mr. Washington. He whouls talk to Randle-El and ask him how that signing with the Redskins worked out.

On other news the Pats traded Matt Cassel to the Chiefs. I won't touch that one, I won't try to analyze it. I've given up on even pretending to know how that team behaves.

Lastly it looks like Kurt Warner will leave the Cardinals, or has already left. That's odd. The cards have a chance at a Super Bowl next season or so. Well, that's one reason no QB has ever won NFL Championships for two different teams. Now, if Warner can amke a third comeback with yet another team, well, that would be nice.

I've given up on even pretending to know how that team behaves.

Which team, the Patriots? I suspected a trade was coming as soon as they franchise tagged Cassel. During the last off season the Packers tagged DT Corey Williams to improve their bargaining position. Williams made it clear he didn't want to play for the Packers, and the Packer's ended up getting something for him rather than nothing. I don't see Cassel as a top-five Quarterback, which is what he'd have been paid if the Pats hadn't traded him after they tagged him.

What I could not have predicted were the specifics of the trade. A second round pick for both Cassel and Vrabel? I'd have thought the two were worth more than that to the Pats. They must have had a big salary cap issue.

Anyway, shouldn't this all be in the NFL 2009 thread?

Which team, the Patriots?

Yes. I expected them to hang on to Cassel tooth and claw. I predict they'll regret it once either 1) Brady's sued ip or 2) Brady gets hurt again.

What I could not have predicted were the specifics of the trade. A second round pick for both Cassel and Vrabel? I'd have thought the two were worth more than that to the Pats. They must have had a big salary cap issue.

Maybe. On the other hand the Chiefs seem to believe in the one-man theory of Football, which I've debunked numerous times already. I predict more hard times for the Chiefs until, oh, someone else buys the team (perhaps even afterwards).

Anyway, shouldn't this all be in the NFL 2009 thread?

No NFL 2009 thread until the season starts.

Lastly it looks like Kurt Warner will leave the Cardinals, or has already left.

Latest word is Warner has re-signed with the Cards. Good for him. And if they don't go up against the Steelers next year, I hope they win the Super Bowl (otherwise I hope they revert to type and loose before the second warter is over).

Also Dallas has let go T.O. Now, Mr. Owens is one of the best wide receivers fo his generation. He really must tick other people off for two contending teams to have cut him already. Maybe instead of looking for another team he should start his own league :lol:

Oh, and no NFL 2009 thread until the season starts.

• 1 month later...

I really ahven't been following the pre-draft and trade news (and NFL Network is abck to broadcasting the "Top Ten" show, plus there's still plenty of new TV eps of the series I follow (whew! long sentence!). But it seems Mr. Cutler was summarily booted from Colorado due to a Freudian slip and a temper tantrum.

There's talk of extending the season by one or two games which would mean cutting one or two pre-season dates. It's an appealing idea, but I fear 16 real games is as long as a football season can realistically be. Two pre-season games aren't enough to measure the rookies, tune the team and mkae the needed cuts in personnel (I know cuts extend to the early season already). So unless the NFL is ready to set up a real minor league, they shouldn't mess with the season's lenght.

Meanwhile time grinds slowwwwwwwwwly by towards late August and the retrun of real Football.

Meanwhile time grinds slowwwwwwwwwly by towards late August and the retrun of real Football.

I am soooooooo with you there.

I also concur on the season length. It is a rare athlete that can survive a whole season now. More "real" games will all-but guarantee more injuries.

I was excited about the 09 season, then...Kyle Orton? How excited can I get? :lol: I was sick of Cutler's whining though.

About the longer season/more injuries...I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Of course, I don't wish injury on anyone, but I appreciate a team with depth and like seeing other talented players get a chance to play. There's a lot of talent out there we never get to see.

I was excited about the 09 season, then...Kyle Orton? How excited can I get? :lol: I was sick of Cutler's whining though.

Ask a Chicago fan, if you can find one.

I understand booting Cutler. I do not understand signing Orton.

About the longer season/more injuries...I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Ask Tom Brady.

Of course, I don't wish injury on anyone, but I appreciate a team with depth and like seeing other talented players get a chance to play. There's a lot of talent out there we never get to see.

I don't know about that. Sure there are people like Kurt Warner who were unjustly overlooked, but overall the NFL does make use of all the possible talented players it can get.

I do like the idea of a minor league, but that's a complex subject deserving its own thread (not that I'll start one)

I get tired and bored with the same ol, same ol. Tom Brady being an excellent example. :lol:

Would you be as tired of Brady if he played for the Broncos?

Some players have risen due to another player's injury. The situation is most notable among quarterbacks, since the backup really isn't givena chance to play for real. Ben Roethlisberger came to prominence just like that. But another backup QB to benefit from an injury to the starter was Brett Favre, believe it or not.

I get tired of any sports team (and their obnoxious, rude, rioting fans) from the Boston area or the Dallas Cowboys. :P

Are there any other sports teams in the Boston area? The closest I can think of are the Jets and Giants, maybe the Bills. I can't think of anything else. :lol:

As to the Cowboys, well, anyone not afflicted with the inexplicable Cowboys Fan Virus feels the same way.

Are there any other sports teams in the Boston area? The closest I can think of are the Jets and Giants, maybe the Bills. I can't think of anything else. :lol:

Bruins, Red Sox, and Celtics? Wait, they don't play sports, I remember. :P

As to the Cowboys, well, anyone not afflicted with the inexplicable Cowboys Fan Virus feels the same way.

I had that in the 1990s and it paid off big time! How 'bout dem Cowboys? :-)

Bruins, Red Sox, and Celtics? Wait, they don't play sports, I remember. :lol:

That's a relief. I thought I was going to have to expound satirically all over again.

I had that in the 1990s and it paid off big time! How 'bout dem Cowboys? :-)

My sincere condolences. What do you consider the payoff? The loss of IQ and mental vitality, or the scorn of real football fans everywhere? :P

K-Mac, D'kian said that Cowboys fans have a virus, but apparently it's the Cowboys haters who are getting sick. :lol:

Wait, check this out, 3 SUPERBOWL VICTORIES in the 1990s and the last one was against the Steelers! hahaha!

Edited by Thales

K-Mac, D'kian said that Cowboys fans have a virus, but apparently it's the Cowboys haters who are getting sick. :dough:

Is that's how it's going to be? Very well.

The Cowboys have lost to the Steelers twice in the Superbowl. The Steelers own six Superbowls to the Cowboys' five.

Want more? The Steelers have Ben Roethlisberger, a two-time Superbowl winning QB. The Cowboys have Tony Romo, who can probably rack up better numbers but who can't win a playoff game if his life depended on it.

So there :P

I understand booting Cutler. I do not understand signing Orton.

Is it possible that Chicago wouldn't pull the trigger on the trade unless Colorado agreed to take him? I can't imagine he was eating up that much cap space, but it's worth a thought.