Objectivism Online Forum

Progressive Metal Band Opeth

Rate this topic

fountainhead777

This is hands down my favorite band

Opeth is a Swedish Progressive death metal band that has been around for over 10 years. The primary element of the band is the vocalist and guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt. He writes most of the music and certainly has a dedication to music.

I know not everyone enjoys metal especially death metal, but Opeth is unique in blending elements of folk, rock, jazz, acoustic, and progressive rock altogether to create a varied and interesting product. They also have many softer songs that are very relaxing so

Here are a couple of mellow songs:

Harvest

Windowpane

And for any who prefer heavier stuff

Deliverance

Take a listen, I am sure you can find something to enjoy and it would be nice to have other people who shares similar philosophy and musical tastes

I love Opeth. They are one of my favorite bands. Personally Burden is my favorite song of theirs or possibly The Drapery Falls.

By the way, if you are into progressive death metal I would reccommend listening to Cynic's album Focus, and then getting their album that came out two days ago, Traced in Air. Really good stuff. Apparently they were the first progressive death metal band, though I would give that title to Atheist, with Unquestionable Presence, or Death, with Human.

I don't LOVE them, but they've done some stuff that I dig. I think they meander too much, although there was less of that on Ghost Reveries. I haven't heard Watershed yet. They're not much of a death metal band anymore either, musically. Really its just the growled vocals that still give them that association.

There are many other prog-metal bands that own Opeth's sound

Are there any prog metal bands that have the folk/jazz influence that Opeth does and own Opeth at the same time? No.

Emotional, talented, and unique as hell.

I wouldn't go as far to say this. Also for anyone interested in Cynic:

http://www.myspace.com/cyniconline

I don't hear much jazz in Opeth. For really jazz/fusion influenced metal (that owns Opeth IMO), I'd suggest Atheist:

I've got Unquestionable Presence. It is a great album. Aren't Atheist back working on a new album? A tour with Cynic is all I hope for. You also have Pestilence who are reuniting. There needs to be an Athiest/Pestilence/Cynic tour because I wasn't old enough at the time to see them, nor was I into any form of extreme metal (I am only 16).

Also, I guess folk/blues would be much more accurate. A lot of the soft stuff is blusey and everything, so that is how I tame to my conclusion.

Edited by Focus

I've got Unquestionable Presence. It is a great album. Aren't Atheist back working on a new album? A tour with Cynic is all I hope for. You also have Pestilence who are reuniting. There needs to be an Athiest/Pestilence/Cynic tour because I wasn't old enough at the time to see them, nor was I into any form of extreme metal (I am only 16).

Also, I guess folk/blues would be much more accurate. A lot of the soft stuff is blusey and everything, so that is how I tame to my conclusion.

Yeah, Atheist is working on new material. They're playing the Maryland Deathfest with Pestilence too, and I'm still debating whether or not it'd be worth the money to see just primarily those two bands (the Enslaved/Keep of Kalessin/Swallow the Sun tour is hitting that too, but I can see that here).

The rumor is that Cynic is gonna do a US tour with Possessed in 09.

I appreciate all the recommendations. I have been looking for new music for a while and this is great help.

and to TheEgoist since other bands own their sound could you list a few. I like their sound but have not been able to find much like it.

Edited by fountainhead777