Objectivism Online Forum

OCON 2009

Rate this topic

Tenure

The site is up for the 2009 Summer Objectivist Conference. As an attendee in 2008, I can attest to the quality of this conference. The speakers are of a top standard, the organisation I found to be very good and the people to be incredibly interesting. I had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, and learnt a lot. I would highly recommend you go.

Most notably attending this year is John Allison, former CEO of BB&T. He will be giving a lecture on Principled Leadership, which is included in the General Admission cost.

I am still working out if I can afford to go (mostly, it's just the cost of the flight that's a problem) this year, but if I can, I hope to see you there!

I'd really like to go, but as a non-student I would be subject to the higher fee, and given that I'm also buying a house this year, it seems unlikely that I'll be able to afford it... a shame since OCON 2010 and 2011 are even farther away.

Actually, maybe I'll just apply for the $7500 FHA "tax credit" and use that to fund the trip. :D If only every insurance company could ignore reality and offer a no-interest 15-year loan with no payments for two years! We'd all be rich!!

Edited by brian0918

For those of you concerned about the costs of OCON, please bear in mind:

1.) you can buy your sessions a-la-carte and only do what you can afford

2.) they are offering discounts if you register early

3.) student discount, which most of us know of

4.) there are a few free sessions

5.) even if you don't attend the conference, you can arrange to meet your Objectivist friends there for dinner or other outside social events (as we did with a bunch of oo.netters last year in Newport Beach)

Santiago and I had hoped to attend this year in Boston, but with our recent engagement, we've decided to save our money for wedding/honeymoon expenses. We certainly had a good time with those of you we had dinner with last year, and I encourage this year's attendees to organize something similar.

In addition to the thread I started here (as adrock linked you to) I also used Facebook and my Front Range Objectivism (FRO) email list.

Well, we won't be married yet by the date of the conference, but a newlywed special would be nice. :D

Edited by K-Mac

• 3 weeks later...

There is a chance my friend John and I will be attending, though I don't know if at the same hotel or how much of the conference we'll be at. I'd love to meet a few of you. That would probably be the biggest reason for coming.

• 3 months later...

OKAY.. I'll bump this thread:

Who here is for sure signed up for OCON? Which classes are you signed up for? Will you be staying at the Seaport?

I'm in Wood / Kenner S1, and Daniels / J. Lewis S2. (A la Carte, I'm not doing the general sessions)

Who would be interested in an OO.netter meetup?

Who here has signed up for those overpriced meet-and-greet / closing reception dinners?

Santiago and I had hoped to attend this year in Boston, but with our recent engagement, we've decided to save our money for wedding/honeymoon expenses.
Well, we won't be married yet by the date of the conference, but a newlywed special would be nice. :lol:

How are things looking now, given the changes?

I'm going the cheap route - signed up for the two dinners/lectures, and that's it. My main purpose in going is to meet as many OO.netters as possible, so I'm up for any/all meetups. I'll be going with 3 other people, and may meet up with 2 others from this area once we are there.

How are things looking now, given the changes?

Well, we can't win for losing.

We eloped to save money and are planning a honeymoon in September; however, our landlord is having problems with his HOA, so now we may have to move by August even though our lease isn't up until August of 2010. If we have to move, the honeymoon is definitely on hold. Yes, our landlord should/would be responsible for the moving expenses/damages; however, he's been unemployed for months and there's nothing there to sue for. :)

I joked earlier about making OCON our honeymoon. If I weren't so needing to sit on a beach and do nothing but drink cocktails right now, I'd do it!

So there's my sob story about OCON 2009. Hope to see you all next year! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
I'd even consider going down just to meet certain people.

Not me. I'd go, if I could ever make it past Amherst to even get to Boston, which I highly doubt I even could due to my ongoing fascination with Dickinson, I'd go to listen to Lisa VanDamme. I can't describe properly, so I won't attempt to either, just how important I regard her with the future of education, with the pedigogical revolution she's bringing about. Oh! To be in her classroom at OCON! But I probably wouldn't be able to pass up Dickinson's bedroom. And I am not implying anything at all sexual with that either, btw. I want to be in the room she was in for so many many years someday in my life. I don't want to travel to anywhere in the world, but there, her place, and her garden. But anyways, I probably should start to keep things to myself more here.

Oh, my, I didn't realize just what she would be giving a talk on - it's Ibsen! He fascinates me as well, I and he are similar in certain ways. Oh! (Ok, I'm done) I'll at least be able to bring that talk to me, via ARB - but not Dickinson's place :thumbsup: (OK, now I'm done)

Edited by intellectualammo

• 4 weeks later...

Could we know that ahead of time before asking for a proposed plan? :lol: Do you really want to wait until mid-week for a meet up dinner?

Dinner on the 7th?

6th is Tara Smith at 8. Don't want to miss that one.

Could we know that ahead of time before asking for a proposed plan? ;) Do you really want to wait until mid-week for a meet up dinner?

Well, no. If anyone wants to go out later in the evening, any evening, I'm up for it. I'm coming with a friend from here, and maybe a couple others. I'm sure they'd all be up for it as well.

Brian, looks like you and I are the only ones participating in this discussion. I know Kathryn and Rory will also be there, so not enough for critical mass to plan something. I suggest we do a pick up. Plus we all have other affiliations that are probalby larger (OAC students, Diana's Obloggers, etc) which are all planning some meet ups as well. Tag along! We'll be sure to include you.

Eliot, you should come down none the less. Let me know when you're here. I'd like to see you and Thaissa again!

Brian, looks like you and I are the only ones participating in this discussion. I know Kathryn and Rory will also be there, so not enough for critical mass to plan something. I suggest we do a pick up. Plus we all have other affiliations that are probalby larger (OAC students, Diana's Obloggers, etc) which are all planning some meet ups as well. Tag along! We'll be sure to include you.

Eliot, you should come down none the less. Let me know when you're here. I'd like to see you and Thaissa again!

I'll be there, as will my wife.

When they have one in Nashville, I'll go. Someone tell them that there are O'ists in the South, too, not just on the coasts.

It was in Colorado year before last and will be in Las Vegas next year, I believe.