Objectivism Online Forum

John Allison Lecture at Duke

Rate this topic

By Diana Hsieh from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

From John Lewis:

Spread the word, please! Announcing a very special event:

A Lecture by Mr. John Allison, President and CEO of BB&T Corporation: "Financial Trauma: Causes and Possible Cures"

November 19, 2008, 3:30 PM

Griffith Theatre, at the Bryan Center, Duke University (
Directions
)

As the world struggles with the current financial crisis, we should listen to the executives of successful financial institutions. BB&T is such an institution.

Mr. Allison will outline the causes of today's financial chaos, including the errors that led to the crisis. He will discuss the broader implications for the economy, including the effects on the housing and mortgage industries, and offer economic and political suggestions for both short-term and long-term cures.

John A. Allison became CEO of BB&T on July 7, 1989. At the end of 1989, BB&T was ranked 96th largest bank in the nation with $4.8 billion in assets. After 60 bank and thrift acquisitions, and the implementation of innovative training and measurement programs, the former eastern North Carolina farm bank has grown to become the nation's 14th largest financial holding company. Assets have increased from $4.8 billion, when Allison began his tenure as CEO, to $137 billion today.

Sponsor: The Program on Values and Ethics in the Marketplace, Duke University

john.d.lewis (at) duke.edu

Wow, now that's a lecture I wish I could attend!448785730

Cross-posted from Metablog

Sometimes with things like this, students can get an accepted leave for going to an educational event. At least, that is how it has been with me and a lot of my friends. You should tell your professors the nature of the event you would like to attend.

• 3 months later...

Love it. It's a rundown of the things the government is doing to screw up the financial industry.

One highpoint (minute 47) is how the Patriot Act cost banks over 4 billion dollars, and what Allison bluntly states the real purpose of the Patriot Act's intrusion into the banking system is: to catch tax-evaders and drug dealers. Not one terrorist has been identified through these violations of financial privacy by the Patriot Act.

Another highpoint is the connection Allison establishes between the mathematical models in the financial industry and epistemology, specifically integration.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Also, if you want to be able to follow along better, you need to follow the slides which are available under it. (listen to the video, and watch the slides on a separate page)

It's more of a presentation than a speech. (which is the reason why I love it-it contains far more information than these types of lectures usually contain)

.. eg. how does he reconcile accepting TARP funds with his defense of free markets?

He actually stressed that they were very strongly encouraged by the regulators to say yes to those.

Personally, I'd feel no need to explain it if I were in his shoes.

BB&T payed more in taxes than got back in TARP funds. With all this money (a lot of it their money) being thrown around, I see no problem with getting a loan to stay competitive.

And I don't think Allison is apologetic about it either, he just explained the reason for it. If anything, the question should be, is it a good strategy for BB&T to say yes to this, but given the pressure from the people who have all this regulatory power over everyone(and even the power to indict you and send you to court, defending your freedom) , I don't see it as much of a choice. Saying no would be almost like refusing to pay taxes.

If anything, the question should be, is it a good strategy for BB&T to say yes to this

I think that is a pragmatic approach and the wrong standard to use. You had it better when you talked about what had already been confiscated from BB&T, or in a similar vein as Rand's accepting school education aid, what his other options are and if he fights the ideas from which those funds stem with his efforts. BB&T is under no moral obligcation to commit suicide if govt has essentially put down sources of capital for financial institutions in the process of implementing tarp.

That was a great lecture. If you haven't read up on what's been going on since the financial crisis you might find it a little hard to keep up because there is just SO much info in this one talk. That's a good thing though. John Allison came off very charismatic and really made a devastating case against the "greedy capitalism is to blame" premise.

I have one question. At 16:38 he talks about leverage; "Interestingly enough the Federal Reserve has indirectly encouraged banks to be more leveraged." and "throughout my whole career the leverage ratios have increased in the banking business, and informally been encouraged". I'm afraid I don't understand how the government encouraged leverage here. Can anyone help explain what he means by this?