Objectivism Online Forum

Conflict and Theme

Rate this topic

source

I see in Ayn Rand's writings that she begins creating stories by inventing characters, what they do, and then asks the question "What kind of situation he can be in?" In other words, what is his conflict. Ayn Rand also said that while creating a story, the writer must think in terms of conflict.

Suppose you have a theme for a novel. How do you make conflicts relate to that theme? What comes first - the conflict, or the theme?

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm in no way an expert, but when it comes to script writing, I can tell you what I've done.

Ideally, the idea, theme, and conflict all start at the same time. I think this has maybe happened with me once or twice.

Now, what usually happens, is that I'll get either an idea/quirk (more on that later) or I'll think of something I want to make a point about (theme).

When I start with the theme, it will normally be something that I want to point out the extremes or natural conclusions of, and from there I'll work out the conflict that would best identify with it, and the characters from that.

Of course, when I start from an idea, it normally comes from a small observation or thought, and then I work out a character or situation/conflict to make an exciting enough story for it. Then, I think to myself "what can I say with a story like this?" I then write accordingly, keeping in mind both the theme and the original idea.

Usually, I like to start with the theme and then work my way to conflict, then the type of characters who would be in that conflict, as this seems to be the easier route (for me) to take. Honestly though, there's no solid-right answer as to which one to go with first. Ultimately, you need to treat both with the same respect and presence in the story.

A story without conflict is boring

A story without theme is hollow.