Objectivism Online Forum

Thinking about writing to a newspaper

Rate this topic

Juxtys

I would like to write a letter/article to my local newspaper concerning financial crisis and promoting Capitalism. But do I know enough to do that or could you list any references I may use or should read?

Make it short and to the point. You will have the best chance of getting it published that way. I wrote a letter to the Washington Post 2 weeks ago, but never got it published. Interestingly enough, the editor sent me an email saying it was being considered for publication and that it had been editorialized to print. Anyway, I wrote the following about the financial crisis to the editor of the Post:

Anthony Faiola’s Oct. 10 front-page story “The End of American Capitalism?”

was flawed.

Mr. Faiola should study economics. A market is not free with federally

guaranteed deposits at private institutions, government sponsored

enterprises that have the ability to borrow in the debt markets at

artificially low interest rates, politically motivated legislation to

increase the availability of “affordable housing” and a federally chartered

central bank that controls the money supply.

The greatest fallacy associated with the current crisis is that it is

the result of free markets. In fact, the opposite is true: the current

crisis is the result of unfree markets. What we are now seeing is the

inevitable result of a mixed economy. We must reduce government involvement

in the economy now and return to the laissez-faire principles of our

Founding Fathers.

College Park

Edited by softwareNerd
Minor edit at request of poster

Make it short and to the point. You will have the best chance of getting it published that way. I wrote a letter to the Washington Post 2 weeks ago, but never got it published. Interestingly enough, the editor sent me an email saying it was being considered for publication and that it had been editorialized to print. Anyway, I wrote the following about the financial crisis to the editor of the Post:

I am thinking about a medium sized article, because only about 1 percent of Lithuanians know what Capitalism and free market is, so promoting Reason and explaining Capitalism is neccesary.

You could take this approach: draft an outline of something that you already know and are confident writing about, and write it in simple, lay-person terms. Then, question yourself about the assertions you make in the article: what are your main assertions and what proof do you have for each of them? That will help you focus on what type of research you need to to: i.e. what questions you need answered.

Edited by softwareNerd

I am thinking about a medium sized article, because only about 1 percent of Lithuanians know what Capitalism and free market is, so promoting Reason and explaining Capitalism is neccesary.

Judging from what I have seen here, that same percentage holds in the US as well. Only it's worse, because a lot of the ignorant think that they *do* know what it is and that they *do* live in a free market, so you have to first undo their misconceptions.