Objectivism Online Forum

Something To Share With Objectivists

Rate this topic

Elle

I hope this doesn't violate the T.O.S. in any way.

I want to share with you guys a little of my music. This is from an improv session I recorded about a month ago with Breathoflife (ryan) so it's a bit rough (it was pretty early AM). It's 6 minutes and 27 seconds long, so it will take a moment to download.

It is just piano. This is a favorite passtime of mine, I think you will enjoy it.

<a href="http://www.reliant1.com/Elle Clark - My Theme.mp3">My Theme</a>

Guest jrshep

Thank you for sharing your creation, Elle. I enjoyed listening to it, and will listen to it more.

It reminds me of what you said about getting on a bus and thinking to yourself "These are my toes" etc.

Perhaps, for a title to your piece, "This is who I am."?

Guest jrshep

Oops. I see (from the file name [and! even the link itself]) that you've already titled it "My theme." Excellent. Forget my suggestion. Still, it does remind me of what you had said about yourself when you were young and riding on the bus.

Thank you again for sharing your music!

Thank you, Elle. I enjoyed that. I'm curious as to which musical artists inspire you--who do you enjoy?

I am a HUGE Mozart fan, but actually i haven't heard very much music... I also love Tchaikovsky. Lately a friend of mine has been sending a lot of Bill Conti's music... you should check it out... I think he does soundtracks for films.

I am not a music expert but that greatly appealed to me. And because I'm not a musical expert, in a technical sense, things that appeal to me thave to touch on something far more then my understanding of the mechanics of music. It has to relate to how I see the world and what I find profoundly beautiful within it, and I think for me that speaks volumes for this piece.

• 2 weeks later...
How long have you been playing and what was your training?

Michael-

I took classical piano lessons for about 2 year when I was in elementary school. Once I learned to read music and the fundamentals of theory I began to loose interests in taking lessons and learnign to play other people's music. Fortunately my parents bought a piano so I continued to practice. I think from the time I started taking lessons to now is probably about 10 years.

I want to share with you guys a little of my music.  <a href="http://www.reliant1.com/Elle Clark - My Theme.mp3">My Theme</a>

Thanks so much for sharing this with us! I've really enjoyed it. I don't know much about the technical aspects of music--my own field is fiction writing--but your harmonies sound rich, you range all over the keyboard very effectively, and I like the way that one motif keeps coming back, each time with a different harmony (at about 3:07 to 3:37 from the beginning, for instance). You use a lot of repeated notes, too. That's something I've always loved in Rachmaninoff!

I wish you were pursuing a career in music. We need more works like this!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice, Elle. I didn't know there were other musicians on this site besides me. Maybe we can put on a concert together one day. I'd like to hear what a string arangement would sound like with your composition... Ah, now I need to figure out how to put some of my recordings on mp3. I've been meaning to for ever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Elle:

That was nice and relaxing. I finally got the chance to listen to it. It reminded me of the soundtrack music for the movie It's My Party, starring Eric Roberts. All the pieces on that soundtrack have a similar theme to yours except in different variations.

I don't know anything about music; this is just what my ears picked up.

(By the way, the movie is about a man dying from AIDS who decides to commit suicide but not before one last party with all his friends. I believe he is an Architect.)

Americo.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread deserves a bump. It's a beautiful piece of work, Elle... I can detect an errant note here and there but I can put that down to it being improv. Otherwise, quite lovely and relaxing.

How long (on average) does it take to reach that level of skill? I've started taking voice lessons this semester and have been thinking of adding piano lessons...