Objectivism Online Forum

Fye: The Political Compass

Rate this topic

Elle

The Political Compass

Some of the statemnents made me sick. (you rank these on your level of agreement with them)

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need is a fundamentally good idea."

And others are good.

"The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders."

took this in an intro poli sci course. i recall so many people who tried to argue that a company has huge social responsibilities (as if it was there to tuck us in at night and made us feel all warm and fuzzy?!)

That's why i'm not looking forward to going back to college this one last semester. Reason and logic are ABSENT from campuses today....

took this in an intro poli sci course. i recall so many people who tried to argue that a company has huge social responsibilities (as if it was there to tuck us in at night and made us feel all warm and fuzzy?!)

That's why i'm not looking forward to going back to college this one last semester. Reason and logic are ABSENT from campuses today....

Look at the professors that teach there...

I'm taking a class "Marxist Theory" taught by an avowed Kantian this semester.. mainly for entertainment purposes :D

TB

We resently got a flyer at school demanding that the capitalists (meaning anyone with a fair amount og money) ought to pay for the schoolbooks of all the students in Norway. The flyer was sent out by some partly communistic, partly sosialistic organization.

That made us laught for a while.

You should have been to my Western Civ class. Teacher claimed the ancient Greeks were actually aliens. Sometimes...I want to believe him.

Unfortunatly, Kant's influence on my college campus (Rutgers Univ) is wide ranging. From my international relations prof telling us: "Our senses are flawed; the world is distorted" to a political theory prof claming he's an avowed Kantian and Marxist sympathizer, although quite entertaining

BTW, my poltical compass is just short of neo-liberalism (libertarianism), directly on the centerline, but a smidge to the left of where the line terminates.. is that where most O'ists would score?

TB

I think the most signifigant piece of information on that site is the 2004 primary chart. Kerry is the closest to the center, and as such the most ambigous candidate. It pins him for the fence straddler he is through his comments and voting records.

i got to the second page of that test and couldnt continue. it was the statement "Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment" that did it for me.

That almost did it for me to, but due to the irritation of having used several minutes already on taking the test, i continued, and ended up in the same direction as Toolboxnj.

First my score:

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: 7.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

I was in the Libertarian/Right quadrant.

Second: This test is so loaded with false alternatives and false dichotomies to be practically useless. So many questions were, from the Objectivist viewpoint, hopelessly ambiguous. I imagine that because of the endless ways that these questions could be interpreted, that Objectivists will fall all over the place.

Its a meaningless test, although if an Objectivist version of it were made, that would be interesting; a test to see what degree of loyalty (and understanding) one has to individual rights. That would be a valuable tool.

• 4 months later...

Economic Left/Right: 6.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

This statement voids the credibility of the test.

The usual understanding of anarchism as a left wing ideology does not take into account the neo-liberal "anarchism" championed by the likes of  Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman and America's Libertarian Party, which couples law of the jungle right-wing economics with liberal positions on most social issues.

Rand championed anarchism????? Libertarianism????? ARRRRGH!!! :thumbsup:

They do call it neo-liberal anarchism, whatever that means, but still.

Some of the questions had no good answer. The one about choosing the value of businessmen over writers or some such nonsense. Well I'd take Rand over a communist businessman anyday, but I'd take a capitalist businessman over Kant. So what was I supposed to put? Its not the job, its how well you do it... I repeat ARRRGH!!!! :D

edited by me to remove excessive spaces

Some of the questions had no good answer. The one about choosing the value of businessmen over writers or some such nonsense. Well I'd take Rand over a communist businessman anyday, but I'd take a capitalist businessman over Kant. So what was I supposed to put? Its not the job, its how well you do it... I repeat ARRRGH!!!! :)

I don't think that is meant to make you choose between the two. If you disagree and say you do not value businessmen over writers, you are nto saying you value writers over businessmen. All you are saying is that writers not inherently worse than businessmen.

I think it's kinda funny that there are numerous historical figures in EVERY part of the grid aside from where Randians would fit in :)

I thought it might be that, but I wasn't positive and so wasn't comfortable with any answer. I think that I put that writers are not more important than businessmen though. I would be happier if there were an answer that said neither was inherently worse than the other, and didn't just leave it up to interpretation.