Objectivism Online Forum

700 Billion Dollars

Rate this topic

zandila

And the only arguments I'm hearing are from people who want to include housing bailouts with the Wall St bailouts.

I was told today that because I have never sat down to buy a house, I can't imagine how complicated it is. This was used as a reason why housing bailouts area good thing, while simultaneously decrying the Wall St. bailouts. Well how difficult is it to run a multi billion dollar company? A whole lot harder than buying a house, I'm betting.

Does anyone else feel sick?

And does anyone have some ideas on what we can do about this?

And the only arguments I'm hearing are from people who want to include housing bailouts with the Wall St bailouts.

I was told today that because I have never sat down to buy a house, I can't imagine how complicated it is. This was used as a reason why housing bailouts area good thing, while simultaneously decrying the Wall St. bailouts. Well how difficult is it to run a multi billion dollar company? A whole lot harder than buying a house, I'm betting.

Does anyone else feel sick?

And does anyone have some ideas on what we can do about this?

I certainly feel sick.

700 billion dollars is a lot of money. I say that if the government wants to do it, let them do it. As long as the politicians pay for it with their own private money. I wonder if they'll accept that offer 'for the public good'?

Sorry to make you sicker, but I think anything in the billions is a very conservative estimate. I would look to the trillions if I were you.

I also recommed that you read What Can One Do and Don't Let it Go in Philosophy: Who Needs It. Rand tells you what you can do.

EDIT: And you can also watch “Cultural Movements: Creating Change” for free at aynrand.org. http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index (About half way down the page.)

Edited by K-Mac

Sorry to make you sicker, but I think anything in the billions is a very conservative estimate. I would look to the trillions if I were you.

I also recommed that you read What Can One Do and Don't Let it Go in Philosophy: Who Needs It. Rand tells you what you can do.

EDIT: And you can also watch “Cultural Movements: Creating Change” for free at aynrand.org. http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=index (About half way down the page.)

Thanks K-Mac. I'll look into those as soon as I get home. You think they'll actually shell out trillions? Or maybe it is just splintered- 700 billion here, 120 billion there... I'm going on the figures reported this morning on the radio news, on my way to work.

Well, the estimates are all over the place, but when it comes to the government, I always take the highest estimate and add a little to it. :lol: I have heard/read as much as a trillion. (Especially since it will take forever to pay it back (if ever) and interest will accumulate.)

I was told today that because I have never sat down to buy a house, I can't imagine how complicated it is. This was used as a reason why housing bailouts area good thing, while simultaneously decrying the Wall St. bailouts.

What sense does this argument make? It's total garbage. Unless I missed something when purchasing my home, buying a house is not complicated at all. I'll give you a hint: If you can sign your name, you'll breeze right through it. Myabe your friends just got some bad real estate agents or something.

Edited by adrock3215

I was told today that because I have never sat down to buy a house, I can't imagine how complicated it is.

What? I've bought half a dozen homes and have never had a problem. If someone is unable to figure out the paperwork, they should hire someone to do it for them. (That's why real estate attorneys exist.) Otherwise, the person needs to rent. Of course, then we'll hear: "Have you ever tried to read one of those leases? They're so complicated....." :lol: