Objectivism Online Forum

Minors: Rights And Children

Rate this topic

I'd like to recommend 2 books to draw your attention.

The first by Alice Miller

"For Your Own Good-Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence"

She condemns the belief "Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child" and states that the 4th commandment is destroying our children and has continued unabaded thoughout many generations.

No Spank is promoting her book and has some very interesting links.

The 2nd book I'll recommend is by Hara Estroff Marano - "A Nation of Wimps" - The High Cost of Invasive Parenting

Nation of Wimps

From the back of the book

Hara Marano, editor-at-large and the former editor-in-chief of Psychology Today, has been watching a disturbing trend: Kids are growing up to be wimps. They can't make their own decisions, cope with anxiety, or handle difficult emotions without going off the deep end. Teens lack leadership skills. College students engage in deadly binge drinking. Graduates can't even negotiate their own salaries without bringing Mom or Dad in for a consult. Why? Because hothouse parents raise teacup children--brittle and breakable instead of strong and resilient. This crisis threatens to destroy the fabric of our society, to undermine both our democracy and our economy. Without future leaders or daring innovators, where will we go? So what can be done?

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Human being cannot be imprisoned, killed or in any other way destroyed, exdept by the justice of his local government.
By imprisoning a minor in a single room, you violate his right to freedom. Minors are living human beings who has life and intelligence, they look almost like adults, so why can't they have rights? Althought sometimes, they have far too many rights. Example: a year ago, two twelve year old boys killed eleven year old. Nobody even talked about it in public too much, not to tell about imprisoning them, while they violated someone's right to live. It is stupid then minors can't be judged for major crimes, is it?

• 2 months later...

I thought this might be of interest to those who have been involved in related discussions before. I know the topic of parental obligation to their children has been discussed many times over in a variety of threads.

Nebraska has adopted a 'safe haven' law that allows people to drop of their unwanted children. I think the original intent of the law was to 'protect infants from harm' in the case where younger or poor mothers sought to abandon unwanted newborns or infants. The problem is, they didn't specify an age limit and people have actually been dropping off their teenage children as well. One man left NINE (aged 1-17) children at a hospital shortly after his wife died.

Houston, or should I say Omaha, we have a problem.

Nebraska has adopted a 'safe haven' law that allows people to drop of their unwanted children. I think the original intent of the law was to 'protect infants from harm' in the case where younger or poor mothers sought to abandon unwanted newborns or infants. The problem is, they didn't specify an age limit and people have actually been dropping off their teenage children as well. One man left NINE (aged 1-17) children at a hospital shortly after his wife died.

Houston, or should I say Omaha, we have a problem.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Georgia has a "safe haven" law too, but only for infants up to about two or three weeks old.

• 2 months later...