Objectivism Online Forum

G. Gordon Liddy Will Devote A Full Show To Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

Thales

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just missed it. Does it replay now? I saw something about a 1 PM to 4PM refeed on his website.

Click on the links in the first posting to this thread. The show goes on for three hours. It's about half way through.

Also, I think there will be a podcast available here: http://www.radioamerica.org/POD_ggl.htm

It's so amazing that someone would call in and say Rand was a "secular humanist"-she sounded coherent too. Is that what coservative radio tells people about her in the midwest?

It's what conservative radio calls anyone who isn't conservative. Some combinations of the words: secular, progressive, humanists, radical, anti-traditional values and I'm sure we can get a few others... Mix them into a cocktail and serve it up. Each host likes their own flavor though.

Anyways, how quickly do you guys think this will be uploaded online?

I can't believe the number of commercials! Three hours whittled down to 45 minutes...

I've missed much of it, but would prefer a podcast if I could fast forward over all the ads.

So far, what I've heard has been good. They're getting a lot of free time to talk in depth about Objectivism, and several of the callers have been great. Maybe I'm just missing all the bad parts.

Edited by brian0918

It's what conservative radio calls anyone who isn't conservative.

I think that it would be more accurate to say that it is what religious conservatives call anyone who is not religious. "Secular Humanist" is used as a pregorative, much as "Liberal" is. It donotes, in thier minds, "Godlessness."

"Godlessness"= Bad because thier peculiar religious dogma states that man is inherently "evil," and must be "saved" from his own nature.

Secular Humanism, and Objectivism, holds that man can improve himself without "divine" intervention.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Maximus

That's right. And more so, it's what a lot of "new atheists" refer to themselves as. The caller's comment (it was a rambling comment, not even a question) was basically the old "Soviet Russia was atheist, so atheism leads to dictatorship" argument just lobbed up in a discrete way. I wish they would have addressed the idea that Soviet Russia worshiped the collective, and that Objectivism is not materialistic.

Edit: Oh they're returning to that comment! Perfect.

Edited by IchorFigure

It's so amazing that someone would call in and say Rand was a "secular humanist"-she sounded coherent too. Is that what coservative radio tells people about her in the midwest?

Where I live in Michigan, there are plenty of secular humanists, mainly secular Jews. Secular humanism is highly altruistic, however many humanists admire Ayn Rand. Perhaps the caller made this association and assumed Ayn Rand was a secular humanist, much in the same way people see libertarians admire her and assume she was a libertarian founder.

I am so happy to hear this broadcast! It is getting the message across to so many people, and I really like they have a panel of Objectivists chiming in.

I can't believe that they are using The Cult's "Sanctuary" song (which I love), with Ayn Rand's voice over it! Love both elements, but they really don't fit together. :lol:

Also be sure to tell them you had never listened to the show before today :lol:

Actually maybe that's not a bad thing. I imagine his show thrives on the religious right. It would be good for them to know that they could have a market among the non-religious if they ever decided to discard their Christian audience.

Liddy's voice was very soft and raspy, almost like he was on his death bed or something, especially in the beginning of the show. The callers were a little bit louder and the ARI guys were clearly audible. I have not tried out the podcast, but it wouldn't surprise me if you can barely make out what Liddy was saying. If you can hear the callers and the ARI guys, that's all you really need anyway. :P

ARI's response to the caller Jane (hour 2, at 6:05) on Rousseau, the goddless French Revolution and the Bolshevik takeover in Russia as examples of what excess devotion to reason can do was lame. Their response to this attack on reason was the assertion that the American founding fathers based their philosophy of government on Locke and Enlightenment thought and not religion. A better response would be to attack the French and Russian revolutionaries as not reasonable.

Jane also stated that the French and Bolsheik revolutions were dedicated to the proposition of the perfectability of man through reason, while the American founding fathers believed in the perfectability of man by rebirth of the spirit through Jesus Christ. This would have been a great opportunity to distinguish Objectivism from all of the failures of rationalism and religion by pointing out the Objectivism does not believe in the perfectability of man.

"Perfect" and "perfectability" as ideas are examples of platonic idealism and are an attempt to marry the finite, fallible, volitional consciousness of man to some version of the infinite, infallible and automatic. Every such attempt must end in tyranny and dictatorship.

ARI's response to the caller Jane (hour 2, at 6:05) on Rousseau, the goddless French Revolution and the Bolshevik takeover in Russia as examples of what excess devotion to reason can do was lame.

Well, as I told Mammon, when you work for them, you can correct all their mistakes.

I thought the show came off well. The tone was reasoned, calm, and they fielded most questions well.