Objectivism Online Forum

Homesteading Domain Names?

Rate this topic

Why can't domain names be claimed in the same way that land originally could be? If no one is already using it, and you claim it and use it, shouldn't it become yours?

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand why you have to pay for a domain name that has not been claimed yet. For example something like www.ministersofsacrilege.com. I don't know why you would want it, but that is not the point. With literally billions of possible names to choose from, why is it that you have to pay for any name you may come up with?

If this is in the wrong section, please move it to a more appropriate one.

Why can't domain names be claimed in the same way that land originally could be? If no one is already using it, and you claim it and use it, shouldn't it become yours?

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand why you have to pay for a domain name that has not been claimed yet.

There's a private company that handles the registration of domains. You pay to register a domain for that reason.