Objectivism Online Forum

American Carol

Rate this topic

I saw this movie today with my parents, who are more conservative than I am (one could say that I am Republican but not Conservative) and I have to say that it is intellectually vacuous. There are some funny scenes, but if this is any indication of the mentality of the Conservative Right, then they cannot win any intellectual challenge. While there is a lot to be said against Michael More -- who's screen name is Michale Malone as portrayed in the movie -- attempting to have him get scared to death if his policies are taken to their logical extreme and therefore he becomes a convert is just too ridiculous; even for a comedy, which wasn't very funny, in my opinion. It's also not doing too well at the box office.

I suppose if you like rather stupid comedies, you might enjoy this; but to give you my sense of humor (which my dad says I lost somewhere along the line), I have never thought, for example, that "Sex in the City" was funny. But I also didn't like "Airplane" or "Space Balls" which are more like this movie.

So, go at your own risk.