Objectivism Online Forum

Pope says pursuit of money and success is pointless

Rate this topic

adrock3215

Does anyone still listen to this nut? His recent claim is that the turmoil in financial markets is "proof" that the pursuit of money and success is "pointless". Since when did "proof" become a valuable commodity in Vatican City?

The head of the Roman Catholic Church said that the disappearance of money as banks collapsed showed that wealth meant "nothing".

Speaking to the bishops assembled at the Vatican, Pope Benedict said those who seek "success, career or money are building on sand".

If he truly believes that wealth means nothing, then he should give up his palatial abode in Vatican City and wear sackcloth, residing in a cave. I suspect that Hell will, indeed, have frozen over first. ;)

Not to mention auctioning off the near-trillion dollars of church property and assets around the world.

If he truly believes that wealth means nothing, then he should give up his palatial abode in Vatican City and wear sackcloth, residing in a cave. I suspect that Hell will, indeed, have frozen over first. ;)

He doesn't live in a palace or wear magnificent vestments because he wants to. It's only to keep up the prestige of the 20th Century Motor Company, I mean the Roman Catholic Church, in the eyes of marks, I mean parishoners, world wide. At heart, where it doesn't show, I'm sure every Pope that ever lived is a rag-wearing peasant scrabbling for a bare existence. :P

His recent claim is that the turmoil in financial markets is "proof" that the pursuit of money and success is "pointless".

"The pursuit of money and success" is what we call LIFE. So, in effect, he's saying that there's no point in life on Earth. (Not that this is a new kind of position in the ideology of the Catholic church...)

"The pursuit of money and success" is what we call LIFE. So, in effect, he's saying that there's no point in life on Earth.

Well, obviously this whole "life" thing is just a test, so that god can figure out who should go to heaven.

Seriously though, it's pretty pathetic that the Pope is attempting to talk about proof. He should at least consistently reject rationality.

Well, obviously this whole "life" thing is just a test, so that god can figure out who should go to heaven.

Seriously though, it's pretty pathetic that the Pope is attempting to talk about proof. He should at least consistently reject rationality.

would it be better to be broke and a failure?

One can only hope! :blink:

(Does anyone else cringe when they use the terms "hope" or "change"? I'm so sick of both words, and the word President, for that matter.)

(Does anyone else cringe when they use the terms "hope" or "change"? I'm so sick of both words, and the word President, for that matter.)

Yes! I also hate when people criticize someone and say that they're just "more of the same". STRAIGHT OFF OF OBAMA'S ADS! :blink:

• 1 month later...
Once again, the Pope is right. What is the point of wealth in this life if it gets you to hell in the next?

We get it, you're catholic. Bye now. Stop posting the same thing everywhere, we already know what your church stands for, and no one cares.

Why does the Vatican have any wealth by the way, if its pointless? More importantly, why do you?

What is the point of wealth in this life if it gets you to hell in the next?

What you are suggesting is that God makes no distinction between the man who reaps a monetary reward for his virtues--hard work, productivity, ingenuity--and the man who reaps a monetary reward for his vices--theft and fraud. He condemns both men equally to eternal damnation. I am not sure what value a god is that cannot make simple moral distinctions. Explain to me again why such a creature is worthy of my worship.

Once again, the Pope is right. What is the point of wealth in this life if it gets you to hell in the next?

The closest I've been to hell was a Lutheran church service. There's as much enthusiasm there as a living dead sleepover.

What you are suggesting is that God makes no distinction between the man who reaps a monetary reward for his virtues--hard work, productivity, ingenuity--and the man who reaps a monetary reward for his vices--theft and fraud. He condemns both men equally to eternal damnation. I am not sure what value a god is that cannot make simple moral distinctions. Explain to me again why such a creature is worthy of my worship.

Silly, you are actually trying to use logic to counter his arguments? WTF were you thinking? :(

• 3 weeks later...