Objectivism Online Forum

V for Vendetta

Rate this topic

Pete Caya

I searched for this topic and was surprised not to find any threads made about the movie. It was released in 2005 and I was introduced to it by some friends on Monday. I absolutely loved it. V, the obvious draw for the film is a very interesting character. The only person I could think of when I saw his actions and morals was Ragnar Danneskjold in Atlas Shrugged. The only action of his that I did not agree with was his abduction of the main character (I apologize, I forgot her name).

Anyway, has anyone else seen this movie? Any input?

I have some misgivings about the main message of the movie and comic, but I very much enjoyed the theatrical nature of V. That, and his attitude. He is completely solid in his purpose, he feels no guilt for the actions he takes because he knows them to be moral* (Whether or not specific actions he took were moral is another story).

*P.S. this is only true the the graphic novel - in the movie they have to "soften the blow" of his rigid character by making him have a short guilt-trip later in the movie.

EDIT: Spelling errors.

Edited by Sarrisan

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely loved the movie. The plot was spectacular, an excellent representation of evens in a personal and societal context which lead to a brilliant, dramatic, and triumphant ending. The characters were excellent. V as more of a symbol of the revolution than a real person, per se, was a brilliant artistic piece. Added a whole layer of political philosophy and pshycology to it. I loved it.

It was not, however, perfect. (spoiler warning) V was a symbol of revolution, so his death at the end is justified. However, he is also symbol of freedom. So...how does his death correspond to the birth of freedom in England at the end? Additionally, his and Eve's own mental difficulties kind of diminish the hero effect. Not signifigantly, however.

I'd recommend it, absolutely.

Here's the review I posted on Netflix:

I enjoyed this movie, but it has major flaws. The dialogue isn't great, and it is a completely unmasked attempt at left-wing propaganda. The whole movie is one Daily Kos cliche after another, with every Christian being either a theocrat, pervert, or outright fascist, while the peace-loving Muslim community is being victimized and homosexuals are being horded into concentraion camps. Give me a break. There's even a poster with the words "Coalition of the Willing" with a swastika superimposed onto it. The Wachowskis are talented directors, and this movie is a well-made dystopian flick, but they should leave the left-wing political commentary to fellow kool-aid drinkers like Janeane Garofalo and Sean Penn, because it has no place in the cinema.

One of my favorite movies of all time. Though, I've seen it a few times, I still don't know if V was a double identity for another character or simply V.

Yeah, the fact that you never get to see his real face is one of the most effective elements of the story.

Though, I've seen it a few times, I still don't know if V was a double identity for another character or simply V.

My understanding was - as described in the movie anyway - that

he no longer knows his actual identity any more because it was burned out of him by drugs and torture etc when he was institutionalised for that cultural reengineering program or whatever it was. He took the name "V" because in that system his being the occupant of cell 5 was his only means of identification, which number was physically represented by the appropriate Roman numeral inscribed on the cell door.

JJM

The film is awful and the comic is sub-par, compared to other works by Moore. The movie is basically a Left-wing/libertarian rant against Neo-cons, and yeah Neo-cons are gross and all, but it is so predictable and sometimes offensively formulaic of any piece of liberal art. Christian religion enslaves, but the Muslim religion has beautiful texts that have been banned by the boogeyman government.

There are high points, like

the death of the Chancellor and his lackies.

. I also like the line that appeared both in the comic and movie "Ideas are bullet proof.". The entire film is peppered with goodness, but overall, it's liberal leanings sully it very badly. The action is like dumbed down Matrix.

Best part of the movie though? Proving that Natalie Portman is hot, even when bald and in a dank holding cell.