Objectivism Online Forum

Blindness

Rate this topic

IchorFigure

I enjoyed reading the book and the movie looks like it will be a fairly good representation.

http://blindness-themovie.com/

I'm not entirely sure of the philosophical message Saramago was trying to send, but I had little disagreement with it. I thought that the ward segregation was an especially interesting demonstration of human nature, and the power of corruption. I heard there was a sequel as well, but I don't want to read it because they always manage to mess up a good thing.

I cant think of any critically acclaimed author who's writing style annoys me more than Cormac McCarthy's :/

Unless the rest of his books are vastly different from Blood Meridian.

I'm reading that next. I read his newest ones first, and I'm reading his first one now. They're separated by 40 years but the writing styles are very similar. I'll say that it is difficult and takes some getting used to.

I'm not the only one who saw that trailer and came away with a disfavourable impression, of another story about how, when an emergency epidemic strikes, the quarantine of men for the protection of others is shown in the most barbaric way possible. It's saying that not only do men naturally treat other men barbarically in emergencies, but that in a situation like this, simple quarantine is cruel (notice it's shown as such before we even see the conditions of the place).

There was one line though, that's a bit cheesy, something like, 'You're blind', 'No, I think I can finally see you', which I liked. The plot of the woman and her husband makes me want to see/read it.

Edited by Tenure