Objectivism Online Forum

Public Libraries

Rate this topic

nutbar

Hello everyone,

Something I've been wondering about is how Objectivists perceive public libraries. They provide great places for research and learning. Isn't that desirable? However, in the US at least, they are publically funded. Isn't that undesirable? Wouldn't a "private library" (where patrons might pay some subscription fee to view the collection) be an improvement in both the size and quality of the collection? Is such a thing viable and/or does such a thing exist?

In a society where most people had intellectual interests I'd expect libraries to run on a rental-scheme model similar to videoshops. However since we live in a society where most people have fairly low-brow tastes, I doubt that private libraries would carry many books with literary value (because few people would want them) and would instead focus on mass=market books like sci-fi/fantasy/romance/Dan Brown/etc since thats what most people want, and hence would be most profitable. You can see the same thing in most videoshops where 90% of the space is devoted to Hollywood movies, while art cinema and foreign films get a couple of shelves, if that. So yeah, private libraries could exist but its doubtful that theyd have much artistic/intellectual value compared to public libraries because thats just not what the market is interested in - sadly, free-markets normally lead to the dumbing down of tastes, because its easier to make money by catering to the lowest common denominator.

However, I think that more online book rental services would start to spring up to cater to niche audiences, since they have vastly lower overheads than real-life shops. There's already quite a few fairly large online book rental services and their popularity would increase greatly if public libraries were to close. So I think they would be the most logical replacement.

Also as we start to move towards ebooks, distribution becomes even easier because the removal of the physical product again reduces overheads and makes the online rental model more appealing since books can be acquired instanteously (although I dont deny that ebooks have drawbacks too).

Edited by eriatarka

Hello everyone,

Something I've been wondering about is how Objectivists perceive public libraries. They provide great places for research and learning. Isn't that desirable? However, in the US at least, they are publically funded. Isn't that undesirable? Wouldn't a "private library" (where patrons might pay some subscription fee to view the collection) be an improvement in both the size and quality of the collection? Is such a thing viable and/or does such a thing exist?

The Objectivist view on public libraries is that they are wrong. The government forces money from people and uses it to pay for it, yes, which is VERY wrong. But there's more to it then just that - information and knowledge and art are not free, yet anyone can just come in and get it. Knowledge and Education are not free, and should not be made so. They must be earned. It is desirable to have such places for research and learning, but such vast quantities of information shouldn't just be shelled out for free.

Yes, private libraries such as the hypothetical one you described can and do exist, as far as I'm aware. If we ever do achieve a laissez faire state, when the government is auctioning off the public libraries, I'm going to buy myself one and work it just like that. It's very viable.

Knowledge and Education are not free, and should not be made so. They must be earned. It is desirable to have such places for research and learning, but such vast quantities of information shouldn't just be shelled out for free.

I think the principle here is that one must not expect to acquire information or education from others, or promote such an expectation (which is one thing that public libraries do). I don't think it is correct to say on principle that information should not be free. One of the functions of the Ayn Rand Institute, for example, is to provide free information about Objectivism. In general, the valid reason for providing free information is to promote rationality in other people, in order to further one's own life in the long run. Conversely, providing free information is immoral when it violates individual rights, or when it is done out of the conviction that all information should be free as a matter of principle (which it certainly shouldn't).

I think also, one has to remember that even something 'nice' offered by the government, even if it's not paid for by taxes, but is done in an O'ist society, with a voluntarily funded government, it is a bad idea. Even setting up a stall outside city hall offering 'Free Hugs' or 'Free Adorable Kittens' would need some justification - say, 'It furthers the well-being of citizens'. Well, why stop there? Perhaps if the government paid for everyone to have a Jacuzzi and a maid to plump their pillows. When you take the government out of its proper function, virtually anything is permissible.

I think the principle here is that one must not expect to acquire information or education from others, or promote such an expectation (which is one thing that public libraries do). I don't think it is correct to say on principle that information should not be free. One of the functions of the Ayn Rand Institute, for example, is to provide free information about Objectivism. In general, the valid reason for providing free information is to promote rationality in other people, in order to further one's own life in the long run. Conversely, providing free information is immoral when it violates individual rights, or when it is done out of the conviction that all information should be free as a matter of principle (which it certainly shouldn't).

Very good points. As long as it isn't at a loss to the individual or isn't "done out of the conviction that all information should be free as a matter of principle", I can support free information. Thanks for that.

This quote in particular really captures, I think, the essence of my question which perhaps should not have been asked with respect to public libraries specifically but rather should apply to all cases in which the average American would expect and/or demand to recieve free information.

Thanks to everyone for your excellent answers.

I've had arguments like this before outside this forum. It's similar to the education argument. Briefly, if the government doesn't provide free shcools/libraries, then who will?

Well, it is in the insterst of all sorts of people to have an educated population, therefore all sorts of peole, starting with parents, will band together and devise solutions. It's also the kind of thing rational people would donate money for. So if you're concerned about the alck of public libraries, nothing stops you from setting up a free, or low cost, library with your own money and whatever you can get from donations (and likewise with schools). No need to get the government involved.

Earlier in the topic some online book lending services were mentioned in passing; anyone care to to provide links?

I just found one now, here, but I can't say anything about it, since I am totally unfamiliar with it myself. I only found it accidentally right now and didn't even know that such services actually existed.