Objectivism Online Forum

The Tale of Despereaux

Rate this topic

athena glaukopis

I saw a trailer yesterday that brought misty tears to my eyes, I can't wait to see it!

Based on "The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread," a fantasy book written by Kate DiCamillo that won the Newbery Medal in 2004. It's an animated kids tale, but hey, so was Ratatouille, which is one of the best films I know.

I'm going to have to take my Daughters to see this. Not that having them with me will look like an excuse (they are 20 and 18) but they love movies like this. :)

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting to see it myself! Unfortunately I have to sing at a holiday soirée tomorrow (excerpts from "L'elisir D'amore" and "Il Barbiere di Siviglia" no less) and then going up to the mountains, where there is no movie theater (well, there is. One. With one screen. And they're playing Twilight. UGH). I look forward to seeing it after the holidays.

• 3 months later...

This will show in DVD come the 7th of April... you mentioned 'the story was lacking' - meaning no story? or it was lacking in something you did not mention? the blurbs make it seem worth getting [never saw it in the theaters]...

[and for sure Ratatouille was a terrific movie - my fave over all the others of Pixar]

Edited by anonrobt

This will show in DVD come the 7th of April... you mentioned 'the story was lacking' - meaning no story? or it was lacking in something you did not mention? the blurbs make it seem worth getting [never saw it in the theaters]...

[and for sure Ratatouille was a terrific movie - my fave over all the others of Pixar]

and I found it online, so understand what your complaint was...

I was thinking of seeing this until I ran into the advertising--the painful, stupid, "pretending to be excited" advertising, and it just completely ruined the whole thing for me. I think this is one thing that Pixar (and occasionally Dreamcast) does well that other studios just don't seem to grasp--they put out ads that an adult might conceivably find intriguing or at least not completely off-putting. But the Desperaux ads just made me want to Not Encourage These People. It's like when you hear about some dippie hippie nincompoop protesting for the legalization of marijuana. Even though technically you "support" their position you don't want to be associated with them.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this movie and was, unfortunately, a bit disappointed. It wasnt bad but I just thought there was something lacking with how they told the story. I wasnt really drawn into it and got no good feeling for the drama. Certainly enjoyable, but nothing more.

I think this could have been much better in the hands of Pixar.