Objectivism Online Forum

Self-contradictory phrases

Rate this topic

D'kian

The recent thread(s) featuring a so-called "Christian Objectivist" made me think: what other self-contradictory descriptions or statements can I come up with? Someone already propposed "Laissez-faire Communist." Here are a few:

Fat-free doughnut

An exciting soccer (or baseball) game

Non-violent boxer

Well-meaning Altruist

Industrial-scale green energy

Fair tax

Positive government bailout of (insert industry name here)

Efficient bureaucrat

Reason-free Objectivims (or Christian Objectivism)

Rational faith

Superbowl winner (pick one: Saints, Vikings, Falcons, Texans, Eagles)

That's it for now

Dehydrated water (that's an old joke by Steve Wright: "I bought instant water. I don't know what to add." Oh, well).

Back on topic:

Group Rights (any group)

Animal rights

Peace Protesters (this works on many levels)

Jews for Jesus (really!)

Enlightened Religion

Unidentified Flying Object. (If you can detect it to the point where you know it's flying it's not really unidentified, now is it?)

No, then it would be a Detected Flying Object, or even Photographed Flying Object. If you don't know what it is you're looking at, that pretty much means it's Unidentified.

Material consciousness (bloody hell, I spent so long in my Seminar trying to explain why consciousness cannot be anything other than, well, consciousness of something, that it's a state of mind and not a state of matter and... argh... some people just do not get axioms, "Oh, like the idea that 'existence' isn't a property. Well, you know Rory, some people hold that 'existence' is just a contingent property, that things don't 'have' to exist to be"....)

Edited by Tenure

Rory, I would say that all consciousness exists physically in the interactions of brain pieces/parts. It's not convenient to refer to it that way because we're nowhere NEAR being able to pinpoint exactly what physical interaction equals, say, the concept "tree", but the truth remains that it has to in SOME form exist physically, else it could not be real.

Meanwhile:

Pacifist Taxman.

(I recently thought of asking some pacifist friends, "how do you justify taxation by force, and the fact that the police protect you? You're just letting someone else do the work that you consider 'sin'. What's more, you're counting on them to do it. So what's the difference in principle?")

(I recently thought of asking some pacifist friends, "how do you justify taxation by force, and the fact that the police protect you? You're just letting someone else do the work that you consider 'sin'. What's more, you're counting on them to do it. So what's the difference in principle?")

Do that, and post it on here. Preferably in a different thread, of course.