Objectivism Online Forum

Selflessness and duty

Rate this topic

source

Please bear in mind that I've only read the first book. I loved it and already decided it to be the best fantasy book I've ever read. However, seeing that Terry Goodkind is an admirer of Ayn Rand and her philosophy, I find it odd that he would have his protagonists speak of selflessness and duty in high regard (well, Richard doesn't speak of duty that way, he thinks it is a burden on him that he must carry).

My question is whether in later books he addresses this in any way and if he makes his protagonists realize that what they do is, in fact, selfish (rationally selfish, not traditionally)? Please answer as simple as possible, so as not to spoil any of the plot.

Thanks.

My question is whether in later books he addresses this in any way and if he makes his protagonists realize that what they do is, in fact, selfish (rationally selfish, not traditionally)? Please answer as simple as possible, so as not to spoil any of the plot.

Briefly, yes.

Goodkind doesn't really let his inner Rand out to play until the sixth book in the series, Faith of the Fallen. Before that there are hints, but he isn't consistent -- as you noticed.

Briefly, yes.

Goodkind doesn't really let his inner Rand out to play until the sixth book in the series, Faith of the Fallen. Before that there are hints, but he isn't consistent -- as you noticed.

Oh dear. I've only just finished Wizard's First Rule. I guess I'll be reading a while before that. But still, even from this first book I have learned so much so fast I have difficulty putting it into practice all at the same time. I can't wait to see what's new in the next book and knowing that later on even this issue is addressed makes me want to read it even more.

Thank you for the reply.