Objectivism Online Forum

LinCity-NG: Run Your Own Communist Town!

Rate this topic

Juxtys

http://www.brothersoft.com/lincity-ng-71810.html < you can download it from here if you want. It is a free computer model that shows the failure of Comunism. You build a town and take care of everything in it: it's like planned economy. While it is small, it is pretty easy, but then the town reaches half of the map, it's stupid communistic society starts to die from starvation or unemployment. There is also this Shantie phenomenom I know nothing about yet. Some notes:

*Building of something like a port might cost you millions;

*Monuments look lame - who would build a monument for a penguin?

*Bridgebuilding is costly in your given map;

*Places to create iron and coal are called 'Communes';

*Let those communists be unhappy, burn them, kill them from starving, since they can't take care of themselves - it's free for you to decide.

And remember: have fun!

Its a penguin because of Tux, the Linux mascot.

I enjoy playing Lincity-NG; but its not an anti communist game.

No, it is a game where you run a communist town and try not to suck like folks like Brezhnev did :dough:

While I applaud the intent, I have to question the validity of the model itself. Do you have any info on how the model itself works?

If it was pre-designed to fail, one can hardly say it "shows" how communism will fail anymore than one can claim Atlas Shrugged, which was written with a pre-determined end, proves how communism will fail.

While I applaud the intent, I have to question the validity of the model itself. Do you have any info on how the model itself works?

If it was pre-designed to fail, one can hardly say it "shows" how communism will fail anymore than one can claim Atlas Shrugged, which was written with a pre-determined end, proves how communism will fail.

It is not a model of failure, but a game(Like SimCity). It is made in a way that the player is responsible for everything what's happening. In SimCity series, you build zones with assigned tasks, make road and energy lines, etc., while in LinCity you build Markets,Houses, Farms, Roads, etc. and try to make the city's system not to fail. If your citizens don't get enough food or jobs in their accessible market(s), they will be unemployed or will starve do death while in SimCity they would move to a more comfortable location or doing anything about it. that's what I would consider Communistic.

Of course, the city won't go bankrupt if you are good player and there is no loan limit, so you might play it even with -billions of $.