Objectivism Online Forum

"Buy Nothing Day"

Rate this topic

A message from Paul McKeever to the members of the Facebook group "I Celebrate Reason's Harvest":

Another reason why it is important to celebrate Reason's Harvest AS a celebration of REASON and of its role in human life and happiness.

Check-out this video, featuring an interview of the guy who, in 1992, started Buy Nothing Day (which always occurs on Reason's Harvest day: the day following the US Thanksgiving).

Video: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1oPfVmkFgko

Evil personified.

But it shows something else: If we start celebrating reason on Reason's Harvest, it could propagate globally, with millions celebrating Reason's Harvest 15 years from now.

Go Thank Yourself!

Paul

This guy is... well it's hard to find a word to eloquently and accurately describe him. I'll go with "evil". Now, I would say that he is out of his mind and that nobody would believe someone like that if I knew that people didn't. But they do. *shivers*

Hahaha -- self imposed ignorance. Let us all live in caves and run around naked. I am surprised that he wears some cloths still. He believes in global warming too of course, so he should be happy that cave-living will be so very easy without snow and ice. Naked existence where life expectancy would be a ripe old age of 30 maybe… A glorious life without the evil rich, without the requirement to think much. What a goal to strive for. ;)

I just wrote a blog on "Buy Nothing Day" and this Lasn character. The guy represents so much that is wrong with the world.

Buy Nothing Day VS Reason and Prosperity

My thoughts exactly :lol:

Mensch, the people at Bureaucrash.com thought exactly the same thing - and made a video about it:

So it is :) The real motive behind this day (and they wish it to be permanent) is hate of man. Sometimes I would like to be able to herd them all into an area of earth where they could fulfill their dream and suffer the consequences without any victims around to bail them out. What a stinking mess it would be.

My thoughts exactly :)

So it is :) The real motive behind this day (and they wish it to be permanent) is hate of man. Sometimes I would like to be able to herd them all into an area of earth where they could fulfill their dream and suffer the consequences without any victims around to bail them out. What a stinking mess it would be.

It would make a good reality show: Cannibal Island. :lol:

I didn't watch the video, but I think an Objectivist buy nothing day on Black Friday would be a great way of shrugging and help to hasten the destruction of our mixed economy.

And this would be a good thing how?

There are three ways that the "demise" of the mixed economy might come about. One, it reaches its culmination in total statism--in which case self-imposed privation is just pointless and stupid. Two, the pressure-group warfare dissolves into anarchy and civil war, in which case self-imposed privation is just pointless and stupid. Then there's the third option: the current prevailing culture is gradually replaced and overcome by selfish, rational ideology, in which case self-imposed privation is just pointless and stupid.

Martyrdom, privation, and asceticism are the tools of the enemy in this ideological battle. It won't help us to adopt them.

And this would be a good thing how?

There are three ways that the "demise" of the mixed economy might come about. One, it reaches its culmination in total statism--in which case self-imposed privation is just pointless and stupid. Two, the pressure-group warfare dissolves into anarchy and civil war, in which case self-imposed privation is just pointless and stupid. Then there's the third option: the current prevailing culture is gradually replaced and overcome by selfish, rational ideology, in which case self-imposed privation is just pointless and stupid.

Martyrdom, privation, and asceticism are the tools of the enemy in this ideological battle. It won't help us to adopt them.

Naw, I was thinking it's almost time to go on strike depending how evil Obama turns out to be.

And this is why EC stands for Endless Comedy! :thumbsup:

You always make me chuckle a little.

That's because you don't take any of this seriously; you seem to think all of this is just some abstract intellectual game instead of directly relating to real life events.

That's because you don't take any of this seriously; you seem to think all of this is just some abstract intellectual game instead of directly relating to real life events.

Precisely because I take "this" seriously is why I find your posts laughable.

Precisely because I take "this" seriously is why I find your posts laughable.

And I find your's to be worthless, which is why you are now blocked. By the way, as "Organizer" it may be best to start with your own mind and it's disintegrated ideas first.

Are these "Buy Nothing" people also turning off their lights, their fridges, their heating (or cooling) and not eating or bathing either? Of course not! They'll all be turning on their computers to congratulate each other on how they didn't buy anything, even though they just consumed electricity to tell everyone so.

Are these "Buy Nothing" people also turning off their lights, their fridges, their heating (or cooling) and not eating or bathing either? Of course not! They'll all be turning on their computers to congratulate each other on how they didn't buy anything, even though they just consumed electricity to tell everyone so.

Do the hippies who protest big businesses buy their picket signs at Wal-Mart or Home Depot (giving in to "The Man") or do they just cut down the trees (raping nature)? Seems like a paradox to me.

So... we consume so much that "other countries" are only able to consume our "leftovers"... thus the cause of terrorism. I can hardly believe the Adbusters guy just said that.

Yes, because you see if I eat this bowl of cereal sitting in front of me it is just like I had stolen it from a street kid in the shanty town of Baghdad.

:lol:

Yes, because you see if I eat this bowl of cereal sitting in front of me it is just like I had stolen it from a street kid in the shanty town of Baghdad.

:lol:

Well no of course not, that would be silly.

A capitalist bastard ALSO raped a homeless boy's mother and then immediately went on to stealing his cereal. It's all protocol in the evil capitalist system.:P