Objectivism Online Forum

Introduction

Rate this topic

My introduction

I just recently stumbled upon the message board and glad that I did. I discovered Rand by reading Anthem in a high school class, and it really resonated with me. My whole life I had heard collectivist things spouted by so many different people, but could not exactly form a principle around why the people were doing it or what the philosophy they were advocating. After reading Anthem, I saw some of the themes she used and connected them to the everyday bromides that I had heard. I really liked that book, so my teacher encouraged me to read more of her works.

I picked up The Fountainhead shortly after, which helped me figure out why people put down the ego and discourage any kind of selfish action. I then went right into Atlas Shrugged, which was favorite out of all Rand's works. Reading about the different villains helped me in real life when looking at different collectivist people to combat their propaganda.

I took a short time off during undergrad, but now that I've started grad school I've been re-reading many of the essays, especially in TVOS. I'm going into the healthcare field, so I'm sure all of you can imagine the amount of false arguments and package deals that are being forced down our throats. Rand helps me stay sane when dealing with all of this.

I look forward to posting and asking a lot of questions.

-Timeless