Objectivism Online Forum

Which one should I read first?

Rate this topic

I just got done reading OPAR and I've been more intrigued to read The Fountain Head just because of the quotes and concepts that Dr. Piekoff pulled out of the book.

Both of the books seem very intimidating in size and I was wondering which one would be a more beneficial read considering where I'm at in learning Objectivism.

~Michael

I just got done reading OPAR and I've been more intrigued to read The Fountain Head just because of the quotes and concepts that Dr. Piekoff pulled out of the book. 

Both of the books seem very intimidating in size and I was wondering which one would be a more beneficial read considering where I'm at in learning Objectivism.

Depends on what you mean by "beneficial." First and foremost, I would suggest you read the novels for pleasure and the nonfiction books and essays for learning. To me, beyond just the sheer joy in reading the novels, the "beneficial" part may be to see how the ideas of Objectivism are concretized in terms of action, in the characters and plot of the novels. From this perspective, Atlas is more broad ranging. But, you cannot go wrong with either of the two main novels, so if you are "more intrigued" by The Fountainhead then by all means read that one first. Motivation counts.

Depends on what you mean by "beneficial." First and foremost, I would suggest you read the novels for pleasure and the nonfiction books and essays for learning. To me, beyond just the sheer joy in reading the novels, the "beneficial" part may be to see how the ideas of Objectivism are concretized in terms of action, in the characters and plot of the novels. From this perspective, Atlas is more broad ranging. But, you cannot go wrong with either of the two main novels, so if you are "more intrigued" by The Fountainhead then by all means read that one first. Motivation counts.

I didn't mean beneficial in a 'strictly learning' manor, I meant it just like you said, to see Objectivism concretized in Novel form.

I'm on my way out the door to pick up Fountain Head right now.

Thanks Stephen.

~Michael

I didn't mean beneficial in a 'strictly learning' manor, I meant it just like you said, to see Objectivism concretized in Novel form. 

I'm on my way out the door to pick up Fountain Head right now.

Careful, though. If you look for "Fountain Head" you might wind up with the 1966 "Fountain Head of Religion," a comparative study of religion. The one you want is titled "The Fountainhead." ;)

Thanks Stephen.

You're welcome, Michael.

Enjoy the book!