Objectivism Online Forum

Greetings From Seattle

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have a sense of humor (some call it caustic). I like to mix it up. I'm impatient. I live deep in the Blue Zone. That sucks - I'll have to move. I vote straight-ticket Republican. I don't fear religion (hence my non-issue with "believers" in associative relationships). Religion is dead - it's just winding down from it's long momentum. The intellectual traction it ever had is gone. 200 years from now - wish I was around to enjoy it - it'll all be a historical footnote.

I always question premises and make up my own mind.

I'd clone a copy of myself and harvest the body parts when necessary if legal.

I'm a car nut.

I like South Park.

Late 30s - happily married.

Grew up dirt poor. Not as poor now. Still looking to hit it big.

Lothe the 60's culture. Why must we still listen to the Beatles?! Please ban them forever - with all the rest of that hippy crap. Can you imagine their reaction in 65 had we been pushing 40 year old music like it was some sort of gift? That would have been 1925 music! But, they still try to pass off the bogus lie that their culture was worth a rip. Get over yourself Boomers. I don't listen to "New Wave" anymore and am slightly embarassed when it comes on the radio.

Pssst: Music of the 40s and 50s is way better. Love Dean Martin.

Classicaly trained pianist. :D

Hungarians - Love Andy Grove - Hate George Soros.

I'm not Hungarian.

Big Rand fan - of course. Almost exclusively her non-fiction. Have some issues with her aesthetics. Generally favor Piekoff (except monsterously bad thinking with John Kerry).

Saw on AR site a defense of Partial Birth Abortion. Holy Cow! Zygotes, etc, fine: Not a kid. 6-9 monther: It's a kid. Rand herself said in effect that later terms were open to debate and the context of her arguments where clearly first trimester. A matter for science to tell when it's viable. Anything less is dishonest.

Staunch constructionalist. However, I realise that politics is the art of the possible and will compromise rather than lose. However, in politics it's essential to never lose sight of reality. In politics, that can prove fatal - literally! (Poor Venezuela!)

Like that snotty Russian punk in Latest James Bond film: "I am INVINCIBLE!" But, I'm not evil and hopefully will not get frozen solid with liquid nitrogen. :lol:

Two favorite quotes:

Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Value is that which one seeks to gain or keep.

• 4 years later...

Welcome back Fujitsu! Glade to see another Washingtonian on the Form. I just moved from Seattle last year and now live in Vancouver Wa across from Portland. A little to close to Portland for my taste. You think Wa politics are far left. I'm convinced Oregon is even worse.

I wouldn't doubt that. Climate-wise, I'd love SW Oregon/N California. Politically? The same as Seattle - why would it be different? Californians dominate and screwed up both places. I've never paid an income tax to a state and don't really feel like experimenting with it. Looks like they got their way with Oregon - did you see that they're #2 in the country (12%+) in unemployment. Right behind Michigan!

All good Seattelites make fun of Portland. Ever since they blew it in the 1890s with their being a creation of the railroad and not being the #1 city in the NW like they were promised, they've had an inferiority complex. Maybe they can out-liberal us? One can hope!

Carter2's (Obama) policies are going to really play hell with these Blue states.

Saw on AR site a defense of Partial Birth Abortion. Holy Cow! Zygotes, etc, fine: Not a kid. 6-9 monther: It's a kid. Rand herself said in effect that later terms were open to debate and the context of her arguments where clearly first trimester. A matter for science to tell when it's viable. Anything less is dishonest.

Hey Fujitsu, welcome to the boards.

I'd just like to show you a couple of things that might change your mind on this crucial issue.

First, we have an extensive topic on the subject of abortion, and much of it is discussion of partial birth (That term, btw, is a term conjured up by the Religious Right to scare people.).

Also, this is the first part of a 6 part essay series on Capitalism Magazine by Diana Hsieh and Ari Armstrong on the subject of abortion.

Anyway, glad to have you here and LONG LIVE THE BEATLES! :P