Objectivism Online Forum

T-Dog & Co.

Rate this topic

Devils_Advocate

Just a quick story and following questions:

For the last few months I have been running a small retail business at my school. I sold primarily Monsters, Mountain Dew, Gum, and Pepsi. It's been an amazing experience - a real hands on business class. I very much enjoyed it - the business and financial aspects of it, the sales, etc. It was a lot of fun. Not to mention the money - about $100 dollars a month, which means nearly $400 dollars over the last few months (most of it's gone now, but on paper, I had earned about $400). :dough:

Unfortunately, the administration found out about it. I fully understood the legal risks involved going in, but there was no explicit rule I had ever heard banning it. So I went ahead. This morning, after weeks of searching for me, the Vice-Principal approached me and asked if I was doing it. I had a grocery store bag with a box of monsters in it, so I couldn't well say no. I told the truth. He was obviously impressed with me, and was pretty nice through the conversation, but was quite firm that I had to stop.

I have been considering, however, forming a small "corporation" of sorts. I get supplies, the market, everything needed, and have other people sell them for me. We'd divide up the profits, and keep the business alive. And it wouldn't technically be me selling them. But I'm also wondering if I should even keep doing it - according to the Vice Principle, some kids were getting way over caffeinated. Apparently, this one kid had had 2 cups of coffee and a monster, and was getting all shaky and sick. Knowing what some people do with it, should I even continue? I just have a hard time letting go of some stuff, especially something like this. What do you think? Should I restart the business in the model I described? Should I just let it go? Any other advice?

I can relate, my school has the same rule. They wouldn't allow me to sell candy bars to raise money for a trip to Iowa for my acting group.

I have seen what caffeine can do to the people stupid enough to ingest too much of it. One of my friends is addicted to Monster, he's had heart palpitations and has had to take numerous trips to the hospital. He knows all the risks but continues to drink at least five cans a day. Obviously, this isn't a good thing. But no one is forcing him to drink that much, that is why Monster is within their rights to sell their potentially dangerous energy drink. So, you too are within your rights to sell caffeinated drinks.

However, cosnidering how much money you made selling this stuff, I would take into account what kind of learning environment you'd be helping to create. If your learning experience is harmed somehow because everyone is hyped up on the drinks you've been selling them, it would be within your best interest to stop selling those products.

I have seen what caffeine can do to the people stupid enough to ingest too much of it. One of my friends is addicted to Monster, he's had heart palpitations and has had to take numerous trips to the hospital. He knows all the risks but continues to drink at least five cans a day.

Jesus... that's why I don't drink the stuff myself, I'm too worried about something like that happening (plus I drink plenty of coffee). Sorry about your friend.

However, cosnidering how much money you made selling this stuff, I would take into account what kind of learning environment you'd be helping to create. If your learning experience is harmed somehow because everyone is hyped up on the drinks you've been selling them, it would be within your best interest to stop selling those products.

That's a very good point. I've never seen anyone get too hyped up on caffeine, but I have no reason to believe the Vice Principle is a liar. Whatever his flaws may be, he seems like a nice guy - certainly not someone who would lie to his students.

You should stop. Selling anything to kids without their parents' permission is wrong, you are not within your rights to do it. (especially since the parents have no way of stopping you)

If their parents wanted kids to drink huge amounts of caffeine, they'd buy it for them, so that's the end of the story. (I'm assuming these kids are actually underage)

Edited by Jake_Ellison

If their parents wanted kids to drink huge amounts of caffeine, they'd buy it for them, so that's the end of the story. (I'm assuming these kids are actually underage)

This is quite true. If you register what you're doing with the school, and make it explicitly clear to parents what is going on, then it might be alright. However, you're just setting this up, when people have already started sending their child to this school under a pre-agreed contract in which their children aren't sold things they aren't aware of (so basically, anything outside the cafeteria). I don't think you have any right to start changing the contract in the middle of the game.

Sorry. It does sound like you had a lot of fun and good on you for a forming a successful business, but it seems pretty illegal to me, I'm afraid.

Edited by Tenure

You should stop. Selling anything to kids without their parents' permission is wrong, you are not within your rights to do it. (especially since the parents have no way of stopping you)

Well, they can always go to the store and get it themselves. Most of the kids can already drive (you get your permit at 15 up here, and I don't sell to kids under 14).

This is quite true. If you register what you're doing with the school, and make it explicitly clear to parents what is going on, then it might be alright. However, you're just setting this up, when people have already started sending their child to this school under a pre-agreed contract in which their children aren't sold things they aren't aware of (so basically, anything outside the cafeteria). I don't think you have any right to start changing the contract in the middle of the game.

Well, it is a public school. Kids are forced here. We weren't asked to sign any contract.

Sorry. It does sound like you had a lot of fun and good on you for a forming a successful business, but it seems pretty illegal to me, I'm afraid.

Well, legality was never a big concern of mine. But thanks.

Regardless, I decided to shut down.

Well, they can always go to the store and get it themselves. Most of the kids can already drive (you get your permit at 15 up here, and I don't sell to kids under 14).

Great. Parents expect their kids can buy this stuff from a store. They do not expect it to be sold in the school.

Well, it is a public school. Kids are forced here. We weren't asked to sign any contract.

I don't know about America, but kids aren't forced to go to a specific school here. They have to go to a school, but which school they go to is a matter of choice amongst the parents. And, there is a contract signed, laying down the ground rules of what to expect at the school, and vice versa, what the school expects of the student.

Regardless, this is private property and you don't have a right to just do what you want on it, regardless of the law.

Well, legality was never a big concern of mine. But thanks.

Yes, the law does not apply if you don't want to.

Great. Parents expect their kids can buy this stuff from a store. They do not expect it to be sold in the school.

That point I can see you on.

I don't know about America, but kids aren't forced to go to a specific school here. They have to go to a school, but which school they go to is a matter of choice amongst the parents. And, there is a contract signed, laying down the ground rules of what to expect at the school, and vice versa, what the school expects of the student.

Regardless, this is private property and you don't have a right to just do what you want on it, regardless of the law.

In America, it's different. You forced to go to the Public school system you're closest too, unless you go to private school (i.e., have big $$$$$) or are home schooled. There's been a big push for vouchers (which give the parents certificates to let their child attend the school of their choice) by the Republicans and Libertarians, but it's not too popular. And here, a school is considered public property, not private.

Yes, the law does not apply if you don't want to.

What I meant by that was, I see no point in following the rules of an organization I don't agree with if the punishment (either implicit or explicit, i.e., either by disrupting the environment or my personal future, or a punishment issued by the Administration) is very small (the absolute worst thing they would do is a short suspension).

Edited by Devils_Advocate

A friend and I did pretty much the same thing in High School, though on a much smaller scale (we only sold a 24-pack of Mt Dew every day). We used the lunch money from our parents to buy the soda and then effectively doubled our daily money to get bigger lunches.

It was fun while it lasted.

Do it off school property before school?

Thought about it - may even go ahead with that - but the only problem is, you can go to the store and get it for cheaper, especially before school. That was basically my slogan - "You're stuck here for 6 hours. Drink up." We'll see, though. There may be a way to work it.