Objectivism Online Forum

Touched by an Angel

Rate this topic

gags

According to a new survey by Baylor University, more than half of Americans say that they are protected by a guardian angel. This study is truly remarkable in my opinion. If its findings are correct, it seems that rational individuals are losing the war against mysticism. From a Washington Times story on the survey:

"Half of all Americans believe they are protected by guardian angels, one-fifth say they've heard God speak to them, one-quarter say they have witnessed miraculous healings, 16 percent say they've received one and 8 percent say they pray in tongues, according to a survey released Thursday by Baylor University.

The wide-ranging survey of 1,648 adults, who were asked 350 questions on their religious practices last fall, reveals a significant majority who are comfortable with the supernatural."

I also thought that this was particularly interesting and disturbing, if true:

"Baylor researchers also criticized a much-ballyhooed “new atheism” as a barely discernable trend, saying the number of Americans who are atheists has stayed at 4 percent since 1944.

Why? Atheism is a “godless revolution that never happened,” the survey said, adding that irreligion often is not effectively transmitted to children who, when they reach adulthood, often join conservative religious denominations.

Moreover, atheism is hardly taking over the world. Europe does have more atheists than the U.S., the survey said, but no country has more than 7 percent except France, which is at 14 percent of the populace. Farther to the east, Japan is at 12 percent and China is at 14 percent."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/s...ieve-in-angels/

How depressing is this? Twice as many people pray in tongues as say that they are atheists. Ugh.... :huh:

It doesn't surprise me that the majority of people find it easier to live on the brink of being an animal than living as men. Fortunately, I have noticed something a phenomenon I call "closet morality" where people do indeed claim to be theists and all that, but in fact are no such thing and actually behave rationally for the most part.

Why? Atheism is a “godless revolution that never happened,” the survey said, adding that irreligion often is not effectively transmitted to children who, when they reach adulthood, often join conservative religious denominations.

Moreover, atheism is hardly taking over the world. Europe does have more atheists than the U.S., the survey said, but no country has more than 7 percent except France, which is at 14 percent of the populace. Farther to the east, Japan is at 12 percent and China is at 14 percent."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/s...ieve-in-angels/

How depressing is this? Twice as many people pray in tongues as say that they are atheists. Ugh.... :huh:

This is simplistic and ignores how the nature of religious belief changes throughout history. Most 'Christians' today would have been considered atheists/heathens 200 years ago. In practical terms, the vast majority of Europeans arent Christian, even if they go to Church once in a while and claim to believe in the Bible.

Its like trying to compare the percentage of people who identify as 'virgins' in a country where only vaginal intercourse counts as sex to the number of self-identifying virgins in a country where things like blowjobs/anal are also classed as being sex. Self-identification is a very problematic way of measuring things, and some kind of objective standard (preferably based on behaviour) is necessary if you want to make comparisions across history/cultures. Personally I think opinion polling is close to being useless from a sociological perspective unless its done _very_ carefully.

Edited by eriatarka

According to a new survey by Baylor University, more than half of Americans say that they are protected by a guardian angel. This study is truly remarkable in my opinion. If its findings are correct, it seems that rational individuals are losing the war against mysticism. From a Washington Times story on the survey:

"Half of all Americans believe they are protected by guardian angels, one-fifth say they've heard God speak to them, one-quarter say they have witnessed miraculous healings, 16 percent say they've received one and 8 percent say they pray in tongues, according to a survey released Thursday by Baylor University.

I have a hard time believing that half of people in the U.S. think they are protected by a guardian angel. That just seems like a B.S. statistic to me. I also have a hard time believing that 8 percent of Americans pray in tongues. Unless of course, they count Hispanics, and people of other nationalities that pray in their native language.

I have a hard time believing that half of people in the U.S. think they are protected by a guardian angel. That just seems like a B.S. statistic to me. I also have a hard time believing that 8 percent of Americans pray in tongues. Unless of course, they count Hispanics, and people of other nationalities that pray in their native language.

What part of the U.S. do you live in?

Self-identification is a very problematic way of measuring things, and some kind of objective standard (preferably based on behaviour) is necessary if you want to make comparisions across history/cultures. Personally I think opinion polling is close to being useless from a sociological perspective unless its done _very_ carefully.

Indeed. In fact, a good measure would be to ask the same group to put on a blindfold and cross a busy highway. Those that refused obviously don't trust that guardian angel that much.