Objectivism Online Forum

The Palin Election

Rate this topic

Is it just me or is everyone obsessed with Sarah Palin?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Are both Democrats and Republicans making too much of Sarah Palin?

• No, it's just you.
    • Yes, they are.
    • Not too much, just right

There is altogether too much coverage of Sarah Palin. Usually the VP candidate is heavily scrutinized when the candidacy's anounced and until the convention, also at the VP debate(s). Otherwise they're pretty much ignored unless they do something newsworthy (like misspelling potato, for example).

The VP post remains second string and is not really important who has it until the President's time is up; then the VP becomes the likely party candidate and full spotlights are trained on him.

This year, though, you'd think it was Palin running for president. She's being more heavily scrutinized, slimed, libeled and photoshopped than any VP candidate I can remember, and almost more than some presidential candidates (like, for example, Barack Obama).

But it isn't just the MSM. The Democrats are focusing their attacks on her. The Conservatives can't stop talking about her.

Sure, if McCain wins, she'll be the likely GOP candidate in 2012, assuming McCain does stick to one term as he has said. And given McCain's age, she's more likely than usual to ascend to the presidency (that's still not all too likely, though. Last Sunday I saw McCain on TV with his mother, all of 96 or so years old. So if heredity matter sin longevity, McCains seems likely to easily finish his term in reasonably good health).

So what gives? And when can we get back to the aprtws of the campaign that matter, like national security?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the press sucks. :) McCain doesn't get ratings and he's not liberal enough (scary!) for the press/media. Obama's been everywhere for so long people are bored with him. Biden is...well, Biden. Palin has a pretty face, she's new, fresh, controversial and is getting ratings. It's all about ratings, not what the candidate will do to the country.

I've also heard tossed around that McCain is old and not in great health, so there is a possibility his running mate could matter more.

Love her or hate her... either way she is getting the most attention here. She's pratically carrying the ticket and the party. Last night Fox News was dedicated to "PALIN PROFILE!" (much like BRITNEY WATCH!) and all the sudden Alaska is the new Texas -- conserative dream state.

Love her or hate her... either way she is getting the most attention here. She's pratically carrying the ticket and the party. Last night Fox News was dedicated to "PALIN PROFILE!" (much like BRITNEY WATCH!) and all the sudden Alaska is the new Texas -- conserative dream state.

Have you consdiered how fortunate Fox news is there exists and exclamation point (or rather an EXCLAMATION POINT!!)? Otherwise they would have nothing at all to say :)

Seriously, that's exactly the kind of thing I mean. They've also been interviewing her friends and former co-workers. I expect every Alaskan will get interviewed at least once before the election is over.

On the Democrats' side, I think they feel cheated. Remember back early in the primaries they were boasting about the "diversity" of their field, counting races and genders precisely? There was also some criticism that the GOP fielded only white men. So suddenly having a woman in the GOP's side must really upset them. Therefore all the attacks on her. I think they see her as a "gender traitor," too.

The Republicans, on the other hand, are stuck on her Conservative views. I really don't know how Conservative she is, certainly she doesn't seem to be very fiscally responsible, much in favor of free markets, or even that religious. But the right side of the aisle is very excited about her, and some who vowed to stay home on election day are now saying they'll vote Mc Cain because of Palin.

The phrase that comes to mind in response to all this is "All sizzle, no steak." But that isn't fair. She is an elected governor, a former mayor and she has run a business. meaning she has had to work for a living. But I think still most of what we hear about her is hype and little substance.

BTW who will play Rove this year? Any thoughts?

Obama is attacking her because as soon as she got elected McCain started leading in the Polls. We'll see what happens 8 months from now. You can dress a book in any kind of cover you want but the content inside of the book remains the same.

It's easy, she's the anti-Obama. A white conservative woman who is a charismatic upstart. It's very similar to what was happening to Obama last spring.

Ehhh.. Charismatic???... They are all actors. May the best actor who puts on the best show win!!!

Edited by dadmonson

Obama is attacking her because as soon as she got elected McCain started leading in the Polls.

Yes. But the VP post remains irrelevant. So attacking the VP is pointless to begin with. And Obama has developed a Daffy Duck approach in his attack ads. That is, he winds up getting shot regardless of where the guns are pointing.

Ehhh.. Charismatic???... They are all actors. May the best actor who puts on the best show win!!!

No, charimsa is something you can't act out. Either you have it or you don't (it can be acquired, of course). I can't think of a presidential contender totally lacking in charisma.

BTW this truly had become the identity politics election. Any criticism of Obama is immediately labeled as racist by the Democrats. And any criticism of Palin is ipso facto deemed sexism by the Republicans. Had Obama chosen a Latino for VP, he'd be ahead in the polls by 20 points!

Palin's Church Promotes Conversion Of Gays

(AP) Gov. Sarah Palin's church is promoting a conference that promises to convert gays into heterosexuals through the power of prayer.

"You'll be encouraged by the power of God's love and His desire to transform the lives of those impacted by homosexuality," according to the insert in the bulletin of the Wasilla Bible Church, where Palin has prayed for about six years.

Palin's conservative Christian views have energized that part of the GOP electorate, which was lukewarm to John McCain's candidacy before he named her as his vice presidential choice.

The more I see, the more I'm convinced that Palin was chosen to pander to the Christian Masters.

• 3 weeks later...

Sarah Palin has created her own woes, by her responses to questions regarding her views, which have exposed her for the imbecile she is. She is clearly out of step with the other three candidates in terms of intelligence.

Had Palin had any intelligence, she would have garnered more respect. It's all too obvious.

Sarah Palin has created her own woes, by her responses to questions regarding her views, which have exposed her for the imbecile she is. She is clearly out of step with the other three candidates in terms of intelligence.

Had Palin had any intelligence, she would have garnered more respect. It's all too obvious.

Palin can deliver a great speech. On that count she is the best of the four, so she definitely has ability. I mean, very few people can deliver a speech as well as she can. She hasn't performed well in interviews, but the msm is out to destroy her, so you have to take that into account, along with her probable naiveté regarding their nature. Still, she has to do better.

Having said that, when it comes to both economics and foreign policy, she is clearly superior to Biden and Obama. She has a track record of getting things done, unlike Biden or Obama. And, she is honest, unlike Biden or Obama. So, I'm focusing on content here and not worrying so much about style.

Palin can deliver a great speech. On that count she is the best of the four, so she definitely has ability. I mean, very few people can deliver a speech as well as she can. She hasn't performed well in interviews, but the msm is out to destroy her, so you have to take that into account, along with her probable naiveté regarding their nature. Still, she has to do better.

Having said that, when it comes to both economics and foreign policy, she is clearly superior to Biden and Obama. She has a track record of getting things done, unlike Biden or Obama. And, she is honest, unlike Biden or Obama. So, I'm focusing on content here and not worrying so much about style.

Utter nonsense.

Palin's command of the english language in her speeches is no better than that of the average person on the street. As far as her track record, check out her reversal regarding funding for the so-called "bridge to nowhere" in which her state earmarked Federal funding. Later, she came on in opposition of earmarking, even though she's a good example of seeking "earmarking."

So her track record of getting things done is garbage. All of it.

On top of it, she is opposed to abortion.

You want an anti-individual rights imbecile like Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency? I don't.

Palin opens herself up to attacks by her stupidity.

Utter nonsense.

Palin's command of the english language in her speeches is no better than that of the average person on the street.

I agree with you, her speech is less than stellar from what I've seen of her interviews. Her excessive use of the word "also" drives me nuts. However, when it comes to giving speeches, she is superb.

As far as her track record, check out her reversal regarding funding for the so-called "bridge to nowhere" in which her state earmarked Federal funding. Later, she came on in opposition of earmarking, even though she's a good example of seeking "earmarking."

She opposed it because of the excessive cost. The story is here: http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/story/9320482p-9235189c.html

So her track record of getting things done is garbage. All of it.

I disagree. She made possible a pipeline that Alaskans had wanted for some thirty years. She got the bridge to nowhere stopped. Furthermore, she has fought environmentalists (the Federal government) so that Alaskans could exploit natural resources. What did Obama do? He blighted a neighborhood and financed racist, anti-American preachers. Change you can believe in.

On top of it, she is opposed to abortion.

Yes, so were Bush and Reagan.

You want an anti-individual rights imbecile like Palin to be a heartbeat away from the presidency? I don't.

Obama is far more of an anti-individual rights imbecile than is Palin. So, I'm not sure where you are going with that line of argument. And, again, Palin is honest. That's something I value.

Partially, but the msm is out to destroy her, so they've done their best to make her look bad and conversely to make Obama look good.

You have really got it in for this woman dont you. I hate to say it, but you come across like some pimpley-faced high school nerd badmouthing the Prom Queen because she's hot and you're not. Calling her stupid is not exactly something that passes for substantive argument. Everything about her is really quite American. She is a very pleasant, likeable, hardworking, mother and citizen politician. If you disagree with her views, then disagree with her views. The name calling and insults only serve to make you look small, not her.

We will learn alot about her during her debate thursday night. Hopefully, she will not spend the evening attempting to show that she can stand toe to toe with Biden on knowledge of foreign policy. She cant. She should admit as much and move on. Besides, the only reason Obama picked Biden was because of Obama's lack of foreign policy knowledge. Pointing that out would be a good way of deflecting attention away from her lack of foreign policy experience to Obama's.

One thing I hope she does that no one else has bothered to do is attack Obama on the one issue he has based the whole of his campaign upon--that he opposed the Iraq war from the start. The proper answer to that ridicules claim to fame is a resounding "So What?" At the time the war with Iraq was being debated, Obama was in the Illinois State Senate with no more foreign policy experience than Palin has today. Not only that, he was not getting security briefings. He knew what the rest of the world knew about Saddam. At the time, everyone believed Saddam had stockpiles of WMD and, in the aftermath of 9/11, concluded he was a threat to US security. What he expects us to believe is that he, in the absense of knowledge, made the right decision while many of his Democratic and Republican counterparts like Hillary, Kerry, Edwards, Dodd, and yes, Biden voted for the war in Iraq. Contrary to what Obama would like everyone to believe, his decision to oppose the Iraq war was made out of ignorance of the facts in the absense of any accountability, not because of some brilliant political foresight.