Objectivism Online Forum

Status update!

Rate this topic

Hey guys. Sorry I've been so absent from these forums in the last months, or year, really. I've been extremely busy, so I have something to show for it anyway =) I've been doing really well in graduate school so far, and I'm going to graduate without any problems the coming spring, probably with a 4.0 GPA. Earlier this week I got an acceptance letter from Phi Kappa Phi, which is apparently a pretty big deal because they don't seem to invite too many people, so that's really cool.

I've been doing various internships in industry for most of the year, or rather, it was one long one at a local mid-sized biotech company, and I just started an internship at one of the labs at a local medical school, in their cancer center. I'm mostly reading up on the theory behind the form of cancer they study there and the background of the study, and the hallmark characteristics of cancer in general, but I'll also get training in the various techniques they use to study the tissue they receive from patients. So that's cool B)

After a lot of deliberation I've pretty much decided that I would like staying in Academia better, and because I really like teaching as well I am thinking about going for a faculty position in the long run, if I can get one. I also really enjoy the science behind many of these diseases and treatments and I would love to be able to be in a position to have the freedom to decide what I want to study and how, and I think I can do that much better at a university than at most industrial companies. To that end, I've decided that I want to go ahead and get a PhD when I finish my current master's degree. I will almost certainly get it in some form of cancer research, and I am leaning more towards the translational research than fundamental research. Especially angiogenesis is a deeply fascinating topic within cancer research, and many other diseases for that matter.

So yeah, I'm currently making sure that I can get all the materials I need for the application procedure, and I am going to work on that in the next month or two and hopefully get them all completed by early November at the latest. So yeah, the next half-year is going to be an exciting time for me. Especially one of the schools has a lot of really awesome faculty members that do research in this field, and I'd love to go there.

Oh, I'm also still a teaching assistant for the animal cell culture course, and it's so much fun. Takes up another big chunk of my time, but that's okay. My professors are the best people in the world, and I can't remember having that much fun in school, ever. Lol. But between that, the internship, my girlfriend, and my 11 or so hours of graduate credit I am kinda overworked. Oh, I'm also babysitting a few hours a week because this couple wants to make sure their kids keep speaking dutch. That's fun, too, and it pays for my gas expenses =)

If you want some more specific details, please PM me and I'll gladly provide you with all the information you want :)

Edited by Maarten