Objectivism Online Forum

Fallout 3

Rate this topic

ers

I won't waste everyone's time by writing a lengthy review, as there are plenty of those around, but I'll just say that this game is awesome.

Excellent visuals, incredible music (there's nothing quite like watching a mutant's head explode while listening to Bob Crosby or the Ink Spots), decent game-play, and a very compelling story. All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the Karma system as well. While you do gain "positive" karma for sacrificing/giving to others, you don't lose karma for being selfish. The only real acts that get you negative karma involve stealing and murder. This game is also HUGE... full exploration, side quests, and main storyline should keep most gamers occupied for well over 80 hours.

I will say that this game hits a little close to home, especially with the current economic and political climate. So much so that my fiance refuses to play it because she sees it as "depressing." In any case, I had fun.

I love this game. I just got to level 20 (the level cap) and I still have a great deal of the Wasteland to explore and an unfinished main quest. Sadly, my 360 just got Red Ring so it will be a while before I can finish it. My favorite part is the attention to detail in this world. If you look hard enough, every single "dungeon" has a story behind it. Every building has something to say. Its amazing.

I found it fun and enjoyable, but not particularly deep. The main story (especially the ending) is pretty annoying and at higher levels I got tired of fighting endless numbers of Giant Radscorpions every time I'd try to go somewhere. That and the fact and the quests are idiot-simple. I understand that they almost have to be--making complex quests robust enough to handle the options you have is really hard work. That makes it even more annoying that many of them can still be bugged in one way or another.

However, my review did make it into the voting on The Escapist forum, so I'm happy. :lol:

• 6 months later...

This game is so much fun! My wife and I play it together. I run all the missions and explore the wasteland while she goes through all the abandoned buildings. She likes to just search for random stuff and then sell to all the traders.

The only problem I have (and it is a BIG problem) is that it keeps locking up on me. Generally it just requires a restart of the X-Box, but the last time it happened was when I was in the back room of Arlington Library. I saved my game in there AND the auto-save was also in that room. But whenever I tried to enter the main lobby it would lock up. Since you have to go through the main lobby to get out of the building, I was effectively trapped in there forever.

I ended up starting a whole new game, which was very frustrating. Although it wasn't ALL bad. Since it was my second time through I picked up a lot more that I missed the first time. I ran a few missions differently and ended up being much more powerful early on than I was before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Apparently this is a big issue with any Bethesda game...

The solution to your problem is simple.

It is known by the letters P and C.

I'll never understand why someone would even contemplate playing an FPS with a gamepad. To me it makes as much sense as playing a platformer with steering wheel + pedals. Keyboard and mouse is the only way for FPS as far as I'm concerned. The genre was practically made for this setup.

• 1 year later...

But the "karma" ending (the only one I have so far) is very disappointing. I never really made any sacrifices... not even at the end and the game still tells me I'm selfless... exept for the part where I don't die at the end.

It's like solving a problem and getting called an idiot after.

P.S.: When the president said that I have to kill all the mutants, he said it was for the common good... how am I selfless by disobeying him?

I won't be buying another Fallout or Oblivion game until they have decided to get serious about making decent games, not broken ones with blatantly contradictory and non-sensible endings, the blatant misrepresentation of game mechanics, and a clear model of trying to get as much money as possible from DLC at the expense of the main game itself.

Edited by CapitalistSwine