Objectivism Online Forum

Rush Limbaugh

Rate this topic

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to him every few days, and I like him. I tend to agree with him most of the time on war and economic issues, but not when it comes to the Republican stance on things like abortion, stem cell research, etc. Though these have been pretty much non-issues this election. I agree though about how he is toward liberals. I loved the whole Operation Chaos thing he did during the primaries. I just thought that was hilarious! :lol:

Personally my absolute favorite is Neal Boortz! I started listening to him and Rush in the 2004 election and I found that I agree with Boortz about 99% of the time.

My least favorite though is Hannity. He seems to be very lock-step with the Republican Party and whenever he says that line about "America was founded on Judeo-Christian values" it just annoys me. Wait...actually my least favorite is Savage. I've only listened to him a few times and it seems like the only thing he knows how to do is yell and call names. Not much substance in his show at all... ;)

I listen to him every few days, and I like him. I tend to agree with him most of the time on war and economic issues, but not when it comes to the Republican stance on things like abortion, stem cell research, etc. Though these have been pretty much non-issues this election. I agree though about how he is toward liberals. I loved the whole Operation Chaos thing he did during the primaries. I just thought that was hilarious! :D

Personally my absolute favorite is Neal Boortz! I started listening to him and Rush in the 2004 election and I found that I agree with Boortz about 99% of the time.

My least favorite though is Hannity. He seems to be very lock-step with the Republican Party and whenever he says that line about "America was founded on Judeo-Christian values" it just annoys me. Wait...actually my least favorite is Savage. I've only listened to him a few times and it seems like the only thing he knows how to do is yell and call names. Not much substance in his show at all... <_<

I rarely listen to Rush, but I agree completely about Boortz and Hannity. Boortz is the most intellectual talk radio host I know of and I agree with him most of the time...it also helps that he is a fellow Aggie. He does occasionally piss me off when he goes off on month-long rants about immigration. That's my primary political disagreement with him...besides that, I agree with him probably 85% of the time.

As for Hannity...yeah, I absolutely hate that guy.

I hope this doesn't come off as a flame, because I really don't mean it as such. I honestly don't understand how any Oist can like Rush, ever. He is so blatantly anti-intellectual. For all his hype he is not strongly pro-reason and this goes deeper than his toeing the line on things like the standard religious social issues. He does not have an understanding of these issues on a deeper, principled level. He can only take things as floating abstractions or nonessential concretes. Also, I don't see how pissing off liberals is anything special. I can piss off liberals too, and will probably make a career doing so, especially among my academic peers, but that doesn't make me some great intellectual. If I am to be a great intellectual it will be because of my ability to present logically coherent ideas to a wide audience in such a way as to be comprehensible, not because of what enemies I make.

Seriously, I know that liberals are generally viewed as enemies by Oists, but they're really not that much worse than conservatives, and especially not worse than anti-intellectual conservatives like just about every radio talk-show host. Liberals have some completely lame ideas, and I think we all know that, seeing as we're not liberals. But not all liberals are diehard collectivists and many just have a few mistaken ideas. And conservatives can be terribly collectivist. I really, honestly believe it is a mistake for Objectivism to try to ally itself with the Right. If you look at Rand's personal experiences she found that out herself.

And before anyone objects on this basis, I have listened to a ton of right-wing talk radio, Rush as well as others. My dad and I listened to it almost every day. I know that of which I speak.

I used to listen to Limbaugh, but don't do it much any more. Of course he's a blow hard, but that's part of his act. Limbaugh himself will tell you that he is primarily an entertainer. He tries to bring his political point of view to people in an interesting and entertaining way. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Nevertheless, when you compare him to his counterparts on the left, they are virtually impossible to listen to for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I've never listened to Rush Limbaugh and I have no intention of ever doing so. The same goes for Ann Coulter and any of the other trite on Fox News.

By considering "pissing off liberals" a good thing in and of itself, you're falling for the same trick they're pulling on everyone else - they juggle around concepts without any connection to reality. Today's conservatives were yesterday's liberals, and it will change again soon enough.

Edited by brian0918

By considering "pissing off liberals" a good thing in and of itself, you're falling for the same trick they're pulling on everyone else - they juggle around concepts without any connection to reality.

I don't think they do it on purpose. it's more of a faulty epistemological upbringing.

I've read a couple of books by Al Franken doing the same to the conservatives. He was funny, but very mean. Hell the title of one book is "Rush Limbaugh Is A Big, Fat Idiot."

Today's conservatives were yesterday's liberals, and it will change again soon enough.

Didn't Churchill say any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.

Not really, but the quote is attributed to him.

I recently wrote about Rush Limbaugh's attack on pro-choice Republicans at:

"Rush Limbaugh Tells Pro-Choice Republicans To F*** Off "

Basically, he said if you're a Republican who believes in abortion rights, then you should leave the Republican Party.

I disagree with nearly all of Obama's positions. But Limbaugh is not a principled defender of individual rights.

Basically, he said if you're a Republican who believes in abortion rights, then you should leave the Republican Party.

Hey, I agree with Limbaugh. If you believe a woman has the right to an abortion, then you aren't a Republican -- you're a decent human being.

I'm going to have to also agree with themadkat and brian0918 on their assements of Limbaugh's character. When I think of the man I think of this...

and this...

And wonder how people could ever give this man the time of their day and enjoy it. Take over countries and convert their leaders to Christianity... and the audience laughs.

Even more bizarre, look at this fictional sketch and look at who's running for office right now. Not anything... similiar?

I'm in the "can only take him for 5 minutes" category. I honestly feel that the similarities that I have with him in regards to economics are coincidental. He ends up being like most rightists when he drops reason for faith in regards to metaphysics.

He looses me at "Power on loan from god."

I prefer to listen to Boortz or Glenn Beck, but they all get on my nerves quickly. I used to listen to O'Reilly when he was on here in order to play "count the logical fallacies" with a friend and fellow man of the mind.

I typically end up loading my usb stick for my car with podcasts of more tolerable (i.e. rational) material.

I like some of his ideas on face value, and I respect him for the same reason I respect George Bush (or did) - he's not a back down, flip flop kind of guy. His ideas are FAR from perfect, but he doesn't compromise on them for popularity. However, his views on social issues - especially immigration - I just find annoying.

I really like Glenn Beck though. But if he says something really stupid, I can go on without watching or listening to him for weeks at a time.

Speaking of Boortz, he put this in his reading assignments today on his website:

Today seems like a good day to recommend a book. Never has this particular book been so relevant. Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I PROMISE that if you read this book it is going to make you very uncomfortable. You need that.

I've been listening to Rush since I was a kid. My parents always listened to him, and I have to say that if it weren't for him I wouldn't be an objectivist today. His ideas are far from perfect, but I have a great deal of respect for the man.

Also, he is a big advocate of Ayn Rand, despite the criticisms from many objectivists. It makes me wonder how in-touch with Ayn Rand's movement of ideas he is.

Also, he is a big advocate of Ayn Rand, despite the criticisms from many objectivists.

He is a selective advocate of Rand. He uses her ideas when they match up with his, and in the cases where they do, they do very well. However, he completely ignores a fully integrated version of her philosophy, and I've never heard her advocate directly for her, rather than use a quote that is handy.

I think Rush is a very smart guy. He's an entertainer first and foremost, not a philosopher. As such he appeals to "conventional wisdom" and seeming "common sense." I wish we had someone in the movement who can concretize principles as well as he does. Alas, he is far from that.

During today's program, he pretty much said the Republican party is now at war. Time to take back the party, kick out the moderates, the pro-lifers, etc. That actually got me pretty fired up! I sure hope they do that because that will be the fastest way to get rid of that party and get on track with a new party that is for real freedom and capitalism!

Perhaps we should start a campaign much like the one Rush had going on during the primaries...to get Republicans to switch to Democrat, then vote for Hillary in the primaries. Let's start emailing, calling and writing to Rush to encourage him and the rest of the Christian right to kick out these" awful moderates and pro-lifers. Hopefully, it will work better than his primary campaign. :P

He is a selective advocate of Rand. He uses her ideas when they match up with his, and in the cases where they do, they do very well. However, he completely ignores a fully integrated version of her philosophy, and I've never heard her advocate directly for her, rather than use a quote that is handy.

I think Rush is a very smart guy. He's an entertainer first and foremost, not a philosopher. As such he appeals to "conventional wisdom" and seeming "common sense." I wish we had someone in the movement who can concretize principles as well as he does. Alas, he is far from that.

To restate what someone said earlier, "what a magnificent waste". :P

During today's program, he pretty much said the Republican party is now at war. Time to take back the party, kick out the moderates, the pro-lifers, etc. That actually got me pretty fired up! I sure hope they do that because that will be the fastest way to get rid of that party and get on track with a new party that is for real freedom and capitalism!

Perhaps we should start a campaign much like the one Rush had going on during the primaries...to get Republicans to switch to Democrat, then vote for Hillary in the primaries. Let's start emailing, calling and writing to Rush to encourage him and the rest of the Christian right to kick out these" awful moderates and pro-lifers. Hopefully, it will work better than his primary campaign. :P

Perhaps the Republicans and the Consitution Party members can unite into one dinky, pitiful little third party as no one would take them seriously anymore once they successfully casted out every ounce of secularism left.